• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1 ton YJ / V8 skid plate

tonybolton

Bypass Crawler
Since I mostly run bypasses.....I've not needed a skid plate for much, but now that I've clearanced my oil pan a lil bit...again, I'd like to add one.

If anyone has some pictures of how they did theirs, I'd appreciate it. Preferably only those that have high triangulation of the upper link bars. Mine go from inside of frame rail to about 3" apart on the axle.

I'm basically gonna come off the trans cross member but it's gonna get tight up towards the oil pan when trying to keep clearance loss to a minimum and easy removal still an option.

Check out the barnes4x4 yj skid plate I have been using one for years and holds up great and really can't build one for that cheap

The Barnes one looks more of a transmission skid. I'm trying to get that PLUS extend up under my oil pan.....getting that oil pan portion in there without hitting link bars and supporting up towards the frame looks like it'll be a pain. :(

I don't have any good pics of mine. I went from the front of trans skid an bent a tube up in front of crank pulley to cross member behind the winch. Just weld one on solid if you have to pull oil pan just cut out an reweld. Its nice to be able to slide over **** an not worry about it :****:

1tonrenegade said:
I don't have any good pics of mine. I went from the front of trans skid an bent a tube up in front of crank pulley to cross member behind the winch. Just weld one on solid if you have to pull oil pan just cut out an reweld. Its nice to be able to slide over **** an not worry about it :****:

I thought about doing that....but figured bad luck / karma would follow me. Like something would happen and I'd need it removed ON THE TRAIL to get to....something. I dunno, prolly jus being paranoid but I'm just used to preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

Yeah its been a few times I wish I had bolted it on but a few cuts with cut off wheel an its off. Just made it easier for me. I can still get driveshafts off no problem

Well....i got it somewhat the way I wanted it.

Plated up started to bend crossmember. Bolted on, then did another side support with bolt on. Couldn't really snake any tubes for major front support but figured I'd try this and "modify when needed".

Braced up my link mount that ripped a hole in the frame in the process. Braced up other side as well to prevent that side from tearing off.

Throw more metal and weld at it!!! Frame is thin!

8966adb4f5be33898768bd45c3e8540c.jpg
b729ca6e5868b64a53363aede419b09e.jpg
74e3bfba806cc26ab401af0bd4554513.jpg