• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1310 U Joints

throttlejunkie

Some of you fellas bringing up some good talk on this over in general discussion, was hoping to get some feed back from those of you that have ran 1310 joints in the front with big tires, anyone have any issue with them not holding up?
Excluding the ones with other issues causing failure like bad angle, shaft in a bind, coming in contact with other objects, and such.

My 38s are small compared to most on here but I've got 1310, 3 total, in my front shaft and it has held up for years.

I'm running 1310's in my front driveshaft in the Jeep. Two piece front shaft. 1310CV > 1310 at the carrier bearing and a 1310 at the HP60 pinion. 42" pittbulls.
That's a total of 4 in the front driveshaft. The setup has been holding up well for a few years now. The angles are pretty flat so that may be helping. I have told myself it one ever breaks that I would go to 1350 or 1410.
If you are building go ahead and convert to 1350 /1410 and save the headaches.

That was the original plan til I ran out of room, between narrow bottom rail, header, and lower links, its tight! like real tight
I was having a hard time getting my 1410/1350 setup to fit, tried a shaft a buddy of mine had out of his and the smaller joint fit so much better. I was just concerned about its life expectancy. It's good to here yalls are doing good.

1310's on the front of mine. Had 42's before the stickies i have now. .. Pretty amazed but they are holding up!! I carry a back up DS now but man i tell ya, them lil guys doin their job. I got a big boy rear DS, but ILL be dammed if i pay that much ever again. Keeping fingers crossed :****:

Weird how when i read a thread like this it kinda eases my mind for some reason.. But when all i see is everyone runnin 1410 U joints and 1000 dollar shafts i feel mine is goin to explode. Haha. My thing is, i know everyone says to make it have no weak link, but if i break somthing, i dam sure dont want it to be gears, ill take a DS U joint/ trail repair over an exploded ring and pinion any dam day! Just my 2 pennys anyways.

X2 kush on the trail repair.

Wish I didn't live so far away. I sure would like to come wheel

ontherun said:
1310s front & rear 5 years only broke when i dropped it on a bolder, my bad, 43s, 347, 4.3 atlas

Thats good to hear, me and kush were concerned about the 1310 with stickies thumb.gif

Man u aint kiddin. I seems all i think about when wheeling is things like U joints, driveshafts, etc. guess most of it is not havin to come up with the money to fix it. I've been looking at building a front driveshaft, possibly doin a 1310 to 1350 Ujoint from the axle to the transfer case. Just don't know if it would be a waste of money or even make sense to do it. :dunno: was lookin at parts last night. I'm thinking by the time I get done It woulda been about the same to buy a complete shaft.

LightBnDr said:
X2 kush on the trail repair.

Wish I didn't live so far away. I sure would like to come wheel
Where u live? Always curious what kinda terrain everyone from diff parts of the country are wheelin on. I would guess that we may have the worst of it down south.. Mountain hills with loose rocks and dirt/mud, then an accessional rock ledge... Haha then watch out west and its ALL rock. Wonder if different terrain is alot worse than others for breaking stuff? Just a thought.

kushKrawlin said:
Man u aint kiddin. I seems all i think about when wheeling is things like U joints, driveshafts, etc. guess most of it is not havin to come up with the money to fix it. I've been looking at building a front driveshaft, possibly doin a 1310 to 1350 Ujoint from the axle to the transfer case. Just don't know if it would be a waste of money or even make sense to do it. :dunno: was lookin at parts last night. I'm thinking by the time I get done It woulda been about the same to buy a complete shaft.
on my jeep I got new yokes and just switched over to all 1350s but before that I ran 1310 front and rear with 38.5 boggers :****:

I used to kill 1310's with 32's and a straight six. Yes I would rather have a cheap quick trail repair rather than a an expensive lengthy repair any day. But I also Like the Beaf that never brakes nor lets me down. :p

1310's front / 1350's rear no universal failure with 43 stickies yet. I did trash rear 1310 C/V driveshafts, but my driveshaft is at a pretty steep angle so I will blame the failures on that. ;D

I have read ALOT on this.. From what I read there's a lot of folks that have blown r&p gears with 1310's:. A lot say that tha 1310 is just not as strong for beating on rocks.. And that most failures are from angle being wrong.. He'll I'm runnin Em.. Carrying spare parts and ridin out!

I have 1310 on transfer case end and 1410 on rockwell end , ran em for years with little to no breakage and they are like 14$ at napa... Always said id go bigger when They broke or were a problem but still haven't had enough issues to justify it