• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2 5/16" trailer 2" ball rig ?

briejer

Would you tow a heavy 4x4 on a 2 5/16" trailer with a truck with a 2" ball? What if you just loaded the 4x4 so the tounge is heavy?

Does anyone have experience doing this?

Once and the hitch I had was a pintle hitch locked down on top of the 2 5/16th ball from 38th st to my house and it was noisy and jerky. I wont do it again. Go buy a ball goofy!

I move trailers around at work using a 2" ball in a 2 5/16 tongue. I would not tow that way. With the new laws for towing its not worth it if comes off. The balls are cheap.

STOP !! DON'T DO IT! Yes, I've done it and felt the pain.

Been there, done that:mad: , here's whats gonna happen next:

You'll probably manage to load your crawler ok. You tow it to to your favorite playground with no problem, it wont rattle around that much.

You un-strap your crawler and begin to back it off the rear of the trailer. There will be a point where just before the back tire of your crawler drops off the trailer where there is a ton of weight on the ass end if the trailer.

Right at that point the trailer tongue lock can't hold onto the too small of ball any more and the tongue will pop off the ball and fly up into the air.

The tongue will come to the end of the safety chains which are angled forward to the truck bumper. As the tongue rises the safety chains will yank the trailer foward and slam the tongue into your tailgate putting a huge glancing gash in it.:mad: :mad:

This happens all the time. When you drive down the road look for this tell-tail damage to tailgates, you will see it happens a lot !!

Last edited:
This is something that I could have a Major Rant about... But I'll just leave it at:

Stop...... Think..... Then act...

A 2 5/16" ball is about $ 15.00...

A 2 5/16" pintle hook with ball for a 2" receiver is about $ 100.00...

BUY THE DAMN BALL..........

What is the thinking here on your part??? (Or should I say lack thereof....)

This isn't even a question that have should been asked by anyone that has one lick of brains rattling around in their skull.

i have done this by mistake and had the trailer come free with just a a load of metal on it. Its no fun to play the herky jerky and try to stop the trailer with it swaying side to side and front to back slaming underneath ur bumper.
Dont be a tool and buy the ball:kissmybutt: :haha: :haha:

I did it to bellevue with my new trailer--then I relized I had the wrong ball and went and got a new one...

Looks to me that plenty of people have tried this and all have lived.

When renting a U-haul that only has a 2" ball (damn things are welded on) why not just load it tounge heavy?

When renting a U-haul that only has a 2" ball (damn things are welded on) why not just load it tounge heavy?

Because what was once welded on, may just as easily be cut off.

That goes for both the ball on the U-haul as well as the coupler on your trailer. Cut one of these off, and weld on a matched set. 2-2, or 2 5/16 - 2 5/16

And you thinkin of sellin the Dodge?

And you thinkin of sellin the Dodge?

I did not do this nor do I want to. I loaned my trailer out and was suprised that things were tow this way without consequences.

In this thread I never stated that I did it, or want to do it. I was just asking about it.

3 guesses for the member of this board that did this:flipoff:

This is a reason that dad and I have like four different ball mounts set up. Pull the pin and put the right one in. And if we loaned out our trailer, we would switch out their ball just so there would be no problem. Ball mounts and balls are cheap vs ???

I did not do this nor do I want to. I loaned my trailer out and was suprised that things were tow this way without consequences.

In this thread I never stated that I did it, or want to do it. I was just asking about it.

3 guesses for the member of this board that did this:flipoff:

Dang you got lucky and so did your friend. I dont want to know the Insurance issues that would have come up if there was any problems.

U-haul-cut the hitch or welded part and put the right one on, when you return it they will never know anybetter untill they try to hook a trailer up to it :haha:

go buy the right ball, before someone decides to kick you in the balls, you would be risking other peoples lives if you decide to drive down any public road. Pay the piper and get the right ball man, PLEASE:booo:

go buy the right ball, before someone decides to kick you in the balls, you would be risking other peoples lives if you decide to drive down any public road. Pay the piper and get the right ball man, PLEASE:booo:

Take a moment to read prior to making assumptions. Dumb Ass!!:flipoff: (this is not a peronal attack, just a not so friendly guesture to teach those that post to read thread before posting)

A 2 5/16 trailer coupler will stay on a 2" ball exactly 51 miles before coming off the ball on the freeway just after you finish passing that old beotch in the white buick as you are headed up I-90 out of yakima..... Bad idea... never ASSume that drop hitch has the 2 5/16 ball on there.... You get to change the stinger on the side of the freeway feeling like a retard.. :haha: