• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22r stock oil pressure?

2slow4you

Alright my gauge pod is almost installed. 3 questions

1. The oil pressure gauge is reading @ 95psi at idle and somewhere around 100-105 under throttle. This reads as yellow-red on the gauge... Is something wrong? should it be around 50-60psi (green)?

2. Where should I plug in the Water temp sender? I'm afraid to unplug the one on the intake mani. Are there any other ports?

3. When splicing into a wire, in my case the dimmer switch, does the direction of the splice matter? I'm getting a reverse effect, when the dash lights are on the gauge lights shut off and vise versa.

It's an 85' 22r if that helps at all.

Last edited:
My ftoy would typically read around 20 at idle and jump to 60 plus when on the throttle.

Sounds like you tapped onto the wrong side of the dimmer switch.

I stuck my aftermarket sender in where the stock one was worked good for me.

My ftoy would typically read around 20 at idle and jump to 60 plus when on the throttle.

Sounds like you tapped onto the wrong side of the dimmer switch.

I stuck my aftermarket sender in where the stock one was worked good for me.

damn, maybe i have a bad sender?

I tapped into both the pos and neg of the dimmer. Grounding off it should be ok or should I find a new ground.

and you are talking about the stock temp sender right?

I'd meter it to double check but i would think Dimmer switch should be the positive side of the lamps, not the negetive.

Yes on the stock temp sender location. Worked good for me.

I'd meter it to double check but i would think Dimmer switch should be the positive side of the lamps, not the negetive.

Yes on the stock temp sender location. Worked good for me.

Is there a way to keep the stock gauge hooked up to it? Even though im getting a gauge I won't be looking down where I put my gauges all the time. So if I could keep the stock one as an idiot light would be great.

The water temp worked out great, there was a little plugged bung right next to the stock water sender on the intake. :awesomework:

Here are pics of the install/high oil pressure. Any other ideas? I'm going to call the manufacturer tomorrow and see what kind of explanation they can give me.

Picture014.jpg

Picture015.jpg

nice and neat.

Picture016.jpg

inside shot

Picture017.jpg

Picture018.jpg

high oil pressure... :booo:

Picture019.jpg

Is the oil pump a factory AISIN pump?

Some aftermarket pumps are higher preasure.

And if you were really worried about it there is a small plug on the top of the oil pump. Behind it is a spring and plunger. IF it is an aftermarket pump they put in either a stronger spring or a shim which can be taken out.

My guess is the high oil preasure isn't bad at all.:eeek:

Bang for buck and keeping things simple probably putting in the factory guage cluster would have been a good route to have gone:awesomework:

Last edited:
Is the oil pump a factory AISIN pump?

Some aftermarket pumps are higher preasure.

And if you were really worried about it there is a small plug on the top of the oil pump. Behind it is a spring and plunger. IF it is an aftermarket pump they put in either a stronger spring or a shim which can be taken out.

My guess is the high oil preasure isn't bad at all.:eeek:

Bang for buck and keeping things simple probably putting in the factory guage cluster would have been a good route to have gone:awesomework:

You tell me, you were the last one to mess with oil pan... :fawkdancesmiley: I know that oil pressure is a good thing, I just thought only to a point... I will look into the pump though. With such high oil pressure, it might be the reason for my blow-by issues.

I'm still thinking about putting in an SR5 for the tac and trip odometer. :redneck:

Blow by issues :eeek:

Have you replaced the PCV valve? or at least checked and cleaned the hell out of it?

Unless I am mistaken oil pressure would have nothing to do with blow by.

Oil pressure is a function of the bearing to mating surface tolerances and oil pump output.

Once the pressurized oil has escaped the mating surface area it is free to drop back to the bottom of the oil pan under no pressure other than gravity.

A bad ring or rings can cause higher than normal crank case pressure. It can also allow a more than normal amount of oil to pass into the combustion chamber and be burned.

You tell me, you were the last one to mess with oil pan... :fawkdancesmiley: I know that oil pressure is a good thing, I just thought only to a point... I will look into the pump though. With such high oil pressure, it might be the reason for my blow-by issues.

I'm still thinking about putting in an SR5 for the tac and trip odometer. :redneck:

If you're checking oil pressure when cold, 100psi is not out of range. Take a look at it again when it's HOT.

If you're running 15w40 or 20w50, I would expect higher oil pressures. It just means you could probably run 5w or 10w30 instead, for slightly better fuel economy, and slightly better oiling on startup.

If you're checking oil pressure when cold, 100psi is not out of range. Take a look at it again when it's HOT.

If you're running 15w40 or 20w50, I would expect higher oil pressures. It just means you could probably run 5w or 10w30 instead, for slightly better fuel economy, and slightly better oiling on startup.

Yeah it comes down when warm, about 80psi. I'm running 10w30.

The PCV is bran new. my understanding is that without crankcase pressure to escape it forces its way past the rings/valves. I'll look into possible a blocked line. But it runs well, so im happy.

I wonder if there is a LOW pressure guage you can screw into the oil cap or something. In order to diagnose if there is too much manifold pressure.:corn:

Toyota runs a pressurized crank case. A lot of people think there is a problem when they take the oil cap off while running. It is NORMAL for oil to be blown out the oil cap hole and it to run weird when the cap is off.:eeek:

But like I said you have been running that AWSOME rig for how long now? It's fine. :awesomework:

I wonder if there is a LOW pressure guage you can screw into the oil cap or something. In order to diagnose if there is too much manifold pressure.:corn:

Toyota runs a pressurized crank case. A lot of people think there is a problem when they take the oil cap off while running. It is NORMAL for oil to be blown out the oil cap hole and it to run weird when the cap is off.:eeek:

But like I said you have been running that AWSOME rig for how long now? It's fine. :awesomework:

There is no doubt that it fine. I will run it untill those oil rings give out. Otherwise its been great. Just want to keep it on the up and up like any toyota enthusiast should.