• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4.3 Chebby motor question

FatAzzRunner

Got a 91 Runner with a fawked up motor in it.

I am looking at swapping in a 4.3 Chevy motor in place of the 3.0.

Anyone know the "average" cost of doing this swap? I dont have any of the parts right now so I would need all of whatever it takes to do it.

I have been told I would want to go to a Chevy tranny as well. The factory set up on this truck right now is an automatic. Would like to build it
into a crawler later but just needing to do an engine swap now to get it back on the road.

Oh, and if I decide to do this..........anyone in the Northern AL area willing to do the swap? If so, what would install run?

Thanks

Price's on motor's vary so wildly it's tough to call. Bob ( I think thats his / your name and Im sorry if I got it wrong ) has or had one posted for sale recently in the for sale section that was COMPLETE and had a good harness.

Complete is another aspect that seems to vary wildly from person to person... alot of folk's will say complete if it has the heads and intake... but it's missing all the accesories something to consider. Shopping around will net you the best results obviously. Good luck man and get your stuff ready to rock you need to come out to Grayrock and wheel with us man ! :dblthumb:

P

have ran 4.3 in two rigs and love them . am currently building a buggy with one now , i like the 95 model vortec that came with tbi bought mine at salvage yard for $400 and run a aftermarket wiring harness from a f i

Ive got a"complete with all accessories" Vortec 4.3 w/ 2wd 4l60e (I think) tranny outa '98 chevy blazer. $600
Still have the blazer so you can get the computer and all the plugs for the harness. I was told that if you have the plugs they will make your harness for you cheaper.

rock yuppie is having his 4.33 taken out and puting in 6.0 rite now
you may be able to buy his hole works wiring and all at a good deal
phone number is Bob @404-925-5831

Yeah we just got it out. It is albertsville Al at Scotts Auto and 4x4 (256)593-5951. He can give you a quote to swap it out. The motor runs great. Fires up first time every time. New spider injection, howell flashed computer. I was happy with the motor, but I wanted that V-8 sound and whip when you launch. Complete motor and harness ready to hook to your rig. $1000.00 OBO

I love mine. I bought a 95 blazer with the TBI z code engine for 400. I took the motor, harness, and brain then parted the rest for $500 then sold the carcas to a guy for $400. Sweet Deal.

gonna be more money for a vortec engine swap, usually people want more for em and if you get the harness cut down, that can gets $$$$$ but worth it if that is the way you want to go. also depending on how complete the engine you get makes a difference.

i got a '89 tbi engine w/ 700r trans for $250, sold the trans for $100, so i got $150 in my engine.
rebuild kit for engine $100
engine didn't come with any accessories so i had to buy hei distributor, water pump, alternator, ps pump (used), starter, just guessing maybe $350 max
edelbroc intake for propane $75 ebay score
propane kit $350
pull a part 350 turbo $75 (got lucky, didnt refresh or anything yet and it works fine)
picked up a used th350 to toy tcase adapter w/ transfer case i think $150 - $175 ish (thanks hardline)

i made my own motor mounts, tranny crossmember, got the FROR tc center piece and made the rest. completely tore out the stock wiring harness and re wired what electronics i have left and picked up some mechanical gauges. guessing maybe another $500 at the absolute most for everything else and other odds and ends.

i'm sure you could do it for less but i shopped around and did pretty good, i thought?

The motor and tranny I have are "complete with everything" still have blazer if need any parts off it.It was driveable when I got it but had been flipped. I test drove it everthing worked including ac :****:

Well, I just got done figgerin my taxes. I might could be gettin ahold of one of you soon for a motor.

It will be thrown in the rig so my daughter can start driving it to school next year until I get the money together
to buy a car for her.

Thanks,