• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4th Annual Twin Lakes (Whatcom Co.) Snow Run!

Sorry, it'd be great to do it the 19th... but right now its looking like a Berm will be constructed by that time. I'm trying to get more specific data about the next two weeks, but its going to get cold starting wednesday.

Sorry, it'd be great to do it the 19th... but right now its looking like a Berm will be constructed by that time. I'm trying to get more specific data about the next two weeks, but its going to get cold starting wednesday.

There is no way there will be enough snow to burm the entrance by 19th.........:eeek:

There is no way there will be enough snow to burm the entrance by 19th.........:eeek:

Even if there is a small one, when it comes up the USFS told me its closed to motorized use... I'm sure we could make it over, but not sure if we'd get in trouble.

It really depends on the snow though. If the two systems coming in the next week or so doesn't put as much snow as they say it will, then we will have to push it to the 19th.

heck, this weekend we might be seeing snow up in the 4x4 skills area.. and most likely a bunch of snow at Split Rock. I plan on going up there to see what we have. If 3000' on saturday looks pretty drab, then we can probably afford to push it out. But if we already have a foot, we'll have to do it the 12th.

heck, this weekend we might be seeing snow up in the 4x4 skills area.. and most likely a bunch of snow at Split Rock. I plan on going up there to see what we have. If 3000' on saturday looks pretty drab, then we can probably afford to push it out. But if we already have a foot, we'll have to do it the 12th.

Also, Walker and Twin Lakes are two different animals. Twin lakes gets full exposure from the cold northern wind coming out of the Fraser River Valley, while Walker gets hit by the wet, warmer storms coming in off the coast.

What this translates to is if Walker has snow, Twin Lakes probably has quite a bit more, and won't melt as readily.

Im still crossing my fingers for the 19th.:fawkdancesmiley:

Best bet is to watch Mt. Baker Ski area and NOAA's predictions.

Edit: O, and also the SNOTEL stations. This one is the closest match the "Summit" of Twin Lakes.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/site?sitenum=1011&state=wa

Yes I have the art of snow watching down. Its become a yearly ritual for me.:D

Last edited:
hehe me too. its quite fun! =D

But you're very right. whatever Walker is getting, Twin Lakes is getting more. WAY more. I'd like it to be the 19th as well, but I just don't see the latest predictions showing that being possible.

But I'm sure we'll get -some- type of wheeling in that weekend as well, it just won't be TL or the 'first' of the season ;-)

ooooooo...the 19th would give me another week to get the trans done in the truck!:redneck::haha:

gonna be a super busy weekend for me:D snow run on the saturday 12th and a warcrc comp on sunday the 13th:awesomework::awesomework:

just remembered the 12th is my anniversy. maybe i can talk to the wife into going wheeling during the day and a nice night out afterwards:redneck::redneck:

Last edited:
well it looks like the 19th is looking better than we thought. The models originally were saying it'd be cold, but this is the latest from my inside weather guy (who works at a fairly large news org in seattle ;))

Looks like you'll get about 3-6" up there Wednesday night ---then we run
out of moisture for a while -- just a few hit-and-miss snow showers.
Could see a light period of snow late Saturday into early Sunday but not
a whole lot.

Next week isn't too much better. The area might get some decent snow,
especially Tuesday into Wednesday. However, latest model indicates that
Tue-Wed may start out as a very warm rain event now (First Pineapple
Express?), so we'll have to see -- earlier models had that storm colder.
Overall, it's not looking like a whole lot of snow up there over the
next two weeks so maybe go this weekend because as of now, it looks
better than next weekend, which looks warmer and dryer. I just wouldn't
expect a whole lot of fresh snow up there -- maybe a little though :)

Not yet, still the 12th. We'll have official word by sunday if we can do the 12th or not. Its definitely a play-it-by-week thing

It's definitely a pineapple express, warmed up 10-15* in the last half hour here in Aberdeen :corn: