• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

5.3 or 6.0

smbroady82 said:
Lets hear it, pros and cons of both LS style 5.3 vs 6.0, other than cost obviously.

Older 5.3s have more hp out of the box than the 6.0s and cost a ton less. But, if you get a 5.3 and are the least bit unhappy, you will always think of how you should have went with a 6.0. 6.0s can run l92/ls3 heads, which 5.3s can't. The all aluminum 5.3 ho may be a good option for you to keep weight down

Going from my old 5.3 to the lq9 6.0 there was huge difference. 6.0 all day for me no question.

If you can buy a 6.0, do it.

More torque out of the box and almost endless mods possible. With a set of LS3 heads, intake, cam and tune you're in the 500hp range which is crazy for the price you'll end up paying.

5.3 are way more limited in everyway. But they're cheap and make 300hp. And that seems enough to me.

Cheap 5.3. It's an off-road toy not a drag car or show car.
You get it hot or blow it up you pick up another one and pop it in.

jeff150 said:
I've seen you drive. Prolly stick with a 4.8. :stir:

:rolf: Thanks for the vote of confidence Jeff!

muddinmetal said:
Older 5.3s have more hp out of the box than the 6.0s and cost a ton less. But, if you get a 5.3 and are the least bit unhappy, you will always think of how you should have went with a 6.0. 6.0s can run l92/ls3 heads, which 5.3s can't. The all aluminum 5.3 ho may be a good option for you to keep weight down

Patrick and I talked about going the aluminum 5.3 route.

I should have prefaced this thread with: this will not be going in the toyota.

2.0 will be starting very soon

Eddyj said:
Cheap 5.3. It's an off-road toy not a drag car or show car.
You get it hot or blow it up you pick up another one and pop it in.

That was my initial thought. I just don't want to be left "wanting more". I'm sure it will take me a while going from 100ish hp to 300+, but I know myself too well.

I agree with what has already been stated. But to simplify, I think everyone means if you are going to leave it bone stock go 5.3 unless you go with something like a stock LQ9 or LS2 obviously. Advantage to something like a LQ4 or better is there is a lot more potential if you ever want to modify it.

Re: Re: 5.3 or 6.0

tonybolton said:
Step up...

2016 CAMARO ENGINE 6.2L LS SWAP - $9000
http://asheville.craigslist.org/pts/6043292181.html

Tony, I'll refrain from making another $ joke with you, I think we've all seen enough to last us the next decade. lol

redneckengineered said:
Haha, for real though get a 6.0. Used to be the 5.3 was the super economical choice but there are 6.0s everywhere now and they are way more versatile. Run it stock with a tune but have the ability to swap heads, cam, etc and make stupid power.

The-Boss said:
I agree with what has already been stated. But to simplify, I think everyone means if you are going to leave it bone stock go 5.3 unless you go with something like a stock LQ9 or LS2 obviously. Advantage to something like a LQ4 or better is there is a lot more potential if you ever want to modify it.

Thanks guys, all good info

Re: 5.3 or 6.0

I'd have to build a rig with a dirt cheap high mile 4.8/5.3, get my dual steering pumps, coolant connections, headers, fuel system, oil pan/oil system, wiring harness, etc etc all sorted out, wheel it for a bit then build a stroked 6.0 to bolt in its place when $ allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 5.3 or 6.0

TBItoy said:
I'd have to build a rig with a dirt cheap high mile 4.8/5.3, get my dual steering pumps, coolant connections, headers, fuel system, oil pan/oil system, wiring harness, etc etc all sorted out, wheel it for a bit then build a stroked 6.0 to bolt in its place when $ allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thought about this too so that I don't tie up too much $ in the engine and hold up progress elsewhere

decisions decisions..

Latest posts