• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

6.0 Horsepower upgrades?

Re: 6.0 upgrades

pillsbury said:
It sounds like a lot of you guys are replacing and spending a lot more money than you need to to get the HP and TQ #'s. Why not find a trustworthy shop that specializes and know all about 6.0L motor's

That is exactly what I did, found a shop who knew what the hell they were talking about, ordered the parts they recommended, and had them tune it. I didn't buy anything that wasn't required/needed.

Travis said:
35" BFG A/Ts, they didn't want to run the 40" treps on the dyno.

I put the treps back on today, and took it for a spin. I doesn't light up the 4ds like it did the 35s, but it is still considerably stronger than the stock 6.0. I'm really happy with the results.

You said you sent it out for Dyno Tuning? Did you send it with the 35's for that? How much did it run you?

J. J.

patooyee said:
You said you sent it out for Dyno Tuning? Did you send it with the 35's for that? How much did it run you?

J. J.
Yes, Heintz Racing in Mooresville, NC did the tuning. Nick Williams is the guy who does their tuning. Yes, it was dynoed on 35" BFG ATs, they didn't want to dyno it on 40" tires. $450 for the dyno tune.

Travis said:
Yes, Heintz Racing in Mooresville, NC did the tuning. Nick Williams is the guy who does their tuning. Yes, it was dynoed on 35" BFG ATs, they didn't want to dyno it on 40" tires. $450 for the dyno tune.

Do you happen to know if they lock their tunes?

J. J.

I know 1 thing and that is that you cant put a price tag on "quality work" and someone who really knows what they are doing. I also think that there are 2 places some people go wrong when trying to get a motor/tranny and modify it up for a rig or just in the process of getting 1 built.

1) they read too much and dont ask the professional and end up spending more money than they needed to with slim to none to show for it.

2) they complain about time distance and convienence to and from all the places that help them gather parts or build things for them.

I have never made either 1 of those things effect my decisions and i think in the end it has been my best moves yet. I am sooooo happy with my 6.0L and thank everyone from the junkyard i bought it in to the man who built it for me and the places that he ordered the custom special parts from and the man who is putting it all together.

Good luck to all of you on all your builds and hope to see all u 6.0L guys out on the trail so we can compare dyno sheets and work and our motors.

Travis said:

Do you know why they didnt want to dyno them on 40inch tires? thats odd. a true and accurate dyno read has to be done with the tires you are going to run. The shop i go to has already told me as soon as my buggy is done we will be putting it on with the tires i plan to run. as long as they fit and make contact on the dyno then thats what the dyno sheet will read. i would have told them it needs to be dyno'ed as it sits. can they do it again? or can u take it to a different shop and have it done? $450 for a dyno? How much did they charge you to tune your rig?

Just curious how long did they have your rig on the dyno and how many pulls did they make with it? what kind of dyno was it?

pillsbury said:
Do you know why they didnt want to dyno them on 40inch tires? thats odd. a true and accurate dyno read has to be done with the tires you are going to run. The shop i go to has already told me as soon as my buggy is done we will be putting it on with the tires i plan to run. as long as they fit and make contact on the dyno then thats what the dyno sheet will read. i would have told them it needs to be dyno'ed as it sits. can they do it again? or can u take it to a different shop and have it done? $450 for a dyno? How much did they charge you to tune your rig?

Just curious how long did they have your rig on the dyno and how many pulls did they make with it? what kind of dyno was it?
They were worried about running the 4ds on the dyno, so I didn't push the issue. $450 included the tuning session, the dyno was used during the tuning. I have no reason to take it to another shop, I'm satisfied with the work they did. My main concern was the fuel curve was safe, and wouldn't hurt the motor. They accomplished that. I wasn't going for every last hp I could get, in the real world, it doesn't matter. I have no idea how long it was on the dyno, or how many pulls they made, I don't care. You can have them dyno your buggy however the hell you want them to.

I took it out and ran probably 30 miles today without getting out of the rig. Awesome, usable power and temps were under control. I could use a higher stall converter for all out drag racing, but for trail running and crawling, I'm happy with the current setup.

pillsbury said:

We are currently building a 6 liter LQ4 truck engine to be used in the King Of the Hammers (KOH) race. This race incorporates both Extreme Rock Crawling and a high speed sprint across the Desert. A successful king of the hammers powerplant will have BOTH low speed 4x4 manners as good as or better than stock combined with the Appropriate power necessary to spin the 47" LTB Super Swamper tires through the tough spots as well as sustain 120 + mph across the sand.

Taken from the site listed in your signature... 47's at 120+ across the desert?? Have you been to KOH???

Sorry for the derail...

Pillsbury, you have PMed me twice about shopping with the place in your sig and seem to want to push them in this thread. Do you have any sort of affiliation with them? No offense but you seem to be very pushy about a shop which you act like you are merely a customer of ...

J. J.

patooyee said:
Pillsbury, you have PMed me twice about shopping with the place in your sig and seem to want to push them in this thread. Do you have any sort of affiliation with them? No offense but you seem to be very pushy about a shop which you act like you are merely a customer of ...

J. J.
This is typical behavior of Matt.

Which? To pretend like he is not affiliated with a place that he is a spokesman for or to be an overly-exuberant advocate of his favorite places?

J. J.

patooyee said:
to be an overly-exuberant advocate of his favorite places?

J. J.

This. And to generally annoy the **** out of people with his "opinions". He used to have a jeep with a lot of bolt on parts, and has been building, or having built, this buggy for several years now.

Travis said:
This. And to generally annoy the **** out of people with his "opinions". He used to have a jeep with a lot of bolt on parts, and has been building, or having built, this buggy for several years now.

Oh, well he seems like a nice enough guy to me. Just wanted to clear up any confusion for my own reference.

J. J.

I don't care how he is in person, I want to see him do 120+ with 47's in the sand.

I saw that **** on the site in his sig, funny as hell. 120mph I want to see it

If you find a good shop that knows their stuff then that is great, but with all the info on the net about these motors it is pretty easy to get a baseline setup and start marking good power.

Anybody know a dyno shop around Bham? I am thinking a dyno tune would be very beneficial. Travis lives up there in Nascar country, tons of dyno's up there..

WOW ok slow down everyone i was not trying to start anything or push anything. I am very happy with my build as is everyone else. I was just curious about your experience thats all. i like hearing what everyone has done. I buy parts from all over the USA. I am happy for all of u and travis u got a sick rig with a nice healthy drivetrain and i think thats awesome. I look forward to seeing you all out on the trails. Have a wonderful night everyone.

PS. I am a big fan of every single place i have bought parts from. and i would speak out and support ALL of them. EVERY SINGLE 1. All it takes is getting screwed over by a bad seller or sketchy guy in this sport to make you appreciate the times when things go well and you meet people who help you get things done right.

Yes I was at the KOH 2009 race working on a team in the pits and spent 7 days there. It was an awesome experience.

Latest posts