• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22 re clutch engagment issues

k2blazen

K so I Rebuilt this early 90's motor Replace the clutch" Cheap one" from O'Reilly's$120. Came with a one piece Throw out bearing/housing 1st time I've seen this style when buying them in the past. Installed everything motor runs great its idealing at 850 rpm's.I Go to shift into gears I can't get engage to any Gears. So I figure I need to go get a slave cylinder/Master this morning and It still doesn't have enough throw to engage the clutch.So I Pull the tranny before work t just double check Somethings .Found nothing wrong I'm leaning toward getting Another OEM Throw out bearing housing .I Double check the part number of t he clutch to make sure is Correct.

Last time I run into this problem my v6 Toyota my clutch pedal assembly Was ****ed And twisted .Iam flustered pissed If any buddy got any ideas Let's hear It .The throw out bearing Seems not to be engaging into the fingers of the clutch Like it should be.I can start in gear and wants to lunge forward. I've done quite a few trannies and clutches of my day Seven to ten year For the past 12years But yet I'm not perfect,so the old clutch Works great .I just figured replace it with new while I'm down that far.

yes All hydraulic components ar bleed right Manually and vauum bleed.
Note I posted all this on my phone so Some of the wording could be wack:redneck::cor

Last edited:
Not all throw out bearings are the same. There are like 4 diff. Ones over the years and half of them ha e diff. Heights. I had to take an arm off a later tranny for my early l series tranny for the later model throwout bearing to work, using a newer style throwout be cause the one that was in it I could not get for some reason.also some you have to press the bearing on the little carrier the clip clips to and there are two diff. Styles of it too.
So I say check new/ old bearing height.

Begin with the truck off, now press and hold the clutch pedal down and shift the trans into 1st. Now start it I bet you can shift it into any gear as long as you don't let the clutch pedal up. If that's the case survey says you need to replace the pilot bearing.

Not all throw out bearings are the same. There are like 4 diff. Ones over the years and half of them ha e diff. Heights. I had to take an arm off a later tranny for my early l series tranny for the later model throwout bearing to work, using a newer style throwout be cause the one that was in it I could not get for some reason.also some you have to press the bearing on the little carrier the clip clips to and there are two diff. Styles of it too.

This....Have run into this issue of throwout bearing height a couple times now over the yrs....

you can ajust the throw on the clutch inside cab at clutch peddle, 12mm and some pliers... this took care of the same problem for me.:beer:

I buy clutches form marlin or OEM/dealer cuz if the disc dont blow apart on the cheapy, the throw out bearing will only last ONE year IF it even fits.

you can ajust the throw on the clutch inside cab at clutch peddle, 12mm and some pliers... this took care of the same problem for me.:beer:

Yeah, well you can, but when you adjust that to 'make it work', you are on the last thread of the shaft, leaving no room for the locknut to do its job properly....I attempted this in the past, and this is when I realized there was an issue, although I have heard of people 'extending' their shaft by some means....It's best to do it right the first time.

Begin with the truck off, now press and hold the clutch pedal down and shift the trans into 1st. Now start it I bet you can shift it into any gear as long as you don't let the clutch pedal up. If that's the case survey says you need to replace the pilot bearing.

Tried doing this ,pilot bearing is new .truck lunges when syarting in gear.

adjusted out somewhat but like kev. said there's only so many threads to bit to be safe.

Iam leaning towards this scenerio

Yeah, well you can, but when you adjust that to 'make it work', you are on the last thread of the shaft, leaving no room for the locknut to do its job properly....I attempted this in the past, and this is when I realized there was an issue, although I have heard of people 'extending' their shaft by some means....It's best to do it right the first time.
:awesomework:was not much left for adjustment.

Wish I did not throw the old **** in the scrap bin:mad: local scrappers already salvaged it before I could save it.so if anybody has. a stock original throw out bearing housing around that you can spare Lmk .

brad or bryan:corn:

Last edited: