• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22re timing chain issues...

Paulie

Looking for man love
Today i pulled my valve cover to check my valves and they seemed to be okay. i look at my timing chain and on the right side of the chain has about 1/4"-1/2" slop in it. i dont think thats normal, the other side is tight. now im looking online to see if i can figure out what went wrong. with the little info i gave, can anyone help me out. now im thinking i might have a bad chain dampener.

How do the guides look and does it rattle on startup at all? The tensioner is oil pressure based, so some slack is ok when it's not running, but it also has a spring in it, so there shouldn't be too much slack.

Replacing the tensioner, chain, sprockets and guides is a good idea on a higher mileage 22re, especially if you don't know when it was done last, as you don't want a loose chain to chew up the guides and then chew into the timing cover and make a mess.

on the timing cover, right behind the crank pulley there is a 7/8s bolt, now i loosen that and there was a spring inside. under that spring by any chance is there a ball bearing in there.

under that spring by any chance is there a ball bearing in there.
there should be.. that is the oil check valve, also there should be some slack in the chain on the right side until the motor is started and gets oil pressure to the t-chain dampener :beer:

i went ahead and fixed the dampener that was busted. got it all back together, fired it up and i think its off a tooth. when i turn it over, it goes to start and right before it fires it kicks back.also its making a kinda like a soft knock up front near the oil pump im guessing but when i replace my oil pan gasket and put new lube in i hope it fixes it, if not im at it again

I hate working on motors.

Last edited:
you got 7hrs till we are supposed to meet up!! is your **** gonna make it? someone better show.
now its 4hrs!!

Last edited:
:booo: :booo:
:masturbanana[1]:
oh well someday you might make it up this way!!
call me later if your **** is fixed.. at this time im assuming its not so no walker.

i went ahead and fixed the dampener that was busted. got it all back together, fired it up and i think its off a tooth. when i turn it over, it goes to start and right before it fires it kicks back.also its making a kinda like a soft knock up front near the oil pump im guessing but when i replace my oil pan gasket and put new lube in i hope it fixes it, if not im at it again

I hate working on motors.

The timing chain or dizzy off? Almost sounds like the dizzy is off. Its easy to do since the gears are curved the way they are. Ive done it more than once. Just pull it out and stab it back in again see if that helps. As for the chain, did you line the colored links up on the gears correctly when you put it back together? Or did you use the used set that you took out and couldn't see the colored links on anymore? In my experience once you pull the chain off the cam gear, the cam usually rotates a tiny bit since the pressure from the valve springs is on the rockers, thus turning the cam a little to try and relieve the pressure. So, if you had to rotate it a little to get the links to line up with the gear teeth, you might have gone the wrong way.

Dunno about the knock though, any more description of it?

~T.J.

Sweet. Good thing it wasnt the chain off a tooth.

Still worried about that knocking or did it go away once it ran right and got oil PSI going?

~T.J.