• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14 Bolt or Dana 80

Im going to start a new build and am trying to decide weather to go with old faithful 14bolt or go w

• 14 Bolt

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Dana 80

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Rockwells607 said:

Rockwells are tough yes, but NONE of the badass bouncers are running them. For what reason I dont know but I fig they know more than I do so im trying to run what seems to work.

Prob some will disagree but I would say decide how much money you got to put into one. I have been battling this question for awhile now myself. Fwiw there is a pretty nice 14 bolt on pirate that if it dont sale will be priced very right before long.

Cory just did Dana 80's front and back.they weighed them and a Dana 60. The built 80 was over 100 pounds lighter then a built 60. Sure a 14 bolt would be lighter yet.this is with a billet spool,47 spline rcv,s,Wildwood brakes,aluminum hubs.

Imo the downfall of rockwells is them being toploader. Few people can set the buggy up around them enough to get the suspension to act right. If I build my buggy that I would want with no budget I would run custom rocks like Ty Turner. I don't know much though. :****:

Neal3000 said:
Are you talking front or rear or both?

Both.... I dont have unlimited funds but want to build good stuff the first time and not breaking or working on it all the time... I have a 14 +60 now and planning on using them but have been informed about running a 14 in front.....

But before I do I was trying to decide if I should build 80's.... Is it worth the money ???????

liv2mx said:
Cory just did Dana 80's front and back.they weighed them and a Dana 60. The built 80 was over 100 pounds lighter then a built 60. Sure a 14 bolt would be lighter yet.this is with a billet spool,47 spline rcv,s,Wildwood brakes,aluminum hubs.

specs?

how would you decrease that much weight over a 60 when you are using a bigger/heavier center section and larger tubes?

If I could have a do-over again with the current buggy I am building I would drop the ride height another 3", and go with a HP60 front and 14b rear. I am not sure if I would go with D60 or rockwell knuckles and inner C's though. I am pretty confident with my driving style and good shafts I could make that combo last with 47" tires. I have spent a ton of money on my rockwells to make them lighter. My front axle is currently 480lbs with the link mounts, truss, steering mounts, brakes and no shafts. I am going to go with gun drilled 16spline shafts from OEM, to drop just a little more weight.

I've heard froma very knowledgible individual that the slope of the 14b gears sucks for a front application, that a hp 60 is better in that regard

Wondering myself how a 80 can be 100 lbs lighter than a 60?

Unless you have over 500hp and plan to beat the **** out of it 14 bolts will be fine! I've broke one set of gears in my 14 rear but it for whatever reason didn't have the pinion pilot bearing and I've never broke my hp 60 front! 4.88 gears! How many front 14's have any of you seen break a r&p anyone? I only know of 3!

Neal3000 said:
I've heard froma very knowledgible individual that the slope of the 14b gears sucks for a front application, that a hp 60 is better in that regard

Wondering myself how a 80 can be 100 lbs lighter than a 60?

The only way I would agree with that is if you ran a Jana 76 kit in the front with the 35 spline pinion Currie 5.38 HP70 gears.

The gear teeth may hold up better, but it doesn't matter when you are twisting off pinion shafts.

of course, this all is relative, and only applies to high horsepower, extremely abusive applications.

But to say that 14b gears "suck" in a front application is just asinine. Especially when that has for the most part been proven otherwise.

Hi pinion is the correct way to build a front axle (assuming you are planning on driving forward...)

But comparing a HP60 front to a 14 bolt front is akin to comparing a HP44 front to a LP60. Which would you rather have?

TBItoy said:
The only way I would agree with that is if you ran a Jana 76 kit in the front with the 35 spline pinion Currie 5.38 HP70 gears.

The gear teeth may hold up better, but it doesn't matter when you are twisting off pinion shafts.

of course, this all is relative, and only applies to high horsepower, extremely abusive applications.

But to say that 14b gears "suck" in a front application is just asinine. Especially when that has for the most part been proven otherwise.

So yal are saying a HP60 is better in the front?

Hi pinion is the correct way to build a front axle (assuming you are planning on driving forward...)

But comparing a HP60 front to a 14 bolt front is akin to comparing a HP44 front to a LP60. Which would you rather have?

russelld said:
So yal are saying a HP60 is better in the front?

Better than what?

Once again, it's all relative.

A HP60 is still a solid choice for a front axle, but in some applications, it has proven to not be strong enough.

Re: Re: 14 Bolt or Dana 80

I was looking at doing steering 14's, but found 70's instead that have the diffs already sealed for fronts, I lucked out

From the empty bottle

Latest posts