• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

5-speed Options behine SBC

mark

So, I got my FIL's previously mentioned '59 Willys Truck (brought it up last year about an automatic swap) running and driving, actually running and driving pretty good. Originally I hated the shifter position, made it almost impossible to drive. Well I extended it and now its a blast.

So, the thought now it leaning toward possibly keeping it a stick, but putting something more modern. It currently has a Chevy 283 V8, t-90 3-speed with hydraulic clutch, backed by a D18 t-case. The t-90 has all the joys of a 50's vintage 3-speed; non-syncro'd first, slips out of 2nd if our not careful and its noisy. The t-18 on top of that makes cruising in 3rd pretty unbearable.

This is a street rig, but I'm thinking of keeping it 4wd just out of tradition.

What are some modern, manual transmission options to look at, that came with, or could be adapted to a passenger drop t-case (with D20 or NP-208/241/something, cheap, and readily available)

Are the S-10 5-speeds any good? Are they the same as came in the 1/2 tons? Not a lot of tranny tunnel, so it would be best if it was more of a top-loader style of the shifter was not off the trail housing.

(old pictures)
attachment.php

attachment.php

T5 trannys typically found behind the s-10's are not that strong. If I recall the input gear/bearing assy is kinda small for the torque of the SB

Hi all,

Cool Willys pu Mark!

For a five speed manual tranny that can live behind a mild small block, and has a passenger's side drop t-case, consider the Toyota W56 from the late 1980s 4wd mini-trucks.

Yeah, it is not "American iron" but it works, and is not that expensive to source.
Also, a fair amount of aftermarket support. For example:

http://www.advanceadapters.com/prod...ansmission-to-gm-v8-adapter-bell-housing-kit/

Good luck with the tranny swap!

-Alan

i believe they share the 6 round pattern,but the clocking of the IFS adapter leaves the case almost flat.not necessarly a bad thing,but clocking rings are available..that would probably work..

If you got a 23 spline GM output (used on some 4s and 2.8 V6s) or AX-15, you could run Dodge NP208 which is considerably better than the Chev version (factory rear fixed yoke for example) with a 1" clocking ring (also used on Dana 300).

Any Dodge 5 speed with 23 spline output would also bolt up.

If you got a 23 spline GM output (used on some 4s and 2.8 V6s) or AX-15, you could run Dodge NP208 which is considerably better than the Chev version (factory rear fixed yoke for example) with a 1" clocking ring (also used on Dana 300).

Any Dodge 5 speed with 23 spline output would also bolt up.
So an AX15 out of a Cherokee or similar mates up with a sbc or the t-90 bell housing already there? Tel me more, this is new to me.

No, you need an advance adapters bellhousing.
Or Novac makes one that looks pretty nice. About $350 for the adapter.... Not cheap but if I could pick up a tranny for next to nothing (which CL has none, for cheap), it might not be bad. Sounds like they are a bit stronger than the s10 t-5, and more common.

We've decided 2wd is ok for now, because I can put together a disc beam front axle for cheap to replace the worn out closed knuckle unit in there, and it simplifies and cheapens the drive train...... for now. So if anyone has a line on a priced right t5 or AX.. Let me know.

If you can find an AMC Eagle '80 to early '83 with GM 2.5 motor, they came with SR5 or SR4 trans (related to AX-15) or T5. It has the Chev pattern instead of the 2.8 V6 the later Chev 2.5s were running. It's actually the same motor as used in '66 Novas and boats. Seems GM sold AMC/Jeep a lot of leftover motors they deemed "junk". Kaiser/Willys/AMC engine guys fixed the vibes in the Buick V6 then sold it back to Chev, for which they were supposed to get the GM rotary motor for the Pacer (which was supposed to be narrower and front wheel drive)
The gas crunch of the '70s screwed that all up plus GM never got the rotary right. It was almost the end of AMC then, but Renault threw in money with AMC to get dealers to sell their cars in the US again. Sadly, they never asked any Americans what kind of cars they liked and the pitiful things they tried to sell didn't do well with "lazy" American builders making them with sloppy specs. I do sort of miss the GTA AWD 1.7 turbo Fuego I had though. That car was bad ass.

I have the closed knuckle D44 from my '73 J4000 still, but it's way too wide for that. I would score a Postal Jeep I beam front or use an Early Bronco D44 (since it's LH drop)

Last edited:
Found this up in BC, it might take some clutch/bellhousing mods, and the tcase is on the wrong side...but it seems cheap and it's gm. You can do Rubicon axles or something later :beer:

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/pts/5071596474.html

Otherwise if you could dig up a 5-speed from any 4.3 or bigger GM you should be ok, just a matter of sorting out the Tcase, which there are a plethora of adapters and interchanges available. my .02.

Last edited: