• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22RE..... stumped

J_SIN

I bought TooRiskys 22RE of of the wrecked 4runner. He said they did a compression test on one of the cylinders and it only had 30lbs, not sure which cylinder. Its a fresh build with around 5k miles on it I believe. I pulled the head off it today and found nothing wrong with the valves or the bottom end. he was guessing something may have happened to the valves from the sudden impact killing the engine when he got in his head on collision, but like I said, I see nothing wrong and everything still looks brand new. The engine really doesnt look like it took much impact at all. The only real damage is the fan and the waterpump pulley has a very slight bend. My only guess is the timing chain jumped in the accident but I dont know if that would cause the low compression or what.

Can any of you think of something else I should check before I start to reassemble the engine? My plan was to pull the head off my engine and swap it onto the new block but I'm not sure if thats even worth the trouble if I dont have to. My truck is an 85 and I believe the new engine is an 89. Do I even need to swap heads or should I just put this one back on and do a straight up swap?

I bought TooRiskys 22RE of of the wrecked 4runner. He said they did a compression test on one of the cylinders and it only had 30lbs, not sure which cylinder. Its a fresh build with around 5k miles on it I believe. I pulled the head off it today and found nothing wrong with the valves or the bottom end. he was guessing something may have happened to the valves from the sudden impact killing the engine when he got in his head on collision, but like I said, I see nothing wrong and everything still looks brand new. The engine really doesnt look like it took much impact at all. The only real damage is the fan and the waterpump pulley has a very slight bend. My only guess is the timing chain jumped in the accident but I dont know if that would cause the low compression or what.

Can any of you think of something else I should check before I start to reassemble the engine? My plan was to pull the head off my engine and swap it onto the new block but I'm not sure if thats even worth the trouble if I dont have to. My truck is an 85 and I believe the new engine is an 89. Do I even need to swap heads or should I just put this one back on and do a straight up swap?

I broke rings in 1 cyl. in 350 chev that was in a accident. was just fine after Honing replacing rings

I have a head gasket that was going on my old engine but now I'm going to use that to put this head back on the new engine and test the compression again.

I'm with Trekin on this one, just because the rings/valves look ok doesn't mean that the crank is still ok. Rip it all apart and make sure everything is ok. Trust me it will save you headaches down the road. :awesomework:

if the chain jumped it could have a bent valve
more than 1.
mine jumped at IDLE. i dont remember the exact count. but it bent MOST of them.:mad:

should be obvious tho. just by turning the cam, until the valve closes. use water, or even a flashlight to check for a gap.

and i agree with Trekin, YOU should have done your own compression test, BEFORE u tore it down. atleast you would know where to look for a problem. hell, maybe when it was wrecked, a chunk of carbon held a valve open:eeek:

Jasin glad to see ya working on it...My suggestion to you was to pull the pan and see if eny parts are in it first off....As for the compression test it was as you described, and we did the test multiple times with 2 compresion testers. We could only get a readable amount of compression over over one cylinder buillt through the complete 2 turn build up of under 30psi, the rest showed at best 5 psi and all where consistant with both compression testers.

Hope eveything works for ya, take a look in the pan for a clue, and I have not forgotten your bumbers.

Latest posts