• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14B Axle Parts Questions, Please!

Retribution

Guys,

I've got some 14B Steer & Non-Steer Parts Questions: I've been diligently working on a list of parts to build both a 14B steer and non-steer axle. Can anyone here confirm or correct any of the parts in my list?

Primarily I'm concerned about part number correctness and interoperability.

14B Steer.jpg

14B Non-Steer.jpg

I've also got a few more questions;

Yokes – Not sure what to do here, my thought is it varies depending on HP?? 1310, 1350, 1410 & 1480. If my theory is correct about HP and size, can you give me the ranges of HP and the size I would use in that range?

Lockers & Spools – I understand what lockers and spools do but, what are most folks using? Are they running lockers in the rear and spools up front? In an ideal rig what would you use? What about high HP rock bouncers? If money wasn't an issue what would you use?

Lockers & Spools Continued – I noticed the higher end aftermarket axles are 35-40 splines. Are there lockers & spools with 35 & 40 splines? I've only found 30 spline units. If so, part numbers Please?

Spindle Nuts Key – If I purchase the slot type Spindle Nut where do I get the key? Does it come with the nut kit?

Drive Shafts – What is the best source for great shafts at a fair price?

Solids Spindle – The Solid Axle Company sells a spindle, it has a dish shape cut out of the flange, it's for break caliper clearance. Is this for use with their brake kits or is this normal and everyone sells spindles with the dish notched out of the flange?

Rear Hubs – Is there a rear axle hub for a 14 bolt that replaces the stock unit so you can use Flange Kit similar to the units you use on a steering axle? Part number?

Wheel Studs – If I were using a stock ¾ ton disc brake set up on my axle what wheel studs would I use? If I wanted to run the Spider Trax disc brake set up what studs would I use? Part number?

Brake lines – What is the brake line from the caliper to the axle. Is it female to female? Part number?

Yokes – I'd go 1410 every where that you can!

Lockers & Spools – I'd definitely run a Spool or cough up the cash for some Selectable lockers. I just don't trust most lockers in a buggy these days.

Lockers & Spools Continued Most of the 30 spline is for the 14 bolt, 35 spline is common in dana 60's. Yes you can get 40 spline spools also

Spindle Nuts Key – If I purchase the slot type Spindle Nut where do I get the key? Does it come with the nut kit?

Drive Shafts – What is the best source for great shafts at a fair price? I've got a couple of people I like here on the east coast but there are folks like Jesse at High Angle Driveline that do good work

Solids Spindle – The Solid Axle Company sells a spindle, it has a dish shape cut out of the flange, it's for break caliper clearance. Is this for use with their brake kits or is this normal and everyone sells spindles with the dish notched out of the flange?

Rear Hubs – Is there a rear axle hub for a 14 bolt that replaces the stock unit so you can use Flange Kit similar to the units you use on a steering axle? Part number? If you want drive flanges you would typically use a dana 60 hub on the rear.

Brake lines – What is the brake line from the caliper to the axle. Is it female to female? Part number? Do you want rubber stock or Braided? There are several ways to set them up.
[/quote]

If you need any more assistance you can call me at 706-207-4140 and also I can get some answers from the companies mentioned for you.
Thanks,
Bobby
CCOR
706-207-4140

Here is an option for putting flanges on the rear. You would need custom inner shafts that would be 30 spline (14b) at the carrier and 35 spline at the hub.
This will only work if the Dana and GM (14b) hubs have the same 8 bolt axle flange pattern. (http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-1832068-dana-60-70-80-rear-drive-flanges.html)

I would just run standard flanged axles in the rear. 300M, chromo,playdough or whatever.

jordan7118 said:
Dana and GM do not have the same 8 bolt axle flange pattern.

Depends on the Dana axle. I believe the GM Dana 70s use the same hubs as 14 bolts, so the flange pattern is the same.

Markrobinson said:
Depends on the Dana axle. I believe the GM Dana 70s use the same hubs as 14 bolts, so the flange pattern is the same.

This is true, I have 35 spline shafts from a old wide 70B that bolt onto 14 bolt hubs. Actually using them for a 9"/ 14b hybrid rear.

Thanks Guys

I spoke with Jimmy at EOR and he has most if not all of these parts. When I collect the missing part number I'll re-post them.

Thanks again!