• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4cyl to 6 swap? Difficult?

nwwheeler08

has anyone on here ever done it? i really like the 4.0 motor but its tough to find a yj with the six and a 5 speed. Ive had to do a swap on my ranger before and it wasnt too bad. so just curious if its something i should avoid or if i find the right deal go for it?

Not sure where you are looking, but just about every YJ has a 5 speed. Stay away from 5 speeds out of a 4cyl, as they are pieces of junk.

right they all do but most of them for sale have the damn 4cyl. so i was basically wondering if i should get a four cyl with a 5 spead and swap the motor or get a 6cyl with an auto and swap for an ax-15 and then sell the auto tranny. that is if i cant find a decent rig with the 6/5 already in it

what up Scott......the five speeds out of the 4 cly are not..i repeat not the ax15 but the ax5.

AX15 = ok

AX5 = ****

If you want to do a swap down the road, a tbi 350 is an easier swap from a 4cyl wrangler than going to a 4.0L. if you really want a 4L then wait and buy one with it already. It is not worth doing especially when you are buying the rig now. just get a 4.o 5sp now.

If you want to do a swap down the road, a tbi 350 is an easier swap from a 4cyl wrangler than going to a 4.0L. if you really want a 4L then wait and buy one with it already. It is not worth doing especially when you are buying the rig now. just get a 4.o 5sp now.

this^^^^^

X3 on this one

skip the 4cyl to 6cyl to v8 BS and go the right way right off the bat. If you want 4.0 wait on a stocker that has one already in it. As far as swaps are concerend IF YOU CURRENTLY OWN A 2.5 and your itching to swap do the v8 and be done with it... just my 2cents

one reason the tbi swap is good for the 4cyl yj(dep. on year) is it has an electric fuel pump that is close to that needed for the tbi conversion. Mine was a 91 2.5 YJ and the intank pump worked flawlessly.

Latest posts