• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

lathe 2.5mm spacers?

monstaru

TOYOTA 4cyl carrier into 6 cyl
So, Daves offroad was suppose to get some 2.5 mm spacers to help accomplish this task.

Has anyone here done this, have some, or willing to run some up?
Local machine shops want an hours wage.Which isn't bad i guess, but would rather have someone familiar with automotive stuff run them off.

cheers

Putting a 4cyl diff in a 6 cyl opening is ghetto.

Both diffs are weak and need ALL the help they can. Then throw in some more paces for things to move /fail and you got a recipe from the ghetto.

Just sell/trade/buy the right parts.

Oh, daves has a great rep!!! :rolleyes:

If you want to put a 4 cylinder lunchbox locker in a V6 housing just get an fj80 high pinion open carrier and pop the craptastic locker in there. It slides right into the V6 housing no mods needed.

Where do the spacers go exactly?
The spacers go in between the 4 cyl carrier and v6 bearing.It fills in the 5mm difference between the two.

And yeah, Daves has a shitty reputation up here.He seems to treat locals alot better.

As far as ghetto is concerned, I would say folks do way worse things that are ghetto.

I hava 4cyl locker, and a v6 third with my gearset in it.Why not try to do it?

Lateral movement is not there due to pressfit.And made out of a good steel there is not a high concern for walk, and or wear.

Whatever.it would be cool to try I think.
:fawkdancesmiley:

I got this third from Charlie .
I honestly can't remember what it was.
It was when he went to 60's yo....;) oil
Cheers.

Post a GOOD :redneck: pic of what you have...someone here will ID it for you...:awesomework:

Take the money you'd waste getting spacers made and put it with the money you get from selling that piece of **** to some sucker and buy a proper V6 locker. Unless you're wanting to put that in the rear axle. If thats the case do as I suggested but only after you have someone punch you in the ****. Auto lockers are the most annoying thing to drive on the street ever. Just weld the fawker and toss that lockwrong up front till it breaks. It shouldn't take long to break pins and round the teeth over so it just ratchets without that annoying side effect of traction. :haha:

I have a spool in the back.The pinion teeth and ring gear are chipped to ****.So I bought another V6 third to throw in the front.
Just happenedd to see a thread on Pirate about spacers for the reverse retro.lol

Thought I would hit up the machinist types on here and see what they thought.
I was gonna run it up front till it broke, then I ran a pattern and figured the gears would give out first.So I was gonna swap it into the V6 third....
And I never said anything about driving on the street :fawkdancesmiley:
I guess I'll try to sell it.lol
cheers

That locker is JUNK.

If you missed it the first time, JUNK.

Your idea was a bad one even for a detroit, but its a complete waste of time for that JUNK.

Run, run, run from that junker. Dont put in your truck or you will get cut short a days wheeling and be rewarded with buying stuff twice and a extra front axle teardown (everyones favorite!)

I have a spool in the back.The pinion teeth and ring gear are chipped to ****.

It is SO worth it to have a PRO with TONS of experience to set up your diffs to avoid this exact problem.

90 percent of toy gearsets were set up by lazy people or KIDS.

Gears are an investment in your wheeling enjoyment, not a part to "save a buck" on.

I see this **** every day. The guy thinks his right foot killed his diff. When in reality it was failing the moment the amature instal was performed. :awesomework:

It is SO worth it to have a PRO with TONS of experience to set up your diffs to avoid this exact problem.

90 percent of toy gearsets were set up by lazy people or KIDS.

Gears are an investment in your wheeling enjoyment, not a part to "save a buck" on.

I see this **** every day. The guy thinks his right foot killed his diff. When in reality it was failing the moment the amature instal was performed. :awesomework:

The chipped teeth are in the same third as the ****-lock.
The rear is AWESOME, because it was stock and I didna mess with the pinion to put in the spool lol

I have a third that I just need a locker for now...I feel pretty confident I can install it right.
Maybe when I get another locker I'll come over and bring you some beers to make sure I didna **** it up..:haha:
cheers

Just the locker is easy. Just measure backlash prior to tear down and set it the same upon reassembly and set the spanners as tight as ya can. Recheck, recheck recheck. You will be good.

I made a set for my high pinion to put a 4 cyl grizzly locker in it last dec.have been using it very hard and have not had any problems with it. Mark

I made a set for my high pinion to put a 4 cyl grizzly locker in it last dec.have been using it very hard and have not had any problems with it. Mark

That is good to hear. There is no reason that spacers shouldn't work. I went ahead and picked up a v6 Detroit anyway. But I still think this can be a viable option. Thanks for the input.
cheers