• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

53 Cj3B build, lets hear your ideas.

DHR Darren

I just made a deal on a 53 Highhood that is all original and fairly rust free since it was from the eastside.

I am going to do a mild (to most of you guys) build and would like to hear what you guys would do to it.

Plans are axles, engine/trans, 35"(+/-) tires and a very functional cage.

Requirements are it must be able to drive to a burger joint without getting arrested, retain the classic styling of the highhood, be capable for moderate trails such as the Busywild, snow runs, ect and seat four.

Which approach would you take?
(engine & trans type, tire type, suspension & axle type?)

Why yes!
5 y/o & 6 y/o midgets! :redneck:

I'm with John. There simply isn't room in a 2a, 3a, 3b, mb, gpw or, any other flatfender for kids. Too damn small. And yes, I know WW2 had seats in them. Hell.... the CJ5 seat isn't even practical, and I owned one for 20 years.

Now that I've typed that, I'll answer your original question. 4.3v6 with throttle body from a GM Astro van, S10 truck, etc, mated to any manual transmission you can find, then a Dana300 Tcase, to a D44 rear, and a YJ front D30 with quality front shafts. Run 35 inch Krawlers or KM2s

Last edited:
I agree with Tony(Treeclimber). Had an old roommate that had that identical setup but without upgraded shafts in the axles. Thing was an absolute blast and did everything very well. The tbi 4.3 in that little guy rips.
We drove it to Ellensburg from Covington for a party once. It was a blast!!!

Now I want a flatfender:cool::beer:

Now that I've typed that, I'll answer your original question. 4.3v6 with throttle body from a GM Astro van, S10 truck, etc, mated to any manual transmission you can find, then a Dana300 Tcase, to a D44 rear, and a YJ front D30 with quality front shafts. Run 35 inch Krawlers or KM2s

How are you going to run a Dana 300 to a YJ front 30?

Why waste time with an ancient TBI. If you are going 4.3 get the newest one you can. They are so well supported now there is no reason to waste time with a crusty old under powered TBI.

All great ideas guys.

My original plan was to put Toyota axles under it with a spring over & 3" all pros with a couple leaves removed.
5.29 gears, lockers and good axles. High steer and 4 wheel disc brakes.
I was thinking of a late model GM V6 and 6 speed auto.

35x15.5 TSL SX or similar. Possibly even 33's.

I want the flex of the all pros but want to pull leaves so they are about stock height. I want spring over to free up axle clearance.

All Pro is no more. Done. Gone.

There springs were the same as the marlin and TG ones. They dont flex as good as people like so they remove leaves, then they flex and and have massive wheel hop since the pack has now lost its control with less leaves. Then they sag down real bad.

Use something close to flat and not so long. You have a SMALL frame to put this all under. Somehting like a wrangler or FJ spring or a wagoneer.

Flex is not so important, low center of gravity is. A low flatfender with a tire in the air feels better than a squishy toyota thats about to roll even tho all four are on the ground.

L67 (supercharged 3.8l GM 60* V6) can be had for cheap and can be adapted to many different trans. (700r4, Turbo 350, TF904, AW4)

Big disadvantage to them is the rear facing intake, but that can be worked around.

Toyota axles for ease of finding built ones for cheap.

Stretch the body for sure.

Damn Jay, that is perfect!!
Do you have the frame dimensions written down anywhere & a parts list of running gear?
That is exactly what I had envisioned as a final product.

That sounds like a good plan.
The rearward facing intake is no biggy, a turbo would fix that. :redneck:

L67 (supercharged 3.8l GM 60* V6) can be had for cheap and can be adapted to many different trans. (700r4, Turbo 350, TF904, AW4)

Big disadvantage to them is the rear facing intake, but that can be worked around.

Toyota axles for ease of finding built ones for cheap.

Stretch the body for sure.