• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Power stroke ?

Brian H

Im going to buy a 96 f250 4x4 power stroke on saturday.It has 110000 miles .It has a 5 speed tranny. What kinda problems do they have around these miles? I know with a cummins the injector pump goes out around 100000.

No bs answers .

Only probs you will encounter is the Cam Position Sensor going out. The 7.3 is a pretty good motor, just dont rev the shiat out of it.

PORTER said:
Only probs you will encounter is the Cam Position Sensor going out. The 7.3 is a pretty good motor, just dont rev the shiat out of it.

After i get it Mike you will have to help me with the goodies!!:D

Check and make sure the injectors and glow plugs have been done. They usually go somewhere between 70,000-90,000 miles, but have seen a couple go as long as what you posted. Also check for a dual mass fly wheel.

Brian H said:
Im going to buy a 96 f250 4x4 power stroke on saturday.It has 110000 miles .It has a 5 speed tranny. What kinda problems do they have around these miles? I know with a cummins the injector pump goes out around 100000.

No bs answers .

The stock dual mass flywheel will likely eventually come apart.

The "recall" was on the stock airbox with the two plastic bolt/screws in the lid. It didn't hold down the lid good enough and dirt was getting into motors and ruining them before the 100000mi warranty was up. Fixing it is simple, buy a tymar from dale isley (check diesel stop for info).

I had an old thread on what people had replaced in their rigs on the dieselstop...you'll have to search the archives though.

By the way, the ford i-beam front suspension can be expensive to maintain as compared to a solid front 60 like in the f350s.

CPS, get a spare one now. They seem to last about 100,000mi.

PS If you want 30hp for $1 do a 10k mod (check dieselstop for info).

i have got a 95 with about 192000 miles still going strong but i just had to replace the high presser oil pump that runs injectors spendy around 800$ or so just for the pump and relief valve thay tend to go around 100000 and then there will be the clutch in the fall more money all and all thou a good truck

Tankota said:
PS If you want 30hp for $1 do a 10k mod (check dieselstop for info).

Thought that only worked on 99+ PSD? Im in the process of building my own at the moment that has 3 settings, stock, lil more, and all out. :redneck:

Should be due for injectors and they are about $400 each new or about $200 each rebuilt. CPS may be going bad but it's $200 max and 15 min to replace.

It's a good rig, if it is still stock in the clutch department you will want to upgrade as soon as possible.

CPS is a no brainer, just carry one in the glove box with a wrench to replace it. Mine went out @ 120k.

Other than a crappy ride the Ford trucks are good rigs. The steering on them is old school big time so don't expect much on the handling thing, you have to "herd it" down the road.

The 7.3 likes a 50 to 60 hp chip, after that you are wasting money, unless your out for a hot rod, don't wast the time and money on "goodies". That would be the wrong truck for that.

Another thing to look out for is the under valve cover wiring harnes's, they like to melt down:mad:

Brian H said:
Kelly books are worthless, get a friend in the car business with a wholesalers book.

The average used car is marked up 50 to 70% of actual wholesale cost. That is were the money is "really" made in the car sales business. New cars are not were it's at for the big bucks like most people think.

I bought a 99 PSD with way less miles than the one your looking at for 18k out the door 2 years ago. It was loaded to the gills too and a extended cab long box with the manual transferase shifter and not the electric junk that fails at the worst time.

It also had Weld wheels on 33's with a $2500+ canopy and an Banks exhaust already done with an intake system. I will admit I shopped for a year for a good deal like that.

If I could of cashed out the truck I would even done better.

I have seen 96's go for 8 to 10k for over a year now. You just have to shop and you will find a better deal. It also depends on were you buy, the Puget Sound area is defiantly not the place, go east or way south and the deals are there.

Brian H said:

No bs answers .

yeah, stay away from the chevy's.... you can't handle the power!:flipoff: :D

Dude said:
The 7.3 likes a 50 to 60 hp chip, after that you are wasting money, unless your out for a hot rod, don't wast the time and money on "goodies". That would be the wrong truck for that.

I don't agree with this one if I read it right. You can get a lot of bang from the goodies but on a Powerstroke most of them are expensive.