• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1968 Dodge D200 Mega Cab Tow rig *(Possibly for sale)*

Re: 1968 Dodge D200 Tow rig/Daily driver Project

Something in the front end/ CV shaft/ diff/ bound up and got hot. Bearings came out of the CV shaft and front driveshaft broke at the diff. Caught fire driving down the road and nothing to put it out with

Slowly gaining a little ground. Bed is getting close to where it needs to sit. Still have a little bit of notching and shimming to get the Gaps right and the bed level. Got the front and rear widened 12'' total now have to build some boxes on the rear to narrow the inner width to fit the original tailgate and for my tail lights to flush mount into. One day at a time

IMG_20170403_135239196 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr
IMG_20170404_154527981 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr
IMG_20170404_154538948 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr
IMG_20170405_144931871 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr
IMG_20170405_144946939 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr
IMG_20170405_152011994 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr
IMG_20170405_152021949 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr
IMG_20170405_152717435_HDR by Zayne Smith, on Flickr
IMG_20170405_152724789 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr
IMG_20170405_162901637 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr

Looking good... but.... i think you need to widen the tailgate and put normal stepside type tail lights outside the box

i thought about it but was afraid they would get knocked off to easy. Going to flush mount some LED's inside the box

Well it's possible that the whole world would disagree w me anyhow.....

I have never been a fan of old dodge stuff.... just not my style.... and it really pisses me off that I dig your build on this one.... lol

Keep at it

Thanks man. I never knew these trucks existed. I was looking for a cool step side shop truck to put my Body Shop logo on and then ended up with 2 of them and stuff got out of hand pretty quick. One thing led to another. Cheap shop truck turned into a full on custom daily driver tow rig.
Got the front clip mocked up and starting all of the mounts for the radiator and intercooler.
Condenser and trans cooler are going to be mounted under the rear cab portion. Don't have enough clearance up front.
277 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr
275 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr
265 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr

Been a while since any updates. Here are are few up to date pics.
Got almost all of the body tied it
Cab, Floors, A pillar, Cowl
Widened the inner fenders 6'' on each side and have all of the intercooler and radiator mounts tied in

262 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr
261 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr

293 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr
296 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr
297 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr
299 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr
300 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr
257 by Zayne Smith, on Flickr

Where are the updates? I look everyday for this thread. Fixin to put a 52 studabaker on a 99 dodge Dakota 4x4 chassis.

We have gotten a little bit accomplished over the past few weeks.
-Hood Hinges- Original hood hinges wouldnt not work so i found some beef hinges online for a 1971 Chevrolet truck and had the inset them into the cowl and make them 3 way adjustable to get the hood squared up

-Hood Latch- We have incorporated the original (2011) hood latch into the truck instead of the beefy 68 latch where it can be opened via the original cable inside of the truck

-Body Panels- Been working on getting the tail gate, Back of the cab, and rear fenders straightened up . They were completely beat up and full of dents and filler. We now have them all straight and in primer waiting for them to cure. We will then flat sand and primer about 3 more times and they will be ready for paint.

-Dash- the dash had to be narrowed several inches and trimmed around the door angle to get the doors to shut. We have re routed all of the Air duct hoses and made pieces the graft the dash back together. The dash was pieced back together using various trim pieces from the 11' truck, heated and molded into shape to fit. The rivets are temporarily holding the dash in position. It will not be epoxied back together, molded and refinished like a factory dash. Waiting on my outer air vents (Slim line) to install those. Also was able the fit in the original light switch , parking brake release, and hood release back into the lower dash. Only thing i wasnt able to put back in was the factory trailer brake module but from research everyone says they suck anyways. Ill put a prodigy back in to take care of my braking.

-Rear Seat- the rear seat headrests touched the roof and the seat bottom was too high as my head touched the roof sitting in it. We removed 1.25'' out of the seat base and took 4'' out of the seat back to lower in proportional to the front seats and make it look correct in the rear window. The rear seat head rest now align with the front.

I have a long ways to go but still moving forward. I still have to order a bottom floor for the bed, head/tail/marker lights, suspension, wheels and tires, and make some miscellaneous interior pieces, head liner, side trim and door panels but most all of the hard fab work is complete. Now it gets to the nitty gritty of getting body work ready for paint.....
Thanks for all the kind words and hope everyone is still enjoying the build

Kick ass project, excellent workmanship! Got me itching for my new work truck build, but I gotta finish the manche first...

'80s square body 3+3 crew cab Chevy with '90 suburban clip, my own flat bed, on a '08 f450 4x4 c&c chassis. Power plant undecided; either mechanical 12 valve-p pump/ 47rh, or 6.2 ls/6l80 or Allison, gas. (I'm done with any brand common rail diesel.)

Keep posting updates!

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk