• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

5.3 or 6.0

Jduck said:
I wonder where a 6.0 would end up if you did all the same stuff. The only cost difference would be the initial purchase of the engine. And the 6.0 wouldn't need the money spent on upgrading to bigger valves, so there's some of the purchase price back.

Broady in my opinion go with the 6.0 off the get go. The possibilities are wide open from there and the cost to install will be exactly the same.

40-60 More hp at best

muddinmetal said:
40-60 More hp at best
So guessing 460 at the crank of the 6.0. I think i remember his being 305 at the tires? That wouls only be 33.5% loss through his drivetrain. That would be pretty cool.

Im interested to see the results also. I want to get mine on his dynometer when it is finished. Sounds like a fun trip up to Knoxville.

kmcminn said:
So guessing 460 at the crank of the 6.0. I think i remember his being 305 at the tires? That wouls only be 33.5% loss through his drivetrain. That would be pretty cool.

Im interested to see the results also. I want to get mine on his dynometer when it is finished. Sounds like a fun trip up to Knoxville.

Yeah, 462-482, but you are right, that is a small loss in a 4x4 rig with big tires

I talked with Ben that built my rig and he said Ole Big Booty Judy with a 5.3 with Z06 cam, springs and made 215hp to the rear wheels
thats going through a th350, 203/205 doubler, 14bolt with 4.56 gears and 44'' TSL.
Not sure what that number is equivelant to at the crank though.
Once i get a few things taken care of a Turbo is my next step

Re:

Go 5.3 and put a single turbo on it, and Bam! You have all the power you want

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Re: Re:

zukimaster said:
Go 5.3 and put a single turbo on it, and Bam! You have all the power you want

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Problem solved!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

redneckengineered said:
I get the logic of going 5.3 when you're just dropping in a yard motor and want LS power the cheapest way possible but when you're starting from scratch with a block and building it? Don't get it. To each his own though, I'm sure it will rip.

All of this is still up in the air. The original thought was to pick up a used 5.3 for a decent price, throw a cam, springs and a tune on it and rock it. I still haven't decided.

As far as budget goes, this one is a little different because I will be robbing a bunch of parts off the toyota (wheels & tires, front axle, possibly the ORIs, possibly the rear 60 if I cheap out), and I already have an atlas to use for it. I know there are still tons of things to address but I feel like I will have a really good start.

I won't be starting with a bare block and building it either way.

You guys are giving awesome feedback and I appreciate it.

Think about it another way. Ask yourself what your HP/TQ goals are. In my option, in a buggy staying a naturally aspirated engine makes packaging everything easier.
So with that being said about 400 hp is a good mark for deciding 5.3 vs larger displacement. I say drop in whatever pops up when shopping for an engine. Spend the extra saving on a quality cooling system for the engine and trans, and reliable fuel system. Get the suspension and tires dialed in for all the traction you can get. Then if needed up the engine output.

redneckengineered said:
I get the logic of going 5.3 when you're just dropping in a yard motor and want LS power the cheapest way possible but when you're starting from scratch with a block and building it? Don't get it. To each his own though, I'm sure it will rip.
[/quote

No kidding. If I'm starting from scratch I'm looking at whatever I can get the biggest cubic inches out of

Not much going on on the ole hardline this morning..

Well my connection for LS motors couldn't find me a 6.2 (thank goodness bc they are not cheap), so I guess we will have to go for a "built" 6.0 ;D

and some nice folks let me drive their 550-600hp buggies the other day, that was the beginning of the end lol

smbroady82 said:

Well my connection for LS motors couldn't find me a 6.2 (thank goodness bc they are not cheap), so I guess we will have to go for a "built" 6.0 ;D

and some nice folks let me drive their 550-600hp buggies the other day, that was the beginning of the end lol

good call imo. mine's 500+ and I want more already. makes thing more fun for sure! :****: I'm a crawler by nature, but it's certainly fun lighting it up every once in a while (or when needed)

I think you'll be happy in that range. Your welcome to drive mine anytime you want. It's no slouch and yours will basically be a carbon copy of mine except whatever differences you choose such as cam etc. 6.1 is almost 6.2 anyway. Lol.

pholmann said:
I think you'll be happy in that range. Your welcome to drive mine anytime you want. It's no slouch and yours will basically be a carbon copy of mine except whatever differences you choose such as cam etc. 6.1 is almost 6.2 anyway. Lol.

There you go! I like that logic, I'll have a 6.1, close enough!

Re: 5.3 or 6.0

smbroady82 said:

Awesome! I picked up a 6.0 as well this weekend for whatever project I do next

af5f730819462ac23b8e676a5128f80f.jpg

kmcminn said:
I cant wait to have something with a little bit of power.

You probably dont need a 6.2 the way you drive. :flipoff1:

I'm gonna pretend that was a compliment Kevin, so thank you!

Jduck said:
Awesome! I picked up a 6.0 as well this weekend for whatever project I do next

Nice

I figured I would bump this back up, the motor is getting pretty close to being complete. I did go with a 6.0 if anyone was wondering. (probably closer to a 6.1 actually now lol)

Since I started this thread I've got to drive 3 buggies with big boy (to me) motors ( from the 450+ - 550hp) range. Pretty happy with my decision thumb.gif.

I will let Patrick elaborate on all of the goodies as some of it is Chinese to me. 450 should be a conservative estimate on the hp, but we are both hoping for a little more. I will make sure to actually dyno it once it is time, I know there's enough (500hp 6.0s on here with a cam and tune lol)

I was at a shop in Tennessee last weekend, laid my eyes on a nice looking LS with your name on it. You are in good hands :dblthumb: loller.gif

Latest posts