• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

20" vs 24" BMX

64FJ40

I'm seriously thinking about getting another bike. Part of it is making up an excuse to get another bike and I fully accept that, but most of it is that it seems stupid to put on riding gear necessitated by a mountain or road bike just to ride 1/2 a mile to my bus stop, then 1/2 a mile to my office. I want a "jump on and go" bike. I realize I could make another one of my bikes into that, but as I said before, it's a chance to maybe get something new.

So, any compelling arguments one way or the other about 20" and 24" bikes?

The reason I ask is that 20 is everywhere and always has been. But several years ago I got my brother a Robinson 24", and I REALLY liked it when I tried it out. He had it for a while, then it was stolen. He got most of it back, but no tires/wheels. I think it's all still sitting in my mom's garage minus wheels. I imagine new wheels are somewhat expensive, but probably no more than a decent 20" bike?

Thoughts?

what about 26"?

I've ridden 20" and 26" I like them both, i think 20" is easier in a park setting, a 26" is easier (some could argue) in a dirt setting, although i mainly rode dirt 20".

Are you taller? I could see liking a 24" over a 20" if you're taller/bigger.

24" wheels shouldnt be any more spendy. It'd be a fun bike to have. :awesomework:

If I were you i would get a 26" DJ it'll be way more cushy for your ride to work(if you get one with a front susp fork). you can sit down and pedal way easier, drop the seat some and jump some curbs on the way there.

Last edited:
Are you taller? I could see liking a 24" over a 20" if you're taller/bigger.

Not especially... I'm 5'11", about 230 (closer to 200 by summer). I suspect that what I liked about it was the longer top tube geometry, which I've never tried in a 20" so maybe that's what I should be looking into rather than wheel sizes.

Im thinking 24" would be better. You're aren't 120 lbs and the bigger bike is going to handle the terrain better.

I gotta side with a 24, but that said frame geometry is huge in my book. I just bought a redline and it is not nearly as fun to ride as my 25 year old revcore.

I think you oughta get a 20... I just happen to be selling a nice one.
bmx.png

24's are better for cruising around on, street/park I'd rather have a 20. Dirt is all about a hard tail mountain bike for me, big wheels and a squish fork are a lot more forgiving.

I'd rock the cruiser. Now that i'm a bit older & less in shape it feels more stable to ride than my old 20in bike.

trikekid, whats the specs on your bike?

Volume Deathwish 20.625
Fly Pantera Fork, WTP Bars
S&M Redneck, Sprocket and Seat clamp with the shield print.
Primo Pro crank, Odyssey PC Pedals, Shadow Half link chain
Premium front hub with a Rhynolite, Ody Hazard cassette laced to a 7ka
Primo Pro rear tire and a Kenda Kutlas front, have a front Ruben too.
Shadow seat with an Odyssey Intac post.

Weighs in at ~24lbs without weight whoring.

Have an Odyssey dirt fork with a Rhynolite laced to a Kink hub too, and a Macniel pivotal seat/post that I don't use because the post is cut to nothing. Dia-Tech 996 brake that I don't run too.

NWW price is $400

Last edited:
26" single speed. FTW.

This^^^^^^^^^^ except I run 8spd cuz sometimes I need a little more top end than the monocog allows:;

I've banned brakeless from our trails because I'm tired of POSER BRAKELESS DOUCHES squirling up the next lip and ****ing **** up...that I/we have to fix:pissed:

.........and...people,don't pm me asking for directions 'cuz it's "need to know" and none yall "need to know":kiss:

I've banned brakeless from our trails because I'm tired of POSER BRAKELESS DOUCHES squirling up the next lip and ****ing **** up...that I/we have to fix:pissed:

So grumpy in your senior years. Starting to sound like Brad. :flipoff:

Mounted up the rest of the TRs tonight. SWEET!!! Thanks again!

My BMX doesn't see any trails, this rig's for that stuff.

k1x9.png

But Brakeless and big bars are what the cool kids do.:fawkdancesmiley:

I'm only brakeless because I didn't feel like buying a set of pads, a lever and cable when I built it back up.

Last edited:
I'm 42 and stack dirt almost daily.....I don't give a **** about being cool.

"poser breakless douches" is in reference to the neighborhood groms that see the "pros" ride brakeless in the mags and videos and think it's "cool":rolleyes: At a place with a bunch of runoff area like the Softies or Greenlake it's fine to ride/learn to ride brakeless (I quess)....but @ tight trails with no runoff area,except the next lip, it sucks. Especially when the kids aren't locals and don't help build

Guys that can truely ride big sets,ON SIGHT, brakeless.....is friggen sick for sure:cool:

Nice 26" BTW

This^^^^^^^^^^ except I run 8spd cuz sometimes I need a little more top end than the monocog allows:;

.........and...people,don't pm me asking for directions 'cuz it's "need to know" and none yall "need to know":kiss:

HEY! Where are all the cool trails?! :D

i'm looking at getting a single speed hard tail for getting around town since it's getting nicer out, but also want to be able to ride some DJ and DH. I'm 6'4", 170-180lbs. Is a 24 going to fit ok or do I need to go up to a 26?

I haven't ever been into this serious bike stuff before, jsut did the typical little kid stuff, jumping board and brick ramps in the driveway.

i'm looking at getting a single speed hard tail for getting around town since it's getting nicer out, but also want to be able to ride some DJ and DH. I'm 6'4", 170-180lbs. Is a 24 going to fit ok or do I need to go up to a 26?

I haven't ever been into this serious bike stuff before, jsut did the typical little kid stuff, jumping board and brick ramps in the driveway.

I would recomend a DJ specific 26" There are some nice DJ 26" bikes that come set up stock ready to rip!! I get a hook up through KONA so I'm partial......but I ride an 2008 Kona Cowan...size small (I'm 5'10" 205) pretty much stock except for switched out to Maxxis Holy Roller tires and lock-on grips.I also cut 1.5" off the bars overall and chopped the seatpost so i could slam the seat.

All the bike MFG's pretty much make a DJ specific bike now and there is always the boutique brands that are sexy and more $$$$$$$$........I just go for the most function for the money. I will probably switch out soon to a cromolly frame just for piece of mind,

Here's what I currently ride daily @ the Dj's:

Attachments

• 2008-cowan.jpg
    2008-cowan.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 66