• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TX Vacation

Salt grass steak houses tend to be pretty good... Awesome Mac n cheese (my favorite veggy)

Re:

paradisepwoffrd said:
It's not exactly what got asked for but: in houston go get the steak fajitas at Lupe Tortillas. There is also a Rudy's in houston I'd you want some bbq. Austin has a ton of bbq places: Rudy's, Salt Lick, and Franklin's are top of my list.
Not sure if serious...?

Lupe Tortilla is about as commercialized texmex as you could get. If you're in the middle of the migrant hub of messcans, why wouldn't you eat authentic messcan food?

Rudy's is a gas station/bbq joint, surely you went off the beaten path and experienced better bbq than that while in texas?

gottagofast said:
Salt grass steak houses tend to be pretty good... Awesome Mac n cheese (my favorite veggy)
Salt grass is better than Texas roadhouse, but I'd suggest Kirbys, Flemmings, or Perrys for a streak. I personally like Raffas on Lake houston, and order the gouda Mac and cheese while you're there.

Thanks ya'll. Keep the suggestions coming. I am paying attention but I'm just really busy at work right now. My wife is watching and she is really the head-planner anyway.

LightBnDr said:
So check out enchanted rock. It's gonna be west of Austin. Unmatched hiking in the area and gorgeous views. They have some really cool natural caves that are not commercialized. You climb and tunnel until you get scared.

If you have booked schliterbaun, then you'll be close to many other super cool things.

You gotta float the camal river. Runs around the water park. Google it

You gotta pass through wimberly and hit Jacobs well, as well as blue hole along cypress creek. Great ice cold swimming holes

I think you have plenty of ideas to have a great stay there. Have fun man

These are all good suggestions.
I would add Hamilton Pool out in Dripping Springs to the list.
There are kayak and canoe rentals on lake Austin, and there is a walking path that goes around most of it. The water was up over the path in several spots this last weekend, and I think the rental places were closed because of it. But, it might be back down some by the time you get here.

Hucklebuggy. . . .

Look at him go. Now he's out on the town, takin scenic walks at dusk, renting swan shaped paddle boats. Takin brisk dips in the pool in the spring. Love ya buddy. :)

After Landing in Houston we went to an American Girl doll store for my daughter since we don't have them where we're from. Spent more on one damn doll outfit than I do for 2 of my own but that's another convo. The lady there recommended Texas Cattle and Land Company for a good steak. We were not at all impressed with what we got but on to San Antonio we went. Stayed in Seguin and then went to Schlitterbahn today. Had a blast there and went to dinner at the Tower of Americas. That place needs to be ****ing shut down, it is a health hazard. Terrible experience! Ready for bed, we went to a local Motel 6 and while I was checking in the McDonald's next store got robbed and someone asked my wife in the car outside for drugs. Decided to GTFO of the city to spend the night instead. Not giving up on San Antonio yet though, would like to find something fun for tomorrow before we head to Austin to see the FIL. Anyone got any suggestions for San Anton?

Tour the Alamo is pretty cool if you're into historical stuff. The river walk is also there but I don't think your daughter would enjoy it too much.

Texas Land and Cattle isn't much better than a steak from Chillis or Applebees. We always go to Mi Tierra for mexican in San Antonio. There's the Alamo, Riverwalk, Fiesta Texas, and Sea world. I wasn't impressed with Sea world the last time I went. There are good and bad sides to San Antonio, you're most likely on the older poorer side.

Re:

In Austin now. Probably have more than enough to fill the rest of our time. Thanks y'all!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Re:

patooyee said:
In Austin now. Probably have more than enough to fill the rest of our time. Thanks y'all!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sorry just saw the thread. I totally let ya down man. Was in Kansas, then was up in East Texas, just never got on hardline.
When you come back, I'll put you on to some places.

And considering you hit American Doll in Houston, you're going to be pissed that Taste of Texas is just one exit further West and 10x better than whatever you wanna call that stuff that Texas L&C does.

Hope Texas treated you mostly good.

Oh hey man if you do hit the bridge caverns you gotta do the zip line/tight rope course. 3 levels of free walking and tight rope balance. Just connected by a little ole bitty sweat soaked harness. Lol

I hung my sack out a couple times at the top. Serious adrenaline rush. You gotta do it

Sadly, I'm back at work now. Guess I might as well sum up my trip.

Wed: Fly into Houston, went to American Doll and Texas Land and Cattle. Had smoked sirloin, was just OK. Went most of the way to San Antonio, stayed in a nice, quiet Hotel 6 in Seguin.

Thurs: Went to Slitterbahn most of the day. This place was awesome! It was perfect for us because my daughter loves water parks but got injured at the last one we went to so she was very gun-shy. It turned out even some of the extreme rides here are tame compared to other parks and she rode pretty much everything and had a blast. We got there at 10:45am, got, literally, the front space in the lot, and didn't encounter a line all day long. I can't say enough good stuff about Schlitterbahn. We were going to drive to Austin afterwards but decided we want to see a little more of San Anton before leaving so we went out to dinner at the Tower of the Americas. This is where hell began.

The a/c there wasn't working, it was about 95* inside, entire restaurant reeked of BO. The waiter and food were good, spent about $150 on dinner before tip. After we went up to the observation deck for some fresh air and sights. Waited about 20 minutes for the elevator down, got in, and it malfunctioned, got stuck, door came about 4" open and we were trapped. My wife has a phobia of elevators and I have a severe disdain for being trapped inside small metal boxes without a/c and about 15 other people. They actually had a elevator operator in there and he said it had been happening all day and now we had to wait for a repairman to be called. I was like, "**** THAT!" I went Hulk on the door and forced it open, I think maybe breaking it further. I don't think the elevator guy liked it but everyone on board thanked me for it. So now we were trapped at the top of the tower without a/c. Again, i said **** THAT and started taking the stairs. About 3 flights down we were stopped by restaurant staff who said we were not allowed to use the stairs. Behind us a staff member came down the stairs screaming, "Who the **** let white people in my stairwell?!?!? I'm going to ****ing kill any white person I see in here!" I was not at all pleased by this since my 4-year-old daughter was with us and once he rounded the corner and saw me I think he realized that he was very unlikely to succeed in killing me with his bare hands so his tone changed drastically. He just left the area after that and we waited until our original server walked by. He told us the emergency doors at the bottom were locked and we could not go down there. I asked him what would happen in the event of a fire and he didn't know. He said he would go get his manager to help us. The only way back to the elevator lobby was through the kitchen at this point and I could tell they didn't want me in there. We waited in the stairwell for a few minutes, which smelled like putrid rotting food. They also had many dirty dishes stored on the actual stairs as well as dry stock food items stored on the concrete floor. Eventually the "manager" came out, who happened to be the original guy who wanted to kill us. He could tell some serious hate was about to be laid upon him so he just broke down, brought us through the kitchen, and back out to the elevator lobby. (Different elevator that we couldn't get to from the observation deck.) While walking through the kitchen I noticed many health code violations (since I own restaurants) and I will say that I firmly believe that place would not survive an inspection by my health department. Eventually an elevator came and we made it out. That place needs to be torn down with the staff inside.

At that point it was time to find a room so we went to the nearest Motel 6. While I was in the lobby a woman tried to steal my wife's cell phone and, after failing, asked if she had any "dope" on her. The McDonald's next door was also robbed. I came out to police chasing a guy down the street, turned right back around and got a refund. Tired of San Anton by this point, we went back to the sleepy Seguin Motel 6 and enjoyed another pleasant night.

Fri. we drove the the FIL's house. On the way we stopped at Natural Bridge Animal Park and fed all the animals, which was fun, but not as cool as the one in Pine Mountain, GA. Half the park was closed due to high water crossings. Went out for dinner at Matt's Mexican with the FIL and his g/f. It was good.

Sat. we went to The Oasis for a little while, did a little touring of Austin. Went down and watched the flood gates for a little while. Austin is fricking beautiful. Got ice cream at Amy's. Did dinner at a really nice, expensive steak house near The Oasis. Forget the name but I had a 28-oz T-Bone and it was so good that it could almost be described as sexual.

Sun. we floated the Komal which was awesome. We still wanted more steak so we went to Austin Land and Cattle for a 10-oz filet. If the t-bone was sexual, this filet was orgasmic. Walked half a mile to do dessert at Amy's again. This was near Austin Community College and was a fairly safe / walking-friendly area of town.

Mon. we packed up and left!

There were a bunch of stuff that we wanted to do but couldn't either because of high water or age restrictions on our daughter. I really wanted to hike Pedernales but 97* temps made that an unpleasant thought. We had rented a boat for Sat. but there were bacteria warnings on the lake that morning so we got a refund.

Everything really is bigger in TX. They have gas stations the size of super Wal-Marts, huge HEB grocery stores, and event he people are bigger. :) I can't talk though because with steak that good everywhere I would be 500 lbs. We look forward to going back and visiting again someday.

Latest posts