• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SBC 2ND POWER STEERING PUMP

Humpy

im researching rear steer pumps and would really like to run a 2nd pump for the rear...is there anyone out there that sells a bracket kit for the old school small block motors to run a 2nd power steering pump?? i could prob make my own but would rather just buy one so i know the belt and all that line up perfect.. its a serpentine system...

on a side note has any of you guys tried the dalton electric 12v dual acting pump to run the rear steer?? it seems affordable and would be nice to still have steering to get out the woods if motor died...thanks for all the input

I have searched for. 3 days on using electric for rear pump and everybody says they are buying one and never gives a final report on how it works out lol I'm lookin for someone that actually used it to chime in

Krc pumps and krc brackets work really well, you just need the head mount and block mount. And a 3 row bottom pulley and 2 row water pump pulley.You also have to change the spacers on the head mount to get the belts lined up right but that's simple.I'm going to change my rear steer Psc vavle to an electric joystick just so I can move my valve wherever I want it, Right now I'm running rockwells and my rear driveshafts front u joint is all over my hand valve.

Humpy said:
I have searched for. 3 days on using electric for rear pump and everybody says they are buying one and never gives a final report on how it works out lol I'm lookin for someone that actually used it to chime in

I had a rig with electric pump/rear steer and the rear always wanted to float around and wouldnt stay locked straight. Hit a bump and it would aim one way a tad and eventually wonder to the other side at the next rut or bump in the road. Huge pain in the ass. It never went straight w/o being sideways. Ended up using a short bar to lock out the rear steer the whole time i had the rig.

It may have just been screwed up when i bought the rig so im not gonna say all electric pumps do it. I searched and searched and came to the conclusion that it may of had the wrong valve block on it but thats just a guess.

Call some of the places selling the pumps and maybe they know enough about them to help

Joc said:
I had a rig with electric pump/rear steer and the rear always wanted to float around and wouldnt stay locked straight. Hit a bump and it would aim one way a tad and eventually wonder to the other side at the next rut or bump in the road. Huge pain in the ass. It never went straight w/o being sideways. Ended up using a short bar to lock out the rear steer the whole time i had the rig.

It may have just been screwed up when i bought the rig so im not gonna say all electric pumps do it. I searched and searched and came to the conclusion that it may of had the wrong valve block on it but thats just a guess.

Call some of the places selling the pumps and maybe they know enough about them to help

The electric/hydro unit on that Samurai didn't/doesnt' have directional check valves

Joc said:

Many valves will do that, worsening as they wear out, without pilot-operated check valves.

Can the pilot operated checkvalve be added to an electric system? It looks like time I buy brackets and a pump and solenoid setup I can get the dalton setup for under $400...

Humpy said:
Can the pilot operated checkvalve be added to an electric system? It looks like time I buy brackets and a pump and solenoid setup I can get the dalton setup for under $400...

you don't have to add it, just buy a new setup with checkvalves.

But, to be able to use your rear steer a lot, you'll need at least dual batteries and a good alternator (or dual alternators). They pull a LOT of amperage.

We had a pretty extensive discussion on here and Pirate about both setups and a bunch of different parts listed

All star performance sells a bracket that bolts the pump down on the bottom of the block and the other pump bolts on the head the brackets are I think $40 bucks each and they use the jeep style pumps

Humpy said:

You are active in one of the threads TBI is referring to on Pirate already.

TBItoy said:
you don't have to add it, just buy a new setup with checkvalves.

But, to be able to use your rear steer a lot, you'll need at least dual batteries and a good alternator (or dual alternators). They pull a LOT of amperage.

We had a pretty extensive discussion on here and Pirate about both setups and a bunch of different parts listed

I believe that this is one of the others he is referring to:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1104687-electric-ps-pump.html

The output of those 12-volt hydraulic power packs like you are referring to is very low compared to a belt driven pump. The motor is roughly the size of a winch motor and therefore draws similar power. So imagine a charging system able to keep up with using the winch on a regular basis. (Not impossible, some people do it.) They are also very low duty cycle, some a round 5%. They can be higher pressure than a belt driven pump though so you can sometimes make up for the inherent lack of speed by using a smaller ram. But smaller rams use smaller shafts which bend easier, so its always a trade off.

Basically all the research has been done,

I'm doing 2 power steering pumps. ( Saginaw P pumps, just because I have the brackets, otherwise I'd use TC or 235 pumps)

Rohlingoffroad said:
All star performance sells a bracket that bolts the pump down on the bottom of the block and the other pump bolts on the head the brackets are I think $40 bucks each and they use the jeep style pumps

ALL48500.jpg

ALL48502.jpg

http://www.allstarperformance.com/product.htm?prod=407
http://www.allstarperformance.com/specSheets/pdf/407.pdf

That's cool, didn't know that existed.

I have one of their dual pass radiators in my buggy and couldn't be happier with it.

Wow the allstar performance seems the way to go with dual pumps... I like that... I guess I changed my mind again lol thx for all the info fellas... Ill prob run the Northman solenoid valve but am undecided on how to switch it ... I have from couple different people the joystick is a little different to wire... I'm leanin towards a 3 pole momentary rocker switch but haven't decided yet