• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

12V feedback and questions

Moose

Hey guys I'm not really a newb I just lurk a lot more than I post.

I have an opportunity to buy what seems to be a nice Cummins, I just have no idea what to look for or what is fair, what to expect, blah blah blah.

Truck is a '95 2500 12V CC LB NV4500, and it has 143k. In my part of the NW this is a pretty desireable truck but I don't know if that means much. It's a 2 owner truck, really clean dark blue with a couple paint chips just starting to show. It has newer 285s on it and I don't know how it's geared.

I don't know what else to say about it, I work with the current owner who is old and wants to buy a gasser Chevy for the ride and silence. He's babied this truck the 8-9 years he's owned it but I wouldn't put it past him to "forget" something either.

SO, where do I go from here? I'm getting financing figured out but haven't said I'd buy it yet, and I've spent some time searching around forums to find good info but I have to get some work done too:rolleyes:. I don't know what other info I can give but all input is appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
If it runs good, drives good, passes any normal inspection you might do on any other vehicle. I really wouldn't worry too much about it.. I can tell you everything that could possibly go wrong with the truck. But to me they are little things and just not an issue. JUst check normal stuff while driving like how the front end feels. These things get sloppy up front often. Color of smoke if any. Oil leaks. Most aren't a big deal, some can be.

Inspect/ test the tranny (if automatic) and the front steering, front suspension and wheel bearings extra carefully. Common failure points for those rigs. Otherwise should be a great truck.

NV4500=manual.

It's the 24V that tends to have fueling issues right, not the 12V?

The steering seems just the tiniest bit sloppy but I've been driving small vehicles for awhile now, it could be that I'm just not used to a fullsize rig.

The old guy bought his Chevy last night and I brought the Dodge home today to testdrive and take to the bank tomorrow for their inspection.

It has a 4" exhaust with a 5" tip and he says the pump's been turned up a little bit. None of these things should hurt reliability right?

Sorry for the newb questions, especially after I just stated that I'm not such a newb. I've been driving small vehicles for quite awhile and this opportunity just fell into my lap. I have little to no experience with these so I'm asking those that do. Thanks a million

hey man, great job on calling yourself out. :haha: Just buy that thing, and enjoy, I've heard nothing but good things about those trucks. anything that possibly is or could be a problem should be minimal. :beer:

compared to cars and such, the steering will definitely feel a little sloppy.. If that's all you feel then I wouldn't worry about it at all.. And yes the 24 valves are mainly the ones you need to worry about with fuel pressure.. pump mods, small injectors, different turbo. Little things like that won't hurt reliability. They increase mileage and driveability.. Just don't go too far like some fools :redneck:

Speaking from experience?

What's a good Cummins forum to check out, I'd like to read up on the KDP issues.

Newer clutch in the truck, he can't remember what brand but it was around $2k to have it replaced. It feels strong but has a tiny bit of chatter when taking off from a stop. I figured that wasn't a big deal. 5th gear nut was tightened when the clutch was done.

2k? I would hope it was a decent clutch, the chatter is normal.. KDP is a pretty simple fix.. I've done more then I can count. If you don't check on it, it could cause quite a bit of damage. I usually visit competitiondiesel.com and NWBombers.com.

What's a good Cummins forum to check out, I'd like to read up on the KDP issues.

i usually go to DieselBombers.com and CumminsForum.com

that 12v sounds like a great deal! definatley jealous. i want to find someone that would be interested in trading my 24v for their 12v.

My Dodge my dodge my dodge

Headliner is sagging, paint on the roof is thin/gone, NO leaks

DSCN0410.jpg

:cheer::awesomework:

That's a nice lookin 12V for the $$$....I'd say you got a good deal...:awesomework:
If I didn't already have my PSD, and ran across this for sale--I'd be a 12V owner for sure....

Thanks guys I really like it. I've had it for almost 3 weeks now and it has about 3k more miles on it. :D Just can't stop driving!

Rip at source is awesome! He's helped me many times over the years. Even if it was to just answer questions that i'd always bug him about. Glad I can call him a friend :D Robert that works for him is a real nice guy as well. Very easy guys to deal with.

yea Rips been pretty good to me... had a vp44 going south, drove down there on a monday morning and he R&Red it for $1000 out the door, and in under 4 hours... a **** load cheaper then anyone around here.... I'll be going back. Damn just thought about it... i have bought all my hopups from Rip....:awesomework::awesomework::awesomework: