• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

3 link, or 4 link?

nevada

im sure this has been discussed before....

which is better, and why?

personal experience with either?
for my next build, i plan on running coils, in the rear, and im trying to decide if im gonna do 3-link, or 4-link. 3 link is more appealing...since i wont have to alter my fuel tank, or its location....

pros
cons
of each?

dont plan on having an extreme rock crawler, just something that flexes good, and is stable. been running leaves forever, figured it was time for a change.

ive searched, and didnt really find what i was looking for.

I prefer a 4 link myself. I find the handeling characteristics more constant than 3 links that hit the same obstacles..

3 links or 4 is the first of many variables that need to be addressed.

...suspension related "stear", squat or anti-squat, spring rates, shock valving, vehcile weight, driveline clearance and the list goes on...

Neither........Leafs are better.
for some things, i agree. its time to try something new.
Too death...
yeh, thanks:rolleyes:
I prefer a 4 link myself. I find the handeling characteristics more constant than 3 links that hit the same obstacles..
thats what im looking for, thanks.

3 links or 4 is the first of many variables that need to be addressed.

...suspension related "stear", squat or anti-squat, spring rates, shock valving, vehcile weight, driveline clearance and the list goes on...
i didnt ask all that, but thanks.

if theres so many thread discussing this...please, feel free to link me to them, so i can read up. like i said, i searched, and i didnt find what i was looking for.

Brad...you have a threesome in the front and a foursome in the rear...I feel yer an expert on both styles..............tell us how you feel

Brad...you have a threesome in the front and a foursome in the rear...I feel yer an expert on both styles..............tell us how you feel

I'm really not feeling the love today, I think missing church this past Sunday has really had a negative impact on the start of my work week.

You guys do realize that a three link is a radius arm setup right? A four link could be a panhard setup or wish bone style....There's quite a few variations in between too.

Do whatever fits best. Personally i would launch the fuel tank and do a 4 link, But several people do a set-up with a panhard in the back to keep the gas tank in the stock spot...Doing it that way will get yer tank fawked.

This could keep you busy for a while this or this.
thanks, i'll read through them. i think i already read through the first one...atleast partway...

is it me?:eeek:

i didnt ask HOW..i asked..the difference between, and what ppl think about each. did YOU even check the threads YOU linked to...some arent even about LINKED suspension:looser:
and NONE of which answered the quesions i asked. i was hoping for some PERSONAL experience, sorta like crash's answer.

ALTHO, there is some helpful info there, that im sure i will be wanting/needing later, so for THAT, i thank you:awesomework:

You guys do realize that a three link is a radius arm setup right? A four link could be a panhard setup or wish bone style....There's quite a few variations in between too.
ok, but....why is one style better than the other? or is it?

correct me if im wrong, they will both acomplish the same thing.

if a 4 link is BEST, why is there a 3 link?
if a 3 link is BEST, why is there a 4 link?

what about each style, makes it better, or worse than the other one?

correct me if im wrong, they will both acomplish the same thing.

if a 4 link is BEST, why is there a 3 link?
if a 3 link is BEST, why is there a 4 link?

what about each style, makes it better, or worse than the other one?

They both do the same thing only if you think in basic terms. They both locate the axle. How they do it and how the suspension will react in different situations is the difference between the two. To get the juicy details on this go to pirate and search. Read for about a month then come back.

Yeah, I know the info I linked for you is useful, especially since you haven't even managed to figure out that...
There is no BEST setup, only what works for your application.

You want something that flexes good and will work with your stock fuel tank location? Only you will know what will fit...3 or 4...

Both can be stable or unstable, depends on how you build them.

I have both in my rig and like them both. I like my 3 link in the front so much that when I had the chance to do a 4-link I just improved on the 3-link instead.

The 4-link in the rear is from S&N, it ****in rocks.

Here's what happens......

Mr. Fabber builds a (__) link suspension. He says he can do it himself and requires no help from others. He runs into clearance and fitment issues.......but rolls with the punches and gets it done. Then, Mr. Fabber goes out wheeling and the (__) link suspension is not to his liking. It's his fault for not doing it right, but blanmes it on the (__) link suspension.

Now Mr. Fabber decides to change it up and build a (__) link suspension this time......to "fix" the issue. But with a previous insalled suspension under his belt, he askes for input this time. He builds his new (__) link suspension and like a charm, it works.

Now Mr. Fabber goes on the internet and bad mouths his old (__) link suspension and praises his new (__) suspension. Not telling us (or realizing) that the first suspension was not correct, while the 2nd try was correct.

This is why opinions are just opinions. Go with a 4 link......:flipoff: