• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4th gen Rams, are they good trucks?

have had a lot of cummins and afew fords I drive cummins 2010 2500 deleted very happy and have a 2012 3500 306000 deleted put a trans in it very happy both lariame loaded we work on all of them

I bought a 2012 last yr with 43k miles and it has nearly 66k mostly towing miles on it now. No major issues yet except the trac bar bolt backing out, twice. I'm looking forward to deleting it at 100k. I had an '02 I bought new and it was a great truck, other than eating nv4500's.

MoparMan said:
2012 for 2500 and regular 3500's

3500 cab and chassis started def in 2010

thanks, been thinking about upgrading my 06 but didn't want to deal with the def

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Tradesman 4x4 6 speed 4x4 here. Bilsteins and 35s on it.
28,500 trouble free miles so far. I tow 9500# at least once a month while getting 11 mpg. 17-19 empty average normal driving.
The 6.7 with the 6 speed is a bit neutered compared to the Aisin and 68RFE equipped trucks, but I figure a clutch upgrade around 100k when I delete it will be the last time the trans will be into.

$42k brand new in May 2015. Pretty hard to beat when you compare what used diesels go for now days and you want reliability.

Bumping this back up....

Assuming both are clean, similar miles. The 6.7 most likely being a couple Gs more though.

Would you prefer the 04.5 - 06 5.9 cummins or an early model 6.7 cummins?

ridenrace6 said:
thanks, been thinking about upgrading my 06 but didn't want to deal with the def

I have a 2010 3500 cab chassis bought new did not come with def . I have fully deleted it and it pulls great

I got a really nice 2003 Duramax for sell, it's a 2 owner truck that was bought new in Alabama and been around here all it's life, it's a crew cab 4x4. Real nice and has not been messed with, I just had new GM injectors installed by a GM mechanic last week . It has 179k miles on it and new tires, it will be 15500, if that interest you at all, I can send more info and pics.

zukimaster said:
I got a really nice 2003 Duramax for sell, it's a 2 owner truck that was bought new in Alabama and been around here all it's life, it's a crew cab 4x4. Real nice and has not been messed with, I just had new GM injectors installed by a GM mechanic last week . It has 179k miles on it and new tires, it will be 15500, if that interest you at all, I can send more info and pics.
You could pm a pic or 2 if you want. Not sure what route im going but it sounds pretty nice.

nhl_bullitt said:
Bumping this back up....

Assuming both are clean, similar miles. The 6.7 most likely being a couple Gs more though.

If you don't mind a manual transmission I would go with the 04.5-07 5.9, but the autos in those trucks are terrible unless you upgrade them a lot but the engines respond really well to easy mods. If you prefer having an automatic transmission then I would go with an 07.5-present 6.7, the autos are in these trucks are a lot better but the engine requires more mods to get good performance out of them.

nhl_bullitt said:
Bumping this back up....

I have an 06 cummins with 101K miles and love it, I've had it 9 years now. Only problem its had is a #4 injector line, besides that everything has been perfect. If you do get a cummins, make sure you get a smarty programmer... thumb.gif

nhl_bullitt said:
Bumping this back up....

I have an 06 with 108k mi. I haven't had any issues except for the notorious AC problem. Not sure if it is the blend doors or what. I have several friends that all have 3rd gens, and they ALL have/have had the same problem.

smbroady82 said:
I have an 06 with 108k mi. I haven't had any issues except for the notorious AC problem. Not sure if it is the blend doors or what. I have several friends that all have 3rd gens, and they ALL have/have had the same problem.

Yep and the whole dash has to come out to replace them. Not fun

DallasBlade said:
I have an 06 cummins with 101K miles and love it, I've had it 9 years now. Only problem its had is a #4 injector line, besides that everything has been perfect. If you do get a cummins, make sure you get a smarty programmer... thumb.gif
Dang son, how many miles were on it when you got it? 3? Probably worth more now than then!

smbroady82 said:
I hate hearing that crap. Haha. I'm going to spend $25k and still have to tear the truck apart.

nhl_bullitt said:
Bumping this back up....

I had an 03 for a short time between my 12 valve and current 07.5 6.7 and I liked it but the 6.7 flat out goes. I know you mentioned the 04.5 to 06 but I haven't had one of those. Mine is deleted with efi live and straight piped. I average 16mpg towing my jeep and 18 around town if I leave the switch alone and keep my foot out of it. Mine is a 6 speed auto and has a billet torque converter in it for good measure. I bought it about a year ago bone stock minus a goose neck hitch with 115k on it for 21k and was more than happy to pay that. It's a 4x4 4 door big horn edition. My only complaints are the drive seat, typical tear, and the floor vent has stopped working so guessing it's a blend door thing.

zayne2427 said:
Yep and the whole dash has to come out to replace them. Not fun

I know it, a good friend did his last year.

nhl_bullitt said:
I hate hearing that crap. Haha. I'm going to spend $25k and still have to tear the truck apart.

exactly, I've thought about selling it just because of that :(

Re:

I Just bought a 06 g56 4x4, strait piped with edge ez. This is my third 24v 5.9 and is by far the best driving / most powerful truck out of the others I've had, but they were autos, I tried getting a built auto but they still suck pulling a load, the torque converter would only lock up in od so the rest of the time your just blowing thru the converter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ive got what you want. https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/6049099711.html