• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4.88 vs 5.29 gears?

rooinater

well, still haven't ordered my gears yet. i was wondering if, since the rig is going to be a to the trail or soon to be trailered rig. if the 4.88's would be a stronger set of r&p's instead of getting 5.29 gears. or would i not be able to make it to the the trail if i drive, cause 4.88's won't be enough?? just curious, and would prefer the strongest combo.

the setup would be,
propane injected 22r, 39.5" irok tires, dual cases, rear case is a 4.7...

and no i can't afford to go dana 60's right now... maybe after i finish college... :booo:

Last edited:
with 39's I think you'd pretty much have to run 5.29's.. Hell I wasn't sure if I should run 5.29's or 5.38's with 37's

I wish I'd gone with 4.88s now that I trailer and am going to be putting in a v6. So you should buy my 5.29s from me. :flipoff:

well basically... if you're gonna trailer it, then keep the 4.10's. it would suffer on the street, though. just depends on how much you wanna drive it on the street.

the main long hauls for the first year, till i buy my own trailer. will be gig harbor to... naches and rim rock, evans creek, and the occasional trip to reiter or walker. but i'll be trying to use a trailer whenever i can to save on tire wear and tickets... my goal is to have it be a trailered rig as soon as i can get a trailer. 4.88's will suffer on the street, but am i going to be able to do the speed limit to the trail? or just wing it and get the 5.29 gears?

the main long hauls for the first year, till i buy my own trailer. will be gig harbor to... naches and rim rock, evans creek, and the occasional trip to reiter or walker. but i'll be trying to use a trailer whenever i can to save on tire wear and tickets... my goal is to have it be a trailered rig as soon as i can get a trailer. 4.88's will suffer on the street, but am i going to be able to do the speed limit to the trail? or just wing it and get the 5.29 gears?

With 5.29s and 36 iroks my truck already can't even do the speed limit. :haha: :haha: :haha:

Do stock gears all come cryo'd?

I think not.

How many people on this board have destroyed a R&P set, or multiple sets, only to replace them with a cryo'd set that has held up much longer?

If you are destorying R&P's either you are running too small of an axle for what you are using it for or your gears were never setup correctly to begin with.

Do stock gears all come cryo'd?

I think not.

How many people on this board have destroyed a R&P set, or multiple sets, only to replace them with a cryo'd set that has held up much longer?

If you are destorying R&P's either you are running too small of an axle for what you are using it for or your gears were never setup correctly to begin with.

Good points. I've never had any of my gears cryo'ed, I just hear the Toyota guys raving about it all the time as a way to add a little extra strength to the R&P set. I know Bobby Long does cryo treating on them... maybe he can chime in with more facts.

If you are having gear problem's it usually comes from bad setup. Cryoing gear's doesn't help any with case deflection though:rolleyes:

After you break 3 or more 5.29 gear set's then risk a cryo treat and see what happens. I say go for a properly set up yukon geared 5.29 set. Even if ya run 33's your fine. Man up, this isnt a small jimmy sport.