• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

5.3???

arctic_cat

What do you guys thing a zero oil pressure 5.3 is worth?? Here is the story. I started it one morning to go to work and it was on zero oil pressure. I tore it down cleaned the pan and pick up tube up and tried it again and still would not pick up pressure. I sent it to a guy at work that does everyone's mechanic work and he put a new oil pump on it. New timing chain and stuff on also while he had it apart. He put her back together and it held 40psi for about 2 minutes and it dumped again and went to zero. So long story short I had him pull it and I put another engine in the truck. Now I have this other one sitting here that I would like to make a few buck from if someone wants to rebuild it or something. I just don't have a clue what its really worth. Thanks in advance for any help....

Re:

The gauges in these trucks are known for going out as well so make sure you check some way other than your factory gauge.

^^ What he said, did you ever put a mechanical gauge on it to see what the pressure really was? I've changed a pile of 5.3 oil pressure sensors.

Re:

I've heard the stepper motors for the gauges in the dash go bad. My buddies oil pressure gauge on his 6.0 is all over the place.

If this turns out to be an electrical problem please do yourself a favor and NEVER go back to that mechanic

I don't think it was electrical. I put a pan of oil under it and started it after I cleaned the pickup tube and it did not suck and oil out of the pan. So I know the pump was done. He said once the new pump was in, it ran a minute and dumped again and started hammering pretty hard. I don't know, either way the new motor is in and I would like to sell the old one if possible. If not I may just keep it and rebuild it little by little and save it for my truck again or the wifes Yukon.

I can call the junkyard and get a running 5.3 for less than $400 if all I need is the motor. IIRC I paid $200 for my mockup 5.3. Mild fire, intake is a little crispy, less than 150k miles.