• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2010 Ford F-350

rover18

My Dad's 2010 F-350 was having starting issues, took to the dealer and found out that coolant was causing a short. The head gaskets went on it after about 15,000 miles. Anyways, thought it was interesting and will attempt to share the pics the tech took.

Last edited:
My guess is taking the cab off is about par these days to do just about any sort of work on newer trucks. Pretty cool about the dead rodent on the tcase.

My guess is taking the cab off is about par these days to do just about any sort of work on newer trucks. Pretty cool about the dead rodent on the tcase.

Has been on Fords since 97-98 depending on the model. As soon as the modular engine came in, major engine work has required lifting the cab off.

You dont have to pull the cab on the 6.0L's to do heads, havent tryed on a 6.4 yet. We timed it at our shop and it didn't save that much pulling the cab so we just leave them on...

Yes you can take the heads off with the cab in place on the 6 leakers. BUT, most people either want to go with studs, or it's suggested to them. In which case you do have to remove the cab. Or many other shops have decided that pulling the motor is easier/best. I'm told that too many people weren't placing the cabs back down correctly and were tweaking the cab.

Pretty sure 6.4's are the same. But can't remember 100%. 6.4's don't NEED studs like the 6 leaker though.

Last edited:
You can install the studs with the cab on when removing the heads, 6.4 and 6.0L heads are almost the same. I have yet to have one stock 6.0L head gasket fail... only time we do them is when someone wants a stud kit. Ford misdiagnosed alot of failed egr coolers on 6.0L's...

You can install the studs with the cab on when removing the heads, 6.4 and 6.0L heads are almost the same. I have yet to have one stock 6.0L head gasket fail... only time we do them is when someone wants a stud kit. Ford misdiagnosed alot of failed egr coolers on 6.0L's...

We have had 4 of our 6.oh's lose headgaskets. All of which had the EGR coolers removed cleaned and pressure tested. Only 1 of the coolers failed but under warranty they did HG's and cooler. Every one got ARP's installed. I buy them on Ebay and the dealer installs them.

It is still under warranty and we don't really need it for anything at the moment. They gave him a loaner for the time being.

To me, not needing the truck wouldn't be the issue. It would be the fact that my $45,000, two year old truck with only 15,000 miles, needs engine work...

I'm told that too many people weren't placing the cabs back down correctly and were tweaking the cab.

Yep and it has never been the same since. :booo: I was told it a ford and a piece of crap and to live with it. Kind of a bummer after you spent 10G on your truck

We have had 4 of our 6.oh's lose headgaskets. All of which had the EGR coolers removed cleaned and pressure tested. Only 1 of the coolers failed but under warranty they did HG's and cooler. Every one got ARP's installed. I buy them on Ebay and the dealer installs them.

We have got more then one 6.0L stud/headgasket job from the dealer because they wouldn't install anything but OEM ford parts and the owner wanted ARP's (and a delete). What Ford dealer are you using that will install ARP's under warranty?

We have got more then one 6.0L stud/headgasket job from the dealer because they wouldn't install anything but OEM ford parts and the owner wanted ARP's (and a delete). What Ford dealer are you using that will install ARP's under warranty?

Korum in Puyallup. They will install them at no extra charge if you provide the kit to them. They also have a local parts store stock a set that they will buy and add to your bill if wanted but they wanted $100 more than I could buy them online for.

Just a little update on this, the headgasket didn't do anything, it still blew black smoke like it was nobody's business. As far as I know/ was told by my Dad, they tried an EGR valve, didn't work. Put a new tech on it, a put on a new head, truck's fixed now and has been for about three to four weeks.