• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

5.13's or 5.38's

2pwrlftrs4u

NWW Meanie
dithching the 4.56's. thoughts on 5.13's vs 5.38's. not much of a difference when messing around with gear calculators. a little over 100 RPMs at 70 MPH. is there a common issue with the 5.38's like many complain about toyota 5.29's pinion strength?

2003 TJ

here's what the set up will look like:

4.0, D44/8.8, NV3550, 37" tires.

undecided on tcase:

JB Conversion's built NP231 - 4 to 1
Atlas II 4.3

The issue with the toyotas is in the 5.71 ratio.. Very little contact between the teeth on the R&P.

Guess it depends on how low you wanna go. Not a huge difference like you said, but enough to notice when you are crawling over stuff.

I have some G2 5.13s I was going to put into my Dana 44 if you are interested.

The issue with the toyotas is in the 5.71 ratio.. Very little contact between the teeth on the R&P.

Guess it depends on how low you wanna go. Not a huge difference like you said, but enough to notice when you are crawling over stuff.

ya i mainly want the extra gearing for crawling.

however PM me about the 5.13's... Low pinion right?

thanks

The same issue is present on the 5.29s also. Not much difference when both are set up properly.

To the OP, run the 5.38s.

If you are going to make a gear purchase, 5.13 are not very much deeper than your current 4.56s. I would get as deep as I could.

Remeber the RPMs are not the only consideration when purchasing gear ratios.

Just because you can achieve the exact same RMP as it was stock but with 37s now, doent mean that you regained the power you lost to adding VERY heavy tires and rims.

Get a step deeper than matching stock RPMs if you can.

I have NO advice to offer as far as jeep/ford axles go for strength.

can you get 5.38's for an 8.8?

I am also concerned for your D44 axles which will be the breaking point once you get down to 5.38's... get some chromo and longfield u-joints....

thanks mike/brad, good point about the added tire/wheel and overall weight of vehicle

I am also concerned for your D44 axles which will be the breaking point once you get down to 5.38's... get some chromo and longfield u-joints....

thanks, i do have chromo shafts in the D44 just didnt mention it

getting conflicting info from vendor about 5.38s for 8.8. randy's and yukon's sites goes 5.13 to 5.71 :mad:

Last edited:

PBB Vendor said:
Yukon and USA Standard do not offer the 5.38's for the Ford 8.8. I assumed they did because they offer the 5.13's and 5.71's so I figured they made a 5.38 as well but that is not the case.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to get the 5.13's ordered.

no 5.38's for the 8.8

i dont think yukon made 5.38s for my 14bolt or d60 either, and i went with 5.13's

honestly i dont think you will notice a difference between the two....