• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

6.0 Chevrolet 1500HD Fuel Economy Tune

Haywire383

Is there a tune for the Chevy 6.0 gas motor that helps with the fuel economy? Or is there some other tips to help with fuel economy for daily driving yet keep the horsepower for towing when needed? I have considered headers, programmers, and etc. It has the K&N cold air kit it was on it when I bought it. The truck is an 2002 with only 72,000 miles and I realize it is not going to get the best mileage I just figured it would do better than it has so far. Any help will be appreciated. I would really like to know more about re-tuning the ecm.

Thanks for your input in advanced.

Is there someone that programs or tunes the ECM's for these trucks to help with fuel economy and horsepower?

I've heard good things about http://www.wait4meperformance.com/ . A freind of mine always uses them for his GM trucks, not sure if it helped with mileage or not. I tow/ DD a 2003 Chevy 2500HD 6.0, and have been meaning to try them out.

What kind of fuel mileage increase are you looking to get end result? I just put a Diablosport Predator on mine and am happy with the performance difference and shift point changes. From my online research that's about the best out of the box programmer for the 6.0's but doing the efi live custom tune from Black Bear Performance has the best reviews as being the best way to tune a 6.0. As for fuel mileage, I don't think you can do much of anything to a 6.0 and pick up more than 2mpg, maybe 3 or 4 since yours is a 1500HD (lighter than my 3/4 ton) and it most likely came stock with 3:73 gearing so it should get better highway mileage than mine right out the gate. 2500HD 6.0 gassers 07 classic and back most all came with 4:10's.

Just google black bear performance and read about it via their website and what others are saying about their custom tunes across the board of different forums that you will most likely find in the search results.

I had a 1500 hd with the 6.0 and put a super chip program for economy on it. It got me about 1 mpg with the combo of me being easy on the pedal. I loved that truck but got 10-11 mpg if I drove like a granny. Got the same 10-11 towing or around town. Everyone I know has had the same experience. Great running motor though. Good luck.

motorhead0320 said:
I had a 1500 hd with the 6.0 and put a super chip program for economy on it. It got me about 1 mpg with the combo of me being easy on the pedal. I loved that truck but got 10-11 mpg if I drove like a granny. Got the same 10-11 towing or around town. Everyone I know has had the same experience. Great running motor though. Good luck.

Yup, there just ain't much you can do for extra fuel economy with them...like it or hate it. I have a little Saturn sedan that gets 30mpg's to compensate for it. I'm happy with my truck, if I was to sell it tomorrow, I'd prolly go back with another 6.0. Good running engines, low maintenance, and plenty of power for what I pull.

Black bear performance for better driveability and power, but it ain't gonna help much for the mpg's

Wonder why those 6 liter trucks are so bad on gas and the 5.3's are so good? Is it just the bigger trans and different rear ends?

Re: Re: 6.0 Chevrolet 1500HD Fuel Economy Tune

Trans .. 80e has a higher first gear and lower o/d .. takes more throttle to get it moving and turns higher rpm on the highway than the 60e, heavier truck ect they aren't going to get as good as a halfton 5.3. I used Justin (blackbear) a lot before and he does a decent job.. but if I were you I would try to find a local tuner.. mail order freaking sucks .

A set of long tube headers and a free flowing exhaust with a intake and a tune is about the best mpgs your ever gunna get and it wont be much more than factory but it will have more power for towing.. and if you keep your foot out of it might just get a hair better fuel economy. I've tried everything from changing to lean cruise shorter shifting ect nothing really made any noticeable difference.

sent from a payphone

In my experience, any mods done to increase MPG might as well be a fart in the wind. It's hard for me to keep my foot out of the throttle when I throw a "power adder" on it! :driving: I think keeping the truck tuned up, factory sized highway tires, and a light right foot would net you the best gains. I have also heard that wait4me and blackbear were both good to go if you wanted a mail order tune. A good tune may get you a few MPG, but I'm willing to bet it wouldn't be more than 2. In my experience, a good tune will also make the whole truck seem to run better. If it were me, I would try to find someone local to do a tune. The mail order tune would be my second option.

payne97 said:
Damn this is bad news for me took a big block ( it was getting 8MPG) out of my 89 Dooley and putting in a lq4 6.o was hoping for low teens

Best mine ever got was 13.5 mpg driving unloaded down to Auburn from my house which is a 3 1/2 hr drive and most of the trip is 60-65mph roads with little stop and go. Drove down there and back and calculated the mpgs with a calculator, not the crap on the in dash display. That's a 4x4 crew cab 2500hd with 4:10's and 33's. Normal driving around town is 10 or 11.....moreso 10. Usually gets 7-9 mpg avg when towing depending on where I'm towing to and from, lots of steep mountains to pull around where I live

May just sell the 6.0 400 and 205 and put a 12 valve in it it's at a buddies getting finished will see what it gets when it's done it'll be tuned with electric fans exhaust and air filter

Zack, you get rid of your 6.0 I want it.

My wifes yukon xl has a 6.0 and she gets 14.2-15.7 somewhare in that range. She drives interstate about 50 miles a day. Thats with a diablo sport on it.

I want to thank everyone for their help. I have contacted several places that tune these motors. Now I just have to make my mind up which way to go. Thanks again and I don't see getting much better mileage either. I can make it run better and that's always a good thing. I wish I could find some long-tube headers with the sensor places that are already coated. The only one's I have found are painted metal that would have to be sent to get coated. :cougar: hitit