• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4.0 Jeep engine smells like fuel

Glenn

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 I-6 engine.

This is my girlfriend's Jeep. I'm not too familiar with Jeeps.

Smells like fuel under the hood. The injectors were replaced last year under some type of warranty or recall. The smell was the same that time too.

It also seems to be guzzling gas more than usual.

Anyone have any ideas what to look for to fix this? We can't do major work, but can probably do minor stuff.

1) Call the dealer with the VIN. See if the car qualifies for any open recalls, service bulletins, warranty fixes, campaigns, etc. You may find they'll fix it for free.

2) Look carefully under the hood. Most often, the problem is obvious. Have the GF crank the key, while you're watching the fuel lines, injector rails, injectors, etc to see if you can notice anything.

3) When fuel mileage decreases, often there's a problem with the engine's computer controlled electronics. So check the trouble codes stored in the OBD2 system for any obvious problems. Might be something as simple as a bad O2 sender, which is causing a too-rich fuel mix. Bad gas mileage and fuel smell. Or a clogged air filter. Or a bad ...

Good luck

1) Call the dealer with the VIN. See if the car qualifies for any open recalls, service bulletins, warranty fixes, campaigns, etc. You may find they'll fix it for free.

2) Look carefully under the hood. Most often, the problem is obvious. Have the GF crank the key, while you're watching the fuel lines, injector rails, injectors, etc to see if you can notice anything.

3) When fuel mileage decreases, often there's a problem with the engine's computer controlled electronics. So check the trouble codes stored in the OBD2 system for any obvious problems. Might be something as simple as a bad O2 sender, which is causing a too-rich fuel mix. Bad gas mileage and fuel smell. Or a clogged air filter. Or a bad ...

Good luck

The 4.0 I-6 engine is pretty much a garbage engine with all the problems and recalls it's encurred over the years, typical for Chrysler really.

The 4.0 I-6 engine is pretty much a garbage engine with all the problems and recalls it's encurred over the years, typical for Chrysler really.
:haha::haha::haha::haha: You obviously don't know **** about the 4.0....sure there are a few issues, but they pale in comparison to most other powerplants out there...the 4.0L was one of the better motors made...

:haha::haha::haha::haha: You obviously don't know **** about the 4.0....sure there are a few issues, but they pale in comparison to most other powerplants out there...the 4.0L was one of the better motors made...

Seems like that's the case for just about all I-6's isn't it?

Seems like that's the case for just about all I-6's isn't it?

Well, no...the chevy mexi-made 250 was a huge pile, most ford I-6's were decent, but did have their issues as well....my point to him was every engine has its issues, and the 4.0L is no exception, but are a great powerplant that has the reputation of the preferred engine in anything they came in....:awesomework: