• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1/2" Impact

hlb3

Zombie Hunter
So I have finally got around to redoing the half-assed leaky air lines in my shop so I figure its time to invest in a new 1/2" impact. I want something decent, but don't want to break the bank since it's only going to get the occasional use, preferably in the $100-$125 price range. Just curious if anybody had any suggestions.

Harbor Freight "Earth Quake". I don't have much to compare it to other than a 1/2 dozen cheapys over the years which turned me off to air impacts, but I picked one up on advice from Pirate and have been VERY pleased, especially for the price. Has does everything I have wanted or expected it to do so far.

Has gotten good reviews over all, comparable to more high end guns.

I won't use anything but IR composites...I found one at swap meet for $40 a few yrs ago, and still use it! You can also go to Sears and get their composite gun, which is an IR with a chrome nose being the only difference for about $150 new...This was a few yrs ago now.
As for reliability, I have only replaced the gun trigger once on one of mine a few yrs ago now (have a couple, a quiet one, and a normal one), and I have had that gun for going on 15 yrs...the normal is STILL my goto gun for pesky Honda crank bolts, has not dissappointed me ever.

What little amount of air tools I have left (upgraded to battery), The HF earthquake is the 1/2 air gun I still use on a daily bases. Cheap, and great no question ask warranty.

Harbor Freight "Earth Quake". I don't have much to compare it to other than a 1/2 dozen cheapys over the years which turned me off to air impacts, but I picked one up on advice from Pirate and have been VERY pleased, especially for the price. Has does everything I have wanted or expected it to do so far.

Has gotten good reviews over all, comparable to more high end guns.
What little amount of air tools I have left (upgraded to battery), The HF earthquake is the 1/2 air gun I still use on a daily bases. Cheap, and great no question ask warranty.

I had read some good things about the Earthquake, good to know its true. I'll have to look into them a little more.

I won't use anything but IR composites...I found one at swap meet for $40 a few yrs ago, and still use it! You can also go to Sears and get their composite gun, which is an IR with a chrome nose being the only difference for about $150 new...This was a few yrs ago now.
As for reliability, I have only replaced the gun trigger once on one of mine a few yrs ago now (have a couple, a quiet one, and a normal one), and I have had that gun for going on 15 yrs...the normal is STILL my goto gun for pesky Honda crank bolts, has not dissappointed me ever.

I had looked at the IRs a bit, those composite are about twice what I would like to spend though. If I was looking at something for everyday use that would definitely be the way I would be going.

X2 on the or great gun:beer:

My 3/8 and 3/4 are both IR composites My 1/2 is a IR Titanium. I love all 3 guns and they get used daily. If I was on a budget I'd get a good used IR before I bought a cheap new gun.

Hi all,

I bought a new IR 231 1/2 inch impact a couple of years ago.

Great air tool! Performs much better than the cheap (air) impact guns I've used before.

Best part, you should be able to find a newly made IR Model 231 for around US $125.00 on-line.

Regards,

Alan

Anybody have any experience with higher end Huskey guns? I was looking at the Husky H4480 when I was killing time at Home Depot yesterday. Its a composite body, fairly lightweight and compact. The specs look decent, its rated at 800ft-lbs and uses 4.4cfm @ 90psi.

I figured I was probably going to get the HF Earthquake, but this one wasn't a whole lot more and its smaller/lighter, rated 100ft-lbs higher, and requires less CFMs.

I have an earthquake at home and a Nitrocat 1200K at work. The 1200k is 5 or 6 years old now and keeps on runnin, used almost daily. Earthquake will get the job done but it's heavy/sloppy compared to even a cheap IR.

ive got an old school snapon x1900 or some thing like that, it weighs about 20lbs, is loud as hell, is an air hog and doesnt seem to like presures under 150, but its the only gun ive had that will crush the sleeve on an 11.5AAM..

it gets pulled out as a "last ditch-im going to break some thing " tool probably 4 or 5 times a year.. rest of the time im on batterys.