• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4l60e or 350

jim koch

Looking for some help advice. Doing a 5.3 swap to CJ7 4 linked rear extended wheelbase. I have the 4l60e trans that came with motor it is 4x4 version and is still bolted to motor. I also have a 350 NP205 combo laying on floor. If I go with the 4l60 it will get mated to the original dana 20 via novak adapter with vss. jeep is running dana 44's with 36 inch tires so strength shouldn't be an issue. Just wondering what other peoples thoughts on pros and cons of both set ups is. Any help is greatly appreciated. Oh yeah kind of a newb to this site been lurking and reading for awhile figured I would post this. Gotta start somewhere

jim koch said:
Looking for some help advice. Doing a 5.3 swap to CJ7 4 linked rear extended wheelbase. I have the 4l60e trans that came with motor it is 4x4 version and is still bolted to motor. I also have a 350 NP205 combo laying on floor. If I go with the 4l60 it will get mated to the original dana 20 via novak adapter with vss. jeep is running dana 44's with 36 inch tires so strength shouldn't be an issue. Just wondering what other peoples thoughts on pros and cons of both set ups is. Any help is greatly appreciated. Oh yeah kind of a newb to this site been lurking and reading for awhile figured I would post this. Gotta start somewhere

Better upgrade the output shafts if you intend on running that Dana 20. Rear output is going to be your weak link in that setup.

TH350 & 205 unless you really plan on a lot of hwy miles and will be needing the overdrive of the 4l60.
Save the adapter $$ to go towards a stronger front axle or axle shafts.

You can delete all the tranny stuff from the PCM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vss helps tell the computer load and rev factors to change while running my buddy said he noticed a big difference in how well the the motor ran over all idling under load etc

I built a jeep last year with an Lq4/350/Atlas and it has problems with no vss. You can run a manual transmission tune and they say 9 out of 10 have no issues. Well mine was the 10th. It will stumble or die under hard acceleration. Even when loading it on a trailer without ramps. It gets really annoying.

The 350 has no where to really adapt vss, and unfortunately the Atlas didn't either. I considered a jagsthatrun setup off the yoke, but sold the project. Some of the later model 205s have vss, or you can get a signal transmitter for the speedo cable from Dakota Digital. I personally would strongly consider the 4l60. If you're worried about strength, go with the 4l60 or a 400. Just my opinion as tuning vss out does not always work.

Re: Re: Re: 4l60e or 350

sleepsontoilet said:
I built a jeep last year with an Lq4/350/Atlas and it has problems with no vss. You can run a manual transmission tune and they say 9 out of 10 have no issues. Well mine was the 10th. It will stumble or die under hard acceleration. Even when loading it on a trailer without ramps. It gets really annoying.

The 350 has no where to really adapt vss, and unfortunately the Atlas didn't either. I considered a jagsthatrun setup off the yoke, but sold the project. Some of the later model 205s have vss, or you can get a signal transmitter for the speedo cable from Dakota Digital. I personally would strongly consider the 4l60. If you're worried about strength, go with the 4l60 or a 400. Just my opinion as tuning vss out does not always work.

If you had running problems, it was all in the tune. The computer doesn't need the vss for the motor to run. Fuel and timing maps really need to be monitored while driving the vehicle to get it right and adjusted from there. The vss is main chore in a factory set up is to tell the motor it is under load and when to shift. When the computer was flashed it should have been taken into consideration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Re: 4l60e or 350

77cj5 said:
If you had running problems, it was all in the tune. The computer doesn't need the vss for the motor to run. Fuel and timing maps really need to be monitored while driving the vehicle to get it right and adjusted from there. The vss is main chore in a factory set up is to tell the motor it is under load and when to shift. When the computer was flashed it should have been taken into consideration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

^^^This! If it can be tuned right 9 out of 10 times it can be tuned the 10th time. Thats BS. The engines and computers dont know if there #9 or #10. Get a better tuner. TONS of people on the drag strip, street and trails running LS engines with a TH350/400 behind them. If you had a th350 and NP205 bolt it up and forget about it. Your throwing money at a turd with the D20.....especially with that kinda power coming into it.

thanks for all the input, decided to go with 350 205, which was my original intention, a couple vendors tried to sway me towards the 4l60 using the vss for their opinion, one was a tuner, think I will find another tuner

KISS method has worked for years. Hard to beat a TH350 and NP205. Thats what Im putting together in my Yota 4runner truggy dealio.