• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1971 IH 4x4 1210 Crew Cab

L

lowbudgetjunk

Let me start by saying, I hate new trucks. Take your 2017 (insert who gives a **** brand truck name here) truck and cram it somewhere. I don't mind that you like them, I just don't personally. I do like crew cabs, so it is difficult to go too far back. I did find this little guy, fairly local, so I trailered it home. As of right now, it isn't getting fuel.

I don't know parts names, so treat me like I am five and say simple words so I understand. I will take pictures and provide feedback to try and get this beast running. BTW, **** propane.
81aaa11b6bc1a495788d6e597060cf94.jpg

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

And will you move this to build thread/tech section Gregg? Tapatalk shut down three times while I tried to start this thread.
9591ae6b189bcb05acaa4e54bdc13071.jpg

Re: Re:

mcutler said:
Awesome find

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk
Thanks sir. It's getting a 12 valve and see if I can live with 4.10 gearing. Otherwise, gonna look for some highway gears and have someone set them up.

Re:

Please tell me you're keeping the utility bed and making this your tow rig.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
Please tell me you're keeping the utility bed and making this your tow rig.

Why yes, yes I am. It will also be daily driven some as well. The 2000 Ford is going to be sold off and eventually, when I find the right station wagon, the minivan will be sold off too. Need to find an early 60s mobile.

Well, found propane up until this point. It appears to be some kind of lock out for the system that has electronics. The electronics are cut. Is that the issue?
810aa70767629470af71ea187d85fab9.jpg
3b5ea127a550d33c76d51346758c8d28.jpg
2d18055aa1e632b3a0049e8ed6142b9e.jpg

Re:

The overall goal is to have a compressor, generator, welder, vice, transfer tanks for fuel for the buggy and for the actual truck.

very awesome for sure. Id love to find an old crew cab in good shape.
/
The item in your picture looks like a mixer. Basically a carb for propane. propane is simple so dont give up. Is the tank fixed in the truck, like an RV tank?

If it is similar to forklift systems, from the tank there is likely a high pressure line running to/near the engine bay. There should be a lockoff (shutoff valve) somewhere inline likely. It will be elec or vacuum. There will be a regulartor near the carb likely. There should be a large low pressure hose running from mixer to the regulator. Regulator will also have coolant hoses running through it.

It could be possible to be a lower pressure system the entire way. If so, the line leaving the tank will come off the top. It might have a filter or shutoff inline, but otherwise there will be a large hose from the tank to the carb.

Most propane parts are just diaphragms, orings, and springs. They are all easy to rebuild if needed. Unless you want to get it running for some time, i might not spend much on rebuilding the propane system, though.

lowbudgetjunk said:
Well, found propane up until this point. It appears to be some kind of lock out for the system that has electronics. The electronics are cut. Is that the issue?
810aa70767629470af71ea187d85fab9.jpg
3b5ea127a550d33c76d51346758c8d28.jpg
2d18055aa1e632b3a0049e8ed6142b9e.jpg

is there another line leaving that device?

That looks like a lockoff. If there are wires connected to it, they should be switched to open it. If you have a correct union, you can bypass it for the sake of troubleshooting.

I just need it to drive 56 miles to its new home at Murrah Motorsports. Patrick will be doing the engine swap and going through all the systems to make sure it is road worthy. I will drive it for a while before fixing any of the cosmetic issues.

I gutted the lock off, still won't run. Sprayed ether directly in the intake, still won't run. I am guessing it is a timing issue. It fired up for a split second on straight Ether, but that was one time out of an entire can.

You should nominate ur wife for sainthood, gonna be cool when done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zjman said:
You should nominate ur wife for sainthood, gonna be cool when done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She argues from time to time, but the kids love it. My daughter or my little boy usually goes with me to pick them up. It's either chase rusty junk or do drugs and chase women. She (my wife) also gets spending money when too many end up in the yard.

I am leaning toward carb with boat fuel cell to get me to Birmingham. I just can't get it to run on the propane.

Re:

Are you getting propane to the motor? Propane is typically super easy to troubleshoot

Hell yeah, old crew cabs rule. Your going to have a blast finding parts for IH stuff. I just picked up a 67 and I know damn well why the guy got rid of it lol. Parts are a pain in the ass to find. Here is the junk I just picked up.
1BBld0C.jpg

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
Are you getting propane to the motor? Propane is typically super easy to troubleshoot

Yep, smells like onions or skunk. Just doesn't want to fire.

Is propane timing different than gas? If not, and you suspect a timing issue, it may still be easier getting it going on pane.

Re: Re: 1971 IH 4x4 1210 Crew Cab

Beerj said:
Is propane timing different than gas? If not, and you suspect a timing issue, it may still be easier getting it going on pane.
Some ppl advance timing some on propane but it really shouldn't be different.

Im betting something else in the ign being the issue.

Can you not haul it on a trailer to MM?

Re:

It weighs 11.2k pounds and I have 2 3500 pound axles on my trailer. If I move it on a trailer, it's going to Irondale for an engine swap.