• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22re injector problem

PHILLBILLY1

I swapped a 22re into my '79 2wd pickup, and I just about have it running, but I cannot seem to get fuel out of the injectors. If I spray starting fluid in the intake, it will fire, and then die. Is there a specific relay or something that I may have not hooked up? I have the main fuse box under the hood with power to it, I have spliced my ignition wires together, so it works from the factory stuff there, I have the O2 sensor hooked up, and I have an EFI tank/lines swapped in it.

Yes, it has great fuel pressure too. I cracked a line up by the intake and checked. I am getting fuel to the injectors, just not out of them.

circuit opening relay? it is supposed to be next to the ecu

Will go check that now:awesomework:

EDIT:
I just checked and can't find one. I went over to the donor truck (1989 4x4 pickup) and there was nothing but the two other plugs that go into the ecu. I checked the driver's side kick panel fuse box, and found three relays, but one was for taillights, one was for the starter, and the other was not marked. The one that was not marked, didn't have any wires that led directly to the ecu, they kinda dissapeared under the dash somewhere.

Last edited:
No. I am going all the way with it. It is too close to running, to just say F-it and throw a carb on it. I am waiting for a buddy of mine to get back to me. He has done a few of these swaps and probably knows the answer already. I know it is probably like one wire or some **** like that, that I haven't got hooked up properly.....:rolleyes:

sounds like the ground that comes out of the wiring harness under the intake pleum. It is quite hidden. Attaches to the intake pleum where the upper and lower come together on the rear set of tubes.

sounds like the ground that comes out of the wiring harness under the intake pleum. It is quite hidden. Attaches to the intake pleum where the upper and lower come together on the rear set of tubes.

There are two ground wires attatched to the plenum from the wiring harness in about the same area you described, except for a little closer to the front. Throughout my searches online, I did see that they are a fairly common oversight. I will check in the morning to make sure that there are no other grounds in that area.

I have scoured the entire engine bay for missing connections or grounds that were not attached, but failed to find any.... I am going to check for power on the positive side of the injectors when the key is on, and check for ground when I am turning it over..... See what that tells me.

The truck was running when we pulled it up on the trailer to bring it over to my house... :mad::mad:

had the same problem it turned out to be the screens in the injectors themselves took em out swapped for freshly cleaned ones and it ran great just a suggestion:beer:

And you do have fuel at the cold start injector? Sounds like mine when I had the supply and return lines swapped at the cell.

And you do have fuel at the cold start injector? Sounds like mine when I had the supply and return lines swapped at the cell.

There is no way to get them crossed up on mine. My supply line has threaded pressure fittings, and the return line is just a clamp on fuel line. And yes, there is fuel at the cold start injector. I cracked that line loose, and it sprayed pretty good:awesomework:

Also to add(just in case it helps); There is excessive pressure in the fuel tank itself. When I take the gas cap off, it makes a pretty loud hissing noise. More than the normal hiss you get when you are low on fuel or whatever.....

Could this be because the injectors are not opening, so the tank just builds up pressure??

I tested both sides of my injector plug and I am getting about 12v to both sides when the key is on......

EDIT:
Okay, so both sides are going to show 12v, because it is backfeeding off the rest of the injectors. I just found this out, so all I have discovered, is that my injectors are getting power....... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This is what I did when I swapped the motor:

-I unhooked only the necessary plugs and wires to get the motor out.

-Pulled the motor

-Disconnected the computer fom inside the donor truck

-took the coil/ignitor out of the donor truck

-Put the computer in my truck

-put the motor in my truck

-hooked up the donor coil/spliced my factory ignition to it also, so it will start using the factory ignition

-hooked up the alternator and ran my factory alternator wire to it, so I could read the volts on the factory guage

-hooked up the three plugs on the bottom of the computer(the ones the go into the engine compartment)

-Everything I disconneced from the motor to pull it out, got reconnected

-made sure the body/engine/frame are all grounded to eachother

I have heard of a relay that sits inside by the pass. side kick panel. I did not find one in the donor truck. Keep i mind, this truck ran awesome when I brought it to my house(so nothing missing before hand). There is an unidentified relay on the drivers side kick panel area, but those wires dissappear under the dash somewhere.

There was no fuse panel diagram on the driver's kick panel fuse box, so I do not know if there was something there for the efi or not.

:mad:
This is getting so frustrating......All I need is for the injectors to fire.......:puke:

Anybody want to come out and help me with this? I will pay for gas and whatever you feel is fair for your time. I just want to get this thing on the road. :corn:

What yr is the donor truck Phill???If it's an 89, There should be a relay, known as a circuit opening relay....it should be somewhere on the inside of the passenger kickpanel above where the computer goes...might be up in the dash--next to the glove box...