• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Power stroke ?

Jobless said:
I've never understood and still don't understand why people say that the Cummins is a great motor but the dodge is a piece of ****?

I never said the Dodge was a POS just the Ford is a better truck IMHO. I bought a Ford for other reasons that have nothing to do with brand or Powerstroke vs Cummins. Everyone shoud make up their own mind and buy the truck that's right for them, just don't be a sheeple.:rolleyes:

Binder said:
Everyone shoud make up their own mind and buy the truck that's right for them, just don't be a sheeple.:rolleyes:
:clappy: :clappy: :clappy: exactly the way I feel, except I would have to take 2 rigs to make the one I want. :cool:

Brian H said:
Im going to buy a 96 f250 4x4 power stroke on saturday.It has 110000 miles .It has a 5 speed tranny. What kinda problems do they have around these miles? I know with a cummins the injector pump goes out around 100000.

No bs answers .

Ive' owned 4 cummins over 200K and the (1) at 218k (2) at 245K and (1) at 279K and not one of them had needed an injection pump yet. The 24 Valves have a problem with the lift pump, when it fails it takes out the injection pump (because it it lubricated by diesel) Easy fix.....put a fuel pressure gauge on it and when it fails shut it off before you do any damage.

Dude said:
yes that is true, and a PSD is a waste of money to even "hot rod" the motor.

We all know the Cummings is the biggest bang for the buck, but the engine is in a POS truck that can't handle the motor, exp: trans, and front end components such as track bar problems and misalliance crap.

Now if you take a PSD and drop a Cummings in it with a good burly built trans you have the ultimate truck and it will lay down a 10 second run and still can be used for towing and DD duty's with an adjustable program for the engine it's self.

The PSD is a tank in weight but is nice to have that with a heavy load towed to keep the stability at freeway speeds of 70 mph.

I personally, if I buy another diesel, will be dropping a Cummings in a PSD, with a built auto with some "smoking" goodies. :D

I am with jobless on this one

NV4500 (yes I know about 5 th gear but its a whole lot cheaper to rebuild than a ZF 5 spd) Some say the ZF is stronger but it doesn't get put through the torque produced by a cummins and I have known of quite a few needing rebuilds before 200K:kissmyass:

Dana 80 (stronger than a sterling....larger everything):rolleyes:

Front Axle D60(uses the same part # ball joint as your Ford HP60) Both have crappy unit bearings (94-up dodge) So I only see a trackbar problem that is easy to fix with a $65 part (lukes link) If you want a good front axle get a 89-93 (Dodge kingpin D60) or a older (non ball joint D60 for your Ford) but fo all the towing duties and 4 wheel drive on snowy roads I have never had a problem with my crappy front axle in My 94-97 POS Dodges Iv'e owned.:corn:

If you think you can have a 10 second Dodge Cummins Or Ford or Whatever and still use it for towing duties I think you need to educate your self a little more and get back to us on that. :rolleyes:

As for the 7.3.................It would be my second choice for a diesel truck. Most all of them will run over 200K without problems if maintained and I think 350k is not out of the questions if kept up. I wouldn't buy a 6.Slow (because of all the problems they have) and as for the chevies....you can have your alum headed light duty diesel, I'll stick with cast iron, thanks.:stirpot:

Well fullywrecked I guess nothing is reversible on hop ups huh. :rolleyes:

I guess if you don't go full on nuts with the mechanicals you might just get a 12 second runner.

What the hell do I know, I just seem to pull things off that most people can't.

and the diesel argument is getting really old and not worth my time, especially coming from you. :; :kiss:

I'm glad someone has a clue here.....

THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A PERFECT TRUCK.

My cousins '02 Dodge has just over 100k on it, and its eating front tires, gone thru 4 sets of front brakes (never towed a thing in its life), steering is loose as hell, etc....

My '00 PSD had ~100k on it, and the brakes were WAY BETTER then the dodge, it tracked straight @ 85mph, it was quieter, the dash and door panels didn't rattle. Sure, I smoked the auto trans, but do what I did to my trans in a auto CTD....you'd be out a trans too.

The Cummins is a better motor, the Ford is a better truck, and the Chevy drives like a car.

So yeah, I'd love the chevy interior, the ford shell, and the Cummins motor.....I guess dodge gets left out on that one, sorry Sarg :corn:

Kelly said:
I'm glad someone has a clue here.....

THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A PERFECT TRUCK.

My cousins '02 Dodge has just over 100k on it, and its eating front tires, gone thru 4 sets of front brakes (never towed a thing in its life), steering is loose as hell, etc....

My '00 PSD had ~100k on it, and the brakes were WAY BETTER then the dodge, it tracked straight @ 85mph, it was quieter, the dash and door panels didn't rattle. Sure, I smoked the auto trans, but do what I did to my trans in a auto CTD....you'd be out a trans too.

The Cummins is a better motor, the Ford is a better truck, and the Chevy drives like a car.

So yeah, I'd love the chevy interior, the ford shell, and the Cummins motor.....I guess dodge gets left out on that one, sorry Sarg :corn:
Damn, for once Kelly actually seems like he knows what he is talking about:flipoff: . I absolutely love my 06 Dodge, but if I were to change anything it would be a more sofisticated dash.:corn:

Dude said:
Well fullywrecked I guess nothing is reversible on hop ups huh. :rolleyes:

I guess if you don't go full on nuts with the mechanicals you might just get a 12 second runner.

What the hell do I know, I just seem to pull things off that most people can't.

and the diesel argument is getting really old and not worth my time, especially coming from you. :; :kiss:

Show me a 10 second flat tow rig thats reliable and can gross over 20k. Everyone has their opinion, I have one but I use facts to state what I post so lets hear some facts there DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!:rolleyes: :stirpot:

If I had the money I'd buy the International 4 dr and get the cummins.

Last edited:
Fullywrecked said:
Show me a 10 second flat tow rig thats reliable and can gross over 20k. Everyone has their opinion, I have one but I use facts to state what I post so lets hear some facts there DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!:rolleyes: :stirpot:

word!!!!
:corn: :corn: :corn:

.....I guess dodge gets left out on that one, sorry Sarg :corn:[/QUOTE]

there is nothing to be sorry about I have a great tow rig and your girl friend drives you around:corn:

Fullywrecked said:

wich part of "your not worth my time" didn't you understand?? :haha: :hi:

Dude said:
wich part of "your not worth my time" didn't you understand?? :haha: :hi:

I must be, because your taking your "time" to reply!:kissmyass: :flipoff: :corn:

Which is how you spell it DUDE!

I paid $11,500 for my 1997 crewcab F-350 six months ago. Had to go to Wenatchee to find a good one. Local dealers are trying to move over to Medina to hobnob with Bill and the M.S. boys.

Well for one thing.. I want to know how someone got the idea that they can drop a Cummins in a Ford and make it a 10 second daily driver tow rig easily. I know of ONE truck that has done just that, and only one. And trust me he doesn't tow with it.
Dodges love to eat front brakes because the rears don't work at all. You need to put the chevy cylinders in the rear to make em work (sad I know)
Fords will last for a long time. Just do like Porter said and don't fawk it up by doing something the motor just doesn't like doing (like over-revving)
That "Bang for buck" is an understatement for a cummins.. I'd like to see anyone make the power I have for the money I have put into it.

And Brian mine was really starting to annouy me with the noise inside the cab. After my recent turbo upgrade (4" outlet istead of 3"). My truck runs SO much quieter and SO much smoother.. It's amazing how smooth she is at 3700 RPM. Of course I replaced that annouying engine noise with a little louder whistle.. But I can stand that one :D
Fords are a great truck.. It's just whether or not you get addicted to it like the rest of us have. You just crave more (as usual), and start to outgrow what your truck is willing to do.. But if you want just a moderate 300-350 rwhp truck that tows great and has no issues. You'll be happy with either one. My truck had it's quirks.. I fixed em. And it's running/driving damn good. So I'm done. Doesn't pay to try and keep up with the "Big dogs"

Lucky Jeff said:
Well for one thing.. I want to know how someone got the idea that they can drop a Cummins in a Ford and make it a 10 second daily driver tow rig easily. I know of ONE truck that has done just that, and only one. And trust me he doesn't tow with it.
Dodges love to eat front brakes because the rears don't work at all. You need to put the chevy cylinders in the rear to make em work (sad I know)
Fords will last for a long time. Just do like Porter said and don't fawk it up by doing something the motor just doesn't like doing (like over-revving)
That "Bang for buck" is an understatement for a cummins.. I'd like to see anyone make the power I have for the money I have put into it.

And Brian mine was really starting to annouy me with the noise inside the cab. After my recent turbo upgrade (4" outlet istead of 3"). My truck runs SO much quieter and SO much smoother.. It's amazing how smooth she is at 3700 RPM. Of course I replaced that annouying engine noise with a little louder whistle.. But I can stand that one :D
Fords are a great truck.. It's just whether or not you get addicted to it like the rest of us have. You just crave more (as usual), and start to outgrow what your truck is willing to do.. But if you want just a moderate 300-350 rwhp truck that tows great and has no issues. You'll be happy with either one. My truck had it's quirks.. I fixed em. And it's running/driving damn good. So I'm done. Doesn't pay to try and keep up with the "Big dogs"

Very well put Jeff..... :cool:

sarg said:
.....I guess dodge gets left out on that one, sorry Sarg :corn:

there is nothing to be sorry about I have a great tow rig and your girl friend drives you around:corn:[/quote]

i NEED ONE :mad: :mad: :mad: (not a gf :D )

Jeepasaurusrex said:
Thought that only worked on 99+ PSD? Im in the process of building my own at the moment that has 3 settings, stock, lil more, and all out. :redneck:
Works on all PSDs...you can use a dashpot and make it a completely automatically adjustable (linked to the throttle pedal output). I have mine on a switch so I can actually tell the difference of "on" and "off".

Dude said:
The PSD is a tank in weight but is nice to have that with a heavy load towed to keep the stability at freeway speeds of 70 mph.

Just FYI, my crewcab 4x4 F350 PSD weighs about 7300lbs. A dodge extended cab weights close to 8000lbs (If I recall correctly they may weigh over 8000lbs).