• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1 week, Hammers or Moab?

Well having never been to Moab I would go there. Plus it is not as far. Would like to see more of the Hammers and hit some of the really knarly trails. It was kinda of a blur last year

A week in Moab only gets old. Been there twice. I'd do Moab, Maybe grand Junction, then into SW Colorado. Split it up some. Moab is one beautiful place and if I head west on the bike next year I want to hit southern Utah real bad.

Moab... It's beautiful out there and got some great wheelin' for all levels. Hammers are cool and I've been there more than Moab, but Moab definetly is a better vacation spot to spend a week. If you get bored on the way back is Grand Junction which is mediocre wheelin----I'd just spend half the vaca in Moab and half in Montrose.... I'd like to do another vaca like that in a couple years.

Moab, it got alot more to look at. the town is cool, wheeling is anything you want. Hammers is just too deserted. Rock after rock after rock.

What kind of trip do you want? All wheelin' or do you want to throw some tourist activities thrown in.

I'm pretty much the opposite of what everyone else has said. Moab is cool and all, been there way too many times I guess. The hassles of being in a buggy in Moab are just a pita anymore. I don't want to have to have a tow rig parked at the begining and end of Pritchett just so I don't have to worry about getting a ticket. It wasn't like that when I was living out that way, I'm probably just bitter. The other thing about Moab is the lack of true technical wheelin'. I'm not saying there isn't any, it's just that most of the Moab obstacles are how vertical can you get. Don't get me wrong, I do still love Moab. There's obviously more to do there as it isn't a desolate dry lakebed. There's also 2 national parks, can't think of any other town in the USA that can say that. There's definately a reason why they've got them both also.

The hammers, on the other hand, will provide non stop entertainment without hassles. Camp out in the middle of the lakebed with the trails in every direction from where you're at. You can wheel all day, wheel/race back to camp, then head out all night, wheel/race back to camp. To me, that's the way to do it. Nonstop wheelin'. I can't wait to be back out there in Feb :****:

I like the thought of Moab because there is so much to do there and you can crash in a real bed/take a shower each night. The wife and I do 90% of our fun activities outdoors in one form or another so we would be very busy there.

I like the Hammers for the exact reasons you stated Sean. All out non stop wheelin, plus I really want to blast across that lakebed comfortably out of control on my quad booyang. My main downfall is the sleeping/showering situation. I don't mind dirty and can go without a shower or sleep longer than I like to admit but Melissa tends to get irritable after lack of sleep and extended dirtyness. I also tend to worry about keeping my junk together for more than 1 consecutive day of trailriding. The thought of being stuck in the desert looking for parts and or tools doesn't excite me.

Time isn't much of an issue, I work my ass off but it doesn't take much to take a wk off just alot of notice. I don't plan on going to either alone since I've never been there and would much prefer a guide of sorts. I would definetly be up for throwing some CO wheelin in.

FYI other than the issue of recovering your rig at the hammers (I guess the same applies to Moab) the parts stores are only 25 miles away.

Hell ask MattO....he went into LA to get a R&P

If I can ever get back for KOH I think I will just get a room in Yucca Valley. Lots of hotels, lots of food, parts store, etc. About 20 mins from the hammers. I would just leave my rig/trailer on the lakebed and setup a camp of sorts there, but roll to Yucca every night. If you need hard to find parts, you are driving 2 hours to LA or Anaheim (Currie) like I had to. I think Moab would be easier to find parts/fab shops and more fun activities outside of wheelin. Don't get me wrong, blastin across the desert is fun as hell and the rock trails at the Hammers are fun.

GONOVRIT said:
My main downfall is the sleeping/showering situation. I don't mind dirty and can go without a shower or sleep longer than I like to admit but Melissa tends to get irritable after lack of sleep and extended dirtyness.

Come on out in Feb., and I'll let Melissa use my shower. Problem solved. I really want to go back to Moab, but I don't see that happening this next year if I am going to KOH.

Matt O. said:
I think Moab would be easier to find parts/fab shops and more fun activities outside of wheelin.
DING! I took the ex wife one trip of 10 days. We went horse back riding, planned to ride camels, but they were closed. Hit some high elev bunny trails, you can raft, jet boat, kayak, etc. It is a tourist town. The hammers is not....not in the least. laughing1

I'd go to Moab in a heartbeat again. We heard about hassle with authorities, but I didn't really experience it first hand. We trailered every morning to where we wanted to start the day and ended up there somehow by nightfall 3 days in a row. I guess if we drove around the buggy on the streets we'd get hassled.

I think one day we got on the trails about 10:00 and pulled back on the trailer at 8:00 that night. We weren't really stopped long anywhere really that day. Our group that day was small...it was 3 comp rigs from out west, a TJ, and us. Just constant riding. The middle of the day was full of excitement on some hard stuff though. Made for a good mix.

So, I guess for trailriding and other fun mixed in, I'd say Moab. You got a few cool places to eat and drink at, and if you go during EJS, there's more vendor parties, parties in general, and vendor rides to crash, which makes for an interesting week. Like, we somehow managed to nose our way in on closed ride the first day we were in Moab with Poison Spyder and Currie Enterprises. They can't really turn you away once you catch up with them. laughing1

just got back from a week in moab. i was cool and everyone should go there once, but i would pick the hammers. more riding, less site seeing.