• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2006 RAM steering gear upgrades?

skrause

So, my passenger side ball joint fell apart at 50mph yesterday. Anyone here have experience with the aftermarket upgrades, preferably including greasable ends? Or should I just do the 2008+ upgrade that seems to be popular?

:wtf: How long have I been gone???:haha: --> :swing:

Should be a recall on it. You're talking about the tie rods correct? Not the balljoint? I've seen the 08+ upgrade fail, but maybe they have upgraded the upgrade by now?

I can't seem to find the years now. Only seeing 08+ for recalls at the moment.

Last edited:
The tie rod ends, yes. As I understand it the two recalls that could affect my truck are for replacement parts, not the factory parts I had fail.

The part number for the '08 upgrade has gone from letter A to I think L now, quite a few revisions. I'm just not sure I want to use Mopar parts...

sy7amb.jpg

Just ream out the arms and build a set of tierods with one ton chev stuff.

I would ream them out from the top tho, so if one ever failed or wore out and it would not fall off like the stock one!

I never liked "under arm" tierods. Its like putting a bolt in something with the head on the bottom and nut on top. BAD.

Just ream out the arms and build a set of tierods with one ton chev stuff.

I would ream them out from the top tho, so if one ever failed or wore out and it would not fall off like the stock one!

I never liked "under arm" tierods. Its like putting a bolt in something with the head on the bottom and nut on top. BAD.

Will the Chevy ends clear the rims? I know the crossover kit out there with heim ends won't. I agree on the upside down bullshit, it's right next to the "permanently lubricated" aisle in my opinion.

Nothing last's forever--I would just replace them with either OEM or aftermarket....

That's easy to say when you weren't the one veering into oncoming traffic with no steering. :fawkdancesmiley:

The Chevy stuff has issues too, a buddy of mine had one come apart on his Silverado and it put him into a telephone pole ripping off that whole side of his IFS.

That's easy to say when you weren't the one veering into oncoming traffic with no steering. :fawkdancesmiley:

The Chevy stuff has issues too, a buddy of mine had one come apart on his Silverado and it put him into a telephone pole ripping off that whole side of his IFS.

Ya but 99% of that stuff can be found before it fails by routine maintenance...:awesomework:

That era of chevy stuff is not the topic of discussion. 73-92 1 ton 4x4 tie rod ends are what they're talking about.

Ya but 99% of that stuff can be found before it fails by routine maintenance...:awesomework:

I was under the truck last weekend checking things over while the oil drained. :eeek:

Think Fiat will buy back a 2006? :redneck:

ive never had any one complain about the updated dodge stuff. and ive done a ton of them. yha, theres been updates and changes to it, but would you rather them not update it?

I need the 2008.5 steering with pitman arm. Steering box brace and carli steering stablizer

Also did dynastic ball joints and spin free kit

Did everyone around 117k, It didn't need it, but it was only a matter of time.....really happy so far