• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1996 ford powerstroke

I haven't heard of this before---just remember to use a quality fuel filter, NO cheap ones!!! Best to go w/ Motorcraft, but Baldwin make a good one too!Also, if your sure it's not the fuel filter leaking in the engine vally, then check the lift pump, they are a common leaker!!!Mine's actually leaking, need to replace soon-leaves a puddle wherever I park!!!

It's true. The CPS is a common failure point and keeping a spare is highly recommended. I got mine off eBay for ~$50 and it was a NIB Ford part.

Yup! Those pesky mechanical fuel pumps do like to leak. There's also a pressure sensor (I think) that goes into the fuel bowl that has been known to leak as well. But, the lift pump is often the larger problem in frequency and severity.

one tool is a 12mm or a 10 dont remamber which one on a ratchet and a cam shaft sensor there commonly blown out if the truck suddenly dies going down the road that what it is ford sells a new one for the 99s it fits the 96s works great in out 10 min or less there good for about 55000 miles or less

yeah there is a recall with it being a older model we probably wont see any letter or get any phone call anytime soon.

Mine's a '97, and when I called to see if my truck was one of the culprit rigs for the Cruise switch causing fire(which it's not-Whew!!!); They informed me that my truck did fall under the Cmp sensor recall!! Got it replaced about 2 weeks later....oh, and if yours isn't recalled, the socket size is a 10mm head--I've replaced several dozen, if not a hundred of these--5 minute job!!

It's true. The CPS is a common failure point and keeping a spare is highly recommended. I got mine off eBay for ~$50 and it was a NIB Ford part.

Yup! Those pesky mechanical fuel pumps do like to leak. There's also a pressure sensor (I think) that goes into the fuel bowl that has been known to leak as well. But, the lift pump is often the larger problem in frequency and severity.

You can actually get the CPS's for around $20 now--Places like Oregon Fuel Injection, and so forth...
It's actually the 'water in fuel' sensor that has a tendency to leak--though not nearly as common as the lift pumps; One point to consider, the next time you change the fuel filter, climb up and look down at the fuel heater; make sure it's secure and not coming loose from the plate it's mounted to--this can short out and cause a no start (30 amp fuse in the underhood fuse block blows); Also, if you run Biodiesel, suck out the fuel from the housing and inspect for any pitting, it's rare, but the pitting can be so bad (caused by moisture) it may start leaking with no warning!!! Replace the housing if it's questionable.....

well guys I got the transmission back today as well as my new LUK clutch :awesomework: got the luk flywheel resurfaced and Im all ready to go! hopefully it doesnt rain this weekend since the truck is in the driveway because its to big for the garage

its suppossed to rain, sunday is suppossed to be only 30% chance of rain. I would do it early subday morn as to not be under something wet all afternoon. lol:beer:

One point to consider, the next time you change the fuel filter, climb up and look down at the fuel heater; make sure it's secure and not coming loose from the plate it's mounted to--this can short out and cause a no start (30 amp fuse in the underhood fuse block blows)

I've read that you can upgrade to the newer style fuel bowl heater...anyone do this mod?

Antifreeze aditive...
I was looking at PS (wanted the 4 doors, went with the dodge QC instead) it can be a issues if it is not maintained properly.

Latest posts