• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22re injector problem

What yr is the donor truck Phill???If it's an 89, There should be a relay, known as a circuit opening relay....it should be somewhere on the inside of the passenger kickpanel above where the computer goes...might be up in the dash--next to the glove box...

I found it today. I swore up and down that there was no relay, but my buddy donnie called me and told me where to look...... It is hidden in a pocket in the A-pillar.

The relay is behind the pass. side speaker next to the glove. If they get wet they go bad.
I felt stupid after I found it. I ended up taking the speaker cover off to get to it. :awesomework:

call me in morning ill come out an get it dialed ,I do what i say u got an efi tank??

I have to work this week, but If I dont figure it out tonight , I will call you:awesomework: Thanks:D

we had this exact same problem EXACTLY>

it was the MAF.
see if somebody has one you can swap quickly to give it a try.

and if you metered it... don't trust the results.. serioiusly

Edit: oops, missed the one about 12V on both sides..

Last edited:
Okay, so I found this circuit opening relay that I have heard so much about:awesomework:

Now I have a new mess to figure out...... There are wires going to the engine compartment and over to the driver's side of the cab......

WHICH ONES DO I NEED TO KEEP????:mad:

I cut out the wires that didn't go to the fuse box under the hood, and plugged the relay into the harness, and apparenty tha was the wrong move....Now I am tracing wires back to their origin, to fiure out which ones are needed.:mad:

This is such a fun project.:haha:

Last edited:
There's a lot of info out there regarding wiring the C.O. relay into a 1st gen....check out Boosted's build---I know, it's a lot to wade thru, but you'll figure it out....:awesomework: I get to do the same thing to the "Bumblebee" starting this week!!! :haha: (the BumbleBee is the 1st gen behind mine in my avatar!:redneck:)

There's a lot of info out there regarding wiring the C.O. relay into a 1st gen....check out Boosted's build---I know, it's a lot to wade thru, but you'll figure it out....:awesomework: I get to do the same thing to the "Bumblebee" starting this week!!! :haha: (the BumbleBee is the 1st gen behind mine in my avatar!:redneck:)

Thanks kev:awesomework: I have waded through so much crap online in the last few days......:mad:

I will check out his build. At least now I have it narrowed down.:awesomework: Good luck with your swap:redneck:

Be sure and post up with details once you get it...never hurts to have this info in more than one place/build/swap...:awesomework:

Be sure and post up with details once you get it...never hurts to have this info in more than one place/build/swap...:awesomework:

I dug through boosted's thread, and came up empty handed. Nothing specific to the CO relay. Looks like I am going to do some more surfing on the net......

I will definately do the best I can to give a step by step on this when I am done. Specifically the "not so obvious" stuff. :awesomework:

Make sure you have the resistor box hooked up and voltage going to the injectors. If it was a grounding issue the check engine light would not come. The injectors are always hot when the ignition is on and switched on the ground side by the ecu. The + wires are blue and yellow I think and you put 12v to the single terminal plug on the resistor box.

Make sure you have the resistor box hooked up and voltage going to the injectors. If it was a grounding issue the check engine light would not come. The injectors are always hot when the ignition is on and switched on the ground side by the ecu. The + wires are blue and yellow I think and you put 12v to the single terminal plug on the resistor box.

I have power to the injectors, but There was no resistor box. Unless it is in a hidden area:eeek:

do you have the circuit open relay on the passenger hooked up yet? if the whole system ran in the other rig then you either hooked up something wrong or forgot to hook something up... as far as i know all the circuit open relay does is control the fuel pump. im fairly certain it does not control the pulsing of the injectors

FYI there is no silver/aluminum rististor box in the newer rigs...

how much of the harness did you chop up? and did you swap in the fuel tank/pump/sender/complete intake and wiring,computer sensors ect ect...

do you have the circuit open relay on the passenger hooked up yet? yes if the whole system ran in the other rig then you either hooked up something wrong or forgot to hook something up... as far as i know all the circuit open relay does is control the fuel pumpKinda what I am figuring.... im fairly certain it does not control the pulsing of the injectors What does then???:booo:

FYI there is no silver/aluminum rististor box in the newer rigs...

how much of the harness did you chop up? And did you swap in the fuel tank/pump/sender/complete intake and wiring,computer sensors ect ect...

I didn't chop up ANY of the engine bay harness. The only thing I have "chopped" is the circuit opening relay.:;

I used the fuel tank/pump/sender/complete intake and wiring,computer sensors ect ect...

I didn't chop up ANY of the engine bay harness. The only thing I have "chopped" is the circuit opening relay.:;

I used the fuel tank/pump/sender/complete intake and wiring,computer sensors ect ect...

i am not certain what controls the firing of the injectors... maybe look on pirate or yotatech for some info on this?

interesting... if that is the only thing missing like you say then that must be the issue:eeek:

i am not certain what controls the firing of the injectors... maybe look on pirate or yotatech for some info on this?

interesting... if that is the only thing missing like you say then that must be the issue:eeek:

To my knowledge, that is the only thing missing. I have the C.O. relay hooked up, as-per the F.S.M., and still no injector fire. I only disconnected the plugs that I absoulutely had to, to get the engine out. I am positive that they are back where they go.

I really appreciate everyone's help. I'm not trying to be lazy and rely on everyone else to figure out my problem. I have been searching and researching everywhere I can find, going to hundreds of links that end in a dead end..... I am exhausted from looking everywhere, and all I keep coming up on now are the same things I have read dozens of times already. That link to the factory service manual helped ALOT:awesomework:

Back