• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

steering issues

Rjhoward32006

I'm going to try and keep this short and simple. steering works well in normal trail riding and east coast terrain. west coast, we shall call it "sticky" rock. with weight on the steer axle or trying to comp crawl the steering does not have enough force to turn the tires 39" red labels and just sticks. I"m going to assume its an orbital issue for the most part, but do not understand all the math cc flow rate ****. Someone told me i do not have enough flow? not sure if this is true thats why I am asking the masses.

dana 60 kingpin front
8" trailgear double ended ram
tc style trail-gear or psc pump (pressure gauge shows 1500 psi)
fairly large res
10" x 11" cooler
currently has about 3.5 turns lock to lock which I am okay with

axle shafts are machined for more steering so the tie rods are pulled back on the steering arm for more travel.
slightly over 5" from kingpin to tie rod bolt

I'm thinking 50 percent sure this is the orbital i'm currently running. eaton 291-1034-003 19 L/m 5 gal/m 4.5 In 3/r open center non reactive

if it is not this orbital it could also be this but i dont think it is. eaton 211-1178-002 45 L/m 12 gal/m 462 cm 3/r 28.2 In 3/r open center non reactive

I currently have a couple more orbitals that I will list but am not above buying a different one from these if it will fix the problem.

101-1-80f
211-1012-002
211-1001-002

also what do you guys think about adding a remote mount oil filter housing and adding a power steering filter?

86895740cb28c4457e3af3b292000448.jpg
4800c548cfc970e89687b9867da34583.jpg
89b4a088de4596711096d6915ec4a3a4.jpg

0753cabfa6a633e10a4bfb0d637791c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need a bigger ram or more pressure. Or longer steering arms and a longer throw ram...

Flow=speed

Pressure=force

Larger ram or longer arms require less force to do the same work

how hard would it be to move your tie rods out to the outer hole? (the one ~7.25" from centerline)

You would lose some steering angle, but it would give you an idea of how much stronger it would be if you did that and needed to step up to a 10" ram

I'm going to try this after I replace the orbital, my current orbital is still working but I'm starting to see a good bit of feedback from the tires so it needs to be replaced.
If it helps, I might try and build some arms to keep the leverage and offset the tie rods to the inside and double shear them to keep the 8" ram. If I can't figure it out I'll just buy a 10"

would still like to know some more info or flow rates cc's of these other orbitals I have just for comparison sakes and learning.

Re: Re: steering issues

Rjhoward32006 said:
I'm going to try this after I replace the orbital, my current orbital is still working but I'm starting to see a good bit of feedback from the tires so it needs to be replaced.
If it helps, I might try and build some arms to keep the leverage and offset the tie rods to the inside and double shear them to keep the 8" ram. If I can't figure it out I'll just buy a 10"

would still like to know some more info or flow rates cc's of these other orbitals I have just for comparison sakes and learning.
The only way to increase the leverage with the arms, is to extend the length; which means you need a longer stroke to keep the same turn angle.