• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

6.4 powerstroke tow rig ???

I have a soft spot for 7.3l's myself...
e8ab801a85e89b40e2f7a5bb86fdb4af.jpg

b613ddb71fa165799b1f7e274e9c3400.jpg

Nothing is bulletproof, some are "faster" than others and some last even with poor maintenance (7.3l) but overall the 7.3 has been great for me! I am planing on getting a 6.7l though when I get some lotto payout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 6.0 that just turned 245,000 miles. It has the stud job and egr delete. I stay in the skinny pedal and it just takes it like a well paid whore.

Back to the original topic!!

We have a 6.4 truck at work. It's around 100k miles and on its third engine. Well maintained. It's back at the dealer AGAIN for a bad injector. We just replaced the complete fuel system (they won't warranty anything if you don't replace it all after a pump failure). That was $5k+. I would not buy one, but they pull great, and the rest of the truck is fairly solid. Ours is a 450 and rides like a brick with solid tires.

And as far as the pissing match goes, the 6.0 has a few flaws, just as any DoodooMax or Cummins has. Our fleet (40+ vehicles) is 90% Cummins. The old 12 valves are good reliable engines but turds in performance compared to the newer stuff, and it's about impossible to keep them from leaking oil all over everything. The 7.3 engines we have (3 of them) are decent but still have issues with things like injectors and injector cups. They also are weird in the fact one 7.3 truck will perform 100% difference than another identical 7.3 truck. Some run great, others are turds. And some will not start in the winter without help. The 24v engines are good but that VP pump is a dead on the side of the road waiting to happen at the worst time gamble. Common rail Cummins injectors require a second mortgage to replace and the early ones are only good for 100-200k miles if good filtration is used. Anything with new emissions can and will be very very expensive to repair, unless you remove all that stuff.

So pick your poison, pick the best deal or your favorite brand or whatever you like. Just do your research on whatever you like and make sure you're prepared for the cost of repairs of whatever you end up with.

Ive got an 08 6.4... bought it at 86k miles already tuned... 101k I had to replace both heads. While we were in there we did every available option for performance and durability. As well as replaced all wearable parts to the tune of about 13k bucks... After all this it was crazy fast. Spooled up exremely fast and would build 55 lbs of boost in a heartbeat. There's nothing it wouldn't pull like there wasn't anything back there. Well at 131k miles I was pulling my enclosed trailer (empty), almost missed my exit, downshifted, and POW! Cracked a piston. Luckily it didn't come apart in the block. Had to pull it all back down and put a new one in. The truck just builds so much power the stock pistons can't handle it. The only other option is a competition only piston. After that I turned the tuner back down to the lowesr setting. Still pulls like nothing is hooked... Don't get me wrong, I love my truck, but if I have to go back into the motor they'll be a 5.9 in it's place.

Jacksonwolf39 said:
Only one way to go.... LBZ Dmax!!! None of them can hold a candle to it. (Except maybe a 5.9) :stir:

agreed ;D

loved my lb7, lbz and now my lml. traded the lb7 to go from xcab to crewcab. sold the lbz ccsb to get the '16 lml (which is tons nicer all the way around)

just sayin

I know there are other solid options, but I've been extremely happy with the d-max so far

:rolf: you've lost your mind. There's quite a few comparable and superior in power and reliability.

Jacksonwolf39 said:
Only one way to go.... LBZ Dmax!!! None of them can hold a candle to it. (Except maybe a 5.9) :stir:

I agree with everyone that has said something bad about the 6.4L. We had one at work and had many problems with radiators and coolers leaking.

That being said, the 6.4L body style F450 in my opinion is one of the best looking trucks on the road, with the wider front fenders and bigger wheels/tires.

Just this morning I just got on the interstate and had caught up to a 2010 up extended cab longbed f 250 and was looking at the tailgate and thinking man I'd like to have one of those for my truck. I was running about 80 and was about to pass the guy and out of nowhere bam death wobble from hell for the f250 there was a car in front of me that slammed on the brakes as well as me and I'm just waiting for a big rollover. The guy fought it to the shoulder wobbling the whole time and the look on his face was priceless molaugh I was like WTF caused all that stupid **** it was a bone stock truck and shouldn't have done that or is that something to be expected from the coil spring trucks?

Nah.. it shouldn't have happened. He must have some extremely worn out ball joints. That's about the only thing that causes that on the 250s. There usually really good about not having death wobble. Even then it's not really that bad. He's definitely got something seriously ****ed up for it to happen like that.

My 99 f350 (leaf spring) recently started cupping the front tires and had death wobble issues... Turned out to be a bad track bar bushing.

The coil spring trucks are even worse when the track bar gets loose

truckbroke said:
Nah.. it shouldn't have happened. He must have some extremely worn out ball joints. That's about the only thing that causes that on the 250s. There usually really good about not having death wobble. Even then it's not really that bad. He's definitely got something seriously ****ed up for it to happen like that.

My 2012 developed it a few months ago. It only did it when I hit big ass bumps. I checked everything. The thing that made it go away was an alignment. It still had a glimpse of it at times, but it went completely away when I got new tires. These new coil spring front suspensions are finicky as ****. You cannot let **** wear out on them. Maintenance and repairs are a must.

truckbroke said:
Yeah they definetly ain`t as forgiving as the old leaf frontends that's fo sure.

Face it Rick....they're junk. GM is where its at :spin:

I do like that 2017 F250 tho :woot:

Yeah they ARE pretty crappy... My ford only has 368,000 and the oem track bar bushings already went out.....
:FLIPOFF: :D

I was following a dodge the other day and it started that. Couldn't see for the dust from all the shaking. Tires coming a foot off the road. scared the **** out of me and I wasn't even riding with him.

Yeah it ain't fun... They call it "death wobble" for a reason...

On a bike they call it head shake and in the most extreme case (very high speed lock to lock) it's called a tank slapper.....

Years ago I went into a tank slapper on a tweaked out kanatuna at about 165 mph...

Pulled about every muscle in my body and tore a few just hanging on... Had heel marks in my lower back.

Finally got her straightened out at about 50ish mph and coasted to a stop...

Was so violent that it popped the front tire off both beads.

Death wobble by any name suxass