• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1999 7.3 ford transmission temp?

chance

I just picked up a 1999 crewcab longbed with ford 7.3 auto, 4in lift on 35s. My question is what should the transmission temp be, I drove out to Seattle yesterday and my edge programmer was reading 195, is this ok without towing?

My 1st gen prior to overhaul, never went above 170 empty, but did climb when towing up to about 205... I simply flushed the system with fresh Mercon V, and my temps across the board dropped 20 degrees...I'd probably be still running it, if it weren't for a snap ring popping loose inside one of the drums... Now that she's all freshened up, I NEVER see 160, even towing up the pass at 70mph loaded...
It all depends on where they are getting the temp reading from (where the sensor is mounted)...If it's an inline sensor (on the cooler line), and it's on the outgoing line (leaving the trans, going to the cooler), then 195's unheard of, but if it's an in-pan sensor, then I'd be a little worried...especially not towing. :eeek:

Not to mention today's technology advances in ATF does allow for a higher operating temp (~215ish), in moderation...Definitely need to be thinking about it though, and adjusting driving, or even pulling over and letting it cool some if towing...

Definitely high, especially for not towing. If you don't have any luck finding one in a wrecking yard, I'm running this cooler on my '95, keeps it nice and cool. It seems to be a pretty popular cooler with the OBS guys.

http://www.dieselsite.com/specialordertru-cool4739transmissioncooler.aspx

no luck with any of the wrecking yards, so looks like it might have to be a aftermerket one. The dealership wants a little over $500.00 for a new one, it would really suck if the pickup needed a new trans also.

I've seen it shoot up to 205 towing slow up a steep dirt road, otherwise it usually sticks around 180 or so unloaded in hot weather. This is on the Edge CTS which pulls from the factory trans temp sensor on my 02, with the factory 02 cooler.

I've been told that the OEM Ford (not aftermarket) cooler that comes in the 6.0 trucks is hands down the best one to install on these trucks, especially since it fits well because the body styles are the same, but is much larger than the cooler that came on the 7.3 trucks. Something I'll be looking further into, if I can find a used one in good shape rather than buying a new one from the dealer.

Last edited:
I've seen it shoot up to 205 towing slow up a steep dirt road, otherwise it usually sticks around 180 or so unloaded in hot weather. This is on the Edge CTS which pulls from the factory trans temp sensor on my 02, with the factory 02 cooler.

I've been told that the OEM Ford (not aftermarket) cooler that comes in the 6.0 trucks is hands down the best one to install on these trucks, especially since it fits well because the body styles are the same, but is much larger than the cooler that came on the 7.3 trucks. Something I'll be looking further into, if I can find a used one in good shape rather than buying a new one from the dealer.

I have been looking all day, I think I

I have one from a 6.0 in mine, it made a huge difference. Before that I had a plate cooler that was 12"x18" mounted in front of the radiator. That in it self made a big difference.

E bay......

There's two OEM 6.0 ones on there right now if you search under "6.0 transmission cooler", one for 190.00 "buy-it-now" and one for 150.00 with 0 bids. Shipping might be a little steep, but it's still gonna be cheaper than buying a new one.

It's likely there may well be an issue with it, or the sensor for it is bad...you take a temp gun to the trans pan/cooler hoses/etc. yet to compare readings?

Latest posts