• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14 Bolt or Dana 80

Im going to start a new build and am trying to decide weather to go with old faithful 14bolt or go w

• 14 Bolt

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Dana 80

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
mrdrinksalil said:
You gotta truss the heck outs that 14 front. There ain't hardly any housing material left when u bore for 3.5 tube
Thought people were sleeving the stock tube ???

Some are sleeving over the stock tube and others will just reuse the stock tube and slug the long side. Or you retube it. IMO the weak link is still the housing where the tube enters no matter what you do. Truss is needed for sure.

If you have to have 47 splines I think the 80 is still the only option of the two? I read where Plow Boy was going 47-spline in the front 14-bolt though. How is that happening? Or were they just referring to the outers?

patooyee said:
If you have to have 47 splines I think the 80 is still the only option of the two? I read where Plow Boy was going 47-spline in the front 14-bolt though. How is that happening? Or were they just referring to the outers?

Pretty sure I read it where they said 47 spline outers and 40 spline inners.

TBItoy said:
Current consensus?
Seems like most people are sticking with 14 bolts for now ???

Probably just for attainability reasons. D80's are out there, but some sellers still think they're HOLY GRAIL/FORD D60 front axle worthy. I see the D80's pop up on C-list every now and then for 200-400 bucks, though. They get bought up quick while the others still stick to their guns at 600-800. When i get new notifications the cheapie ads are gone with the hi pricers "bumped" back up.

Couple that with aftermarket suport of the 14 bolt is still that of a "mustang" or "camaro" in your Jegs/Summit catalog.

I must say, i've been impressed by the locals around here with stock 14 bolt axles. I've only seen one break and it was a relentless beatdown at Windrock on lower Shiela hill on some 44" cut boggers. It was a massive undercut ledge WITH a rock ledge on TOP of the tire all while all the vehicle weight was on the right rear wheel. I couldn't believe an axle shaft was the only carnage.

Re: Re: 14 Bolt or Dana 80

Wonder what application the axles that drich found came from... A lot of ditch witches, off road man lifts, and small telehandlers used Dana center sections. I bet most of them had interal seals. Or from an automotive D70 front.

[/quote] old w300 power wagons

Dana 70 front out of a power wagon converted to open knuckles and 35 spline inner and out. I built it at home

Attachments

• 1456541_675176089173181_2097037913_n.jpg
    1456541_675176089173181_2097037913_n.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 245