• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

24v programmer suggestions

Whew there's a lot of good info in here.

What would the best route be to boost mine up to 400hp? Currently I have a 4" turbo back. I think stock they are 260hp... (99 CTD)

TST (or equivalent), Smaller S300 turbo (62/68 or 62/65), Supporting pump like a FASS or Airdog. As well as a small injector upgrade (DDP2's). It adds up pretty quick if everything is bought new. But parts for lower hp goals are often for sale with few miles on them for much less. It's very common for people to get the bug and want more and more, so they sell off their upgrades quick :)booo:). You can hit your mark with less, but to make it run smooth and clean with few worries, it's best to have all the mods so your truck isn't working very hard in any one area and causing more problems.

Be cautious on who does your tranny too. That is one place you really don't want to skimp on. There are a lot of people out there who believe they can build the tranny to hold no problem. But it's way different then the high hp gassers they're used to building for.

Last edited:
Whew there's a lot of good info in here.

What would the best route be to boost mine up to 400hp? Currently I have a 4" turbo back. I think stock they are 260hp... (99 CTD)

lift pump, injectors, programer, turbo, trany upgrades.

your prob sitting @ 230-240 rwhp stock, 400 would be fun

My tranny is getting upgraded next week. SO that's why I have been thinking about adding some power.

I got 408 to the ground with a smarty TST and a smaller set of injectors. I am still running the stock turbo and really need to upgrade but I may be upgrading trucks soon.

My tranny is getting upgraded next week. SO that's why I have been thinking about adding some power.

Just curious, who's building the trans and what do you mean by upgrade?

Also if you want to try the Smarty I believe some of the local dealers will let you try it out for a short time, could be someone in your area willing to let you borrow it for a test run to. Might be worth a try to see if you like it.

Lucky Jeff is totally right, it might be worth your time to join a few of the diesel forums and keep your eye out for deals on the items you want. I see used performance parts for these trucks all the time.

Last edited:
I still haven't decided on which tuner to get but the air dog 2 should be here next week I hope. I researched a little on my turbo and its a BB 58. Seeing how it's not a huge turbo I might go with 75 hp injectors when I decide which tuner to buy.

Also if you want to try the Smarty I believe some of the local dealers will let you try it out for a short time, could be someone in your area willing to let you borrow it for a test run to. Might be worth a try to see if you like it.

yep, call bob @ 253-735-6281 see if he knows any one in your area that can let ya test drive one. you can tell him gus refered ya...

2nd gen smartys dont make a whole lot of peek horsepower, but man do they make torque, and they get rid of the factory " torque management" so throttle responce is wicked!