• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14 bolt shave ???

jmh78

What are some opinions of 14 bolt shave kits?

Been looking at the TMR 15 bolt kit but a little unsure about the strength reduction if any after the ring gear is turned down. Also wondering if people have problems with diff cover leaks after shaves. Do you gain enough without cutting the housing and just running a Crane High clearance 13 bot cover?

Has anyone with big tires and big power ran a shave kit that requires ring gear machining?

Most of the people I ride with think that if that little bit of ground clearance is stopping you, you weren't going fast enough.

I cut the bottom "lip" off. Basically cutting the bottom bolt hole in have. Then smoothed the lip with a grinder. I gained maybe an inch. This left me with 13 bolts in a modified BTF diff cover. I was able to get that inch with little more invested than my time. I have been happy with the results.

Personally I would not want to loose any strength of the housing for another 3/4 inch or so.

I used one of these: http://undercoverfab.com/fabricated-differential-covers/73-14-bolt-hd-diff-cover.html

looks like it has the best ground clearance for the least amount of work...

14-bolt-hd-diff-cover.jpg

Got a message from TMR. They now offer a kit that does not require machining the ring gear. Still not sure if it is worth hacking into the cavity of the housing.

jmh78 said:
Got a message from TMR. They now offer a kit that does not require machining the ring gear. Still not sure if it is worth hacking into the cavity of the housing.

The undercover fab cover doesn't cut into the housing. you just cut out the bottom bolt hole.

TBItoy said:
The undercover fab cover doesn't cut into the housing. you just cut out the bottom bolt hole.

Barnes 4x4 offers a similar cover also. I see no reason to do any more work than these 2 covers for minimal additional gains

Interesting to read all these comments. I bought a TMR shave kit but changed my mind after I got it. I just couldn't see hacking up the housing like that just to get an inch or so of clearance.

BUG-E J said:
Most of the people I ride with think that if that little bit of ground clearance is stopping you, you weren't going fast enough.

I pretty much agree with this post. If you get hung up by such a small amount, just hit it harder or pick a different line. I think a lot of folks over think the "every last inch of ground clearance" thing.

I pretty much agree with this post. If you get hung up by such a small amount, just hit it harder or pick a different line. I think a lot of folks over think the "every last inch of ground clearance" thing.
[/quote]

If that was true, why don't people with 43s swap to 40s? With that being said, you will usually still hang up and have to MYM anyways, but these new covers make it so easy, Why not?

Anyone know the clearance difference between doing the ring-gear shave vs. a Barnes style 13 bolt diff cover? To me the risk of fawking up your housing from cutting the bottom off and welding to cast isn't worth the clearance gain

Those that are chopping that bottom bolt(hole) in half....have you experienced any leakage in that area from contact? Thinkin' about doin' the Barnes cover and sawzall myself when the weather warms up a bit, but i'm worried that might create a problem area after multiple hits. Granted, the cover is thick, but still.....my luck multiplied by me working on something = yardsale whole rig going down a gravel road.

muddinmetal said:

If that was true, why don't people with 43s swap to 40s? With that being said, you will usually still hang up and have to MYM anyways, but these new covers make it so easy, Why not?
The taller the tire the easier it is for the tire itself to climb ledges, rocks, stumps etc. I went from 44 to 43 and wouldn't go back!

tonybolton said:
Those that are chopping that bottom bolt(hole) in half....have you experienced any leakage in that area from contact? Thinkin' about doin' the Barnes cover and sawzall myself when the weather warms up a bit, but i'm worried that might create a problem area after multiple hits. Granted, the cover is thick, but still.....my luck multiplied by me working on something = yardsale whole rig going down a gravel road.

No problems with mine.........so far

muddinmetal said:

Yes, taller tires help for sure. I've just never ran anything smaller than 42's so I'm not thinking about the smaller tires but it makes sense. I do agree that the the aftermarket has made it easy to shave these axles and there's nothing wrong with doing it. There's also nothing wrong with trying to get every last inch of clearance, its just not something I'd worry about. Just my $.02.

Neal3000 said:
Anyone know the clearance difference between doing the ring-gear shave vs. a Barnes style 13 bolt diff cover? To me the risk of fawking up your housing from cutting the bottom off and welding to cast isn't worth the clearance gain

As little as a half a inch more is all you cut out of the housing, but then the thick plate gets welded back. So maybe none :dunno: But it seems like it would last much longer with repeated beatings

If yall would stop playing around with truck axles and go to rockwells you wouldnt have to worry about trimming the bottom of these things. :****: