• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1996 ford powerstroke

rchrd989

hey guys I just bought a 96 f250 powerstroke 5spd. I did a good amount of research before I bought it but does anyone have any tips or past experiences that I may want to know? I go to school for heavy duty diesel but this is my personal first diesel.

thanks guys!:awesomework:

get rid of the muffler and res i am running strait pipe not that loud but more pep and gages I dont yet but need them and be careful with that tranny

Get an aftermarket downpipe,
Get rid of the cat,
Install a Tymar air intake,
Then chip it, guages, etc,etc.

i would agree with all of the above but before you start modding it get yourself a cheap "ebay" CPS sensor keep it in the glove with proper size socket they tend to go bad in the middle of no where and it's good insurance for a quick fix if it does go bad. when i bought my 97 first trip i took it on from CA to WA and back i had mine go bad on the way back to CA. good thing i bought a spare i didn't change it out till i got home becuz the truck fired back up and hauled with no further problems on that trip. other than that mod away!!

Im about to pull the tranny tomorrow and im hopeing that the clutch still looks good. I was reading up and was seeing that when the clutch wears out that you cant get the flywheel surfaced and have to replace it with a new ford dual mass flywheel or whatever their term for it is or mod with a solid flywheel. Other than that I think the first thing I'll do other than look over the whole rig and do matanience I think Ill start looking at strait pipe kits. Im now wanting to get all wild on my truck and neglect my jeep and Z car. we'll jsut see what happens :awesomework:

How many miles are on it?

I have a 96 f250 PSD 5spd with 280,000 + miles still runs like a champ but I think I've had every dumb little thing that costs $200 go wrong with it. Definatley do the factory clutch upgrade. My stock 96 clutch went bang and cracked the bellhousing. Definatley get a CPS and a 10 mm wrench to change it with and put them in the glovebox. Otherwise I've been thru 2 vacume pumps, a water pump, a fan clutch, had to have the computer re flashed and had to pull a head off to remove a broken glowplug (someone put chepo plugs in it :mad: )and a few other little things.

Oh, and if you go get a new serpantine belt for it and it dosnt fit. get one for a '99. Some of the older trucks have had a idler pulley update done and the '96 belts are a little too small afterwards.

oh and what do you mean by the factory clutch upgrade? converting to a solid flywheel? or just a stronger clutch? what do you know about these (dual mass?) flywheels?

i also kept a spare fan belt in the truck when i had my 96. You really cant drive these things when they lose a belt. Also, do the downpipe, above all else my straight pipe and downpipe was the best mod i did to the truck, i also gutted the warmup valve at the same time.

Get a South Bend Con O FE Clutch. The dual mass clutch thingy is crap. I think they are rated for 12 horsepower. The South Bend is WAY better. It's even easier to push in.

oh and what do you mean by the factory clutch upgrade? converting to a solid flywheel? or just a stronger clutch? what do you know about these (dual mass?) flywheels?

powerstroke pulls just fine.... CHECK ebay for CPS. you can get them for around $50.00 maybe cheaper. dealer ship will run you a arm + leg. not sure how much they are in the parts store.

if you have time check out your local Autozone they were discontinuing the stock Ford glow plugs. and they were selling them for $.01 each. i didn't need them but i bought a set just in case cost me $.08. one other thing to watch out for is the glow plug relay they are fairly cheap but if you notice hard starts in the winter then it along with (weak glow plugs and weak batteries) can be an issue.

one other thing sense the fuel and oil are in the valley and there is a drain hole in the back side of the valley for all to flow down the bell housing in case of leaks it is a good idea to "ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS" buy the fuel filter with the triangular cut rubber seal. i don't remember which brands besides motorcraft make it that way but some others do. cant stress that enough it was told to me and i learned the hard way now i have clutch chatter every so often becuz the flat cut seals don't do there job.

man im loving all of this good feedback. I dropeed the tranny off at the tranny shop today and came home and looked some mroe at my clutch. good and badd news. The flywheel isnt stock its the luk solid flywheel but the clutch doesnt need to be replaced but will somewhat soon. might as well do it.

spend the doe on a good clutch like mention above. make sure all your fluids are good. if you don't know much about the truck previous condition i would definitely flush the radiator fluid. the systems tend to build up a lot of deposits and it helps to keep the water pump life long. there are also kits you can buy or build to filter the fluid. i plan on doing this when i get back from deployment good investment. check the link below good info there for the PSD beginner.

as far as mods i spent around $1250.00 that included

Gauges & "A" pillar 3 pod for (pyro/ boost gauges). 3rd for fuel pressure gauge.
AFE CAI and Exhaust.
Twildman custom burn chip...

truck pulls good especially with the chip. Clutch is next along with FASS fuel.

seabass good info... this is where i started!!
http://pages.prodigy.net/stevebaz/_i...az/index3.html

powerstroke pulls just fine.... CHECK ebay for CPS. you can get them for around $50.00 maybe cheaper. dealer ship will run you a arm + leg. not sure how much they are in the parts store.

Check your Dealer--May be a recall on this....

if you have time check out your local Autozone they were discontinuing the stock Ford glow plugs. and they were selling them for $.01 each. i didn't need them but i bought a set just in case cost me $.08. one other thing to watch out for is the glow plug relay they are fairly cheap but if you notice hard starts in the winter then it along with (weak glow plugs and weak batteries) can be an issue.
Why would they discontinue the Motorcraft glow plugs? but hey, at that price I'd get 'em!!!! Those are the only ones I'd install in mine---pretty labor intensive job!!!

one other thing sense the fuel and oil are in the valley and there is a drain hole in the back side of the valley for all to flow down the bell housing in case of leaks it is a good idea to "ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS" buy the fuel filter with the triangular cut rubber seal. i don't remember which brands besides motorcraft make it that way but some others do. cant stress that enough it was told to me and i learned the hard way now i have clutch chatter every so often becuz the flat cut seals don't do there job.

I haven't heard of this before---just remember to use a quality fuel filter, NO cheap ones!!! Best to go w/ Motorcraft, but Baldwin make a good one too!Also, if your sure it's not the fuel filter leaking in the engine vally, then check the lift pump, they are a common leaker!!!Mine's actually leaking, need to replace soon-leaves a puddle wherever I park!!!

I haven't heard of this before---just remember to use a quality fuel filter, NO cheap ones!!! Best to go w/ Motorcraft, but Baldwin make a good one too!Also, if your sure it's not the fuel filter leaking in the engine vally, then check the lift pump, they are a common leaker!!!Mine's actually leaking, need to replace soon-leaves a puddle wherever I park!!!

yeah there is a recall with it being a older model we probably wont see any letter or get any phone call anytime soon.