• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

7.3 Alternator

hlb3

Zombie Hunter
Does anybody have any recommendations for a good replacement alternator (or what to avoid) for a 2000 7.3? I can't afford to go with some super fancy one, I don't need anything over powered, just a good quality OEM replacement that won't crap out a few months down the road.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a good replacement alternator (or what to avoid) for a 2000 7.3? I can't afford to go with some super fancy one, I don't need anything over powered, just a good quality OEM replacement that won't crap out a few months down the road.

wish I could remember the brand we use.

From any of the chain stores, a new house brand one is around $200. They all have "lifetime" warranties, but I never have good luck buy any house brand electrical parts, so I'm not even considering that.

I can get a new Delco Remy 110amp OE replacement for $120 on Amazon, which will probably be better quality than the parts store junk.

I also read about using a 140amp from a later model that has a larger case, I'm still looking into that one, but it looks like I can get one for around $150 on Amazon.

The more I'm reading, I think I'm going to go with the larger case 140amp unit from an 05-06. I saw a lot of people saying they were using a Bosch one, but that had some iffy reviews on Amazon.

Well I ended up ordering a new 140amp alternator from Advance Autoparts. Found a thread on one of the Powerstroke forums and there seem to be quite a few people running these with good results.

When I went to look up the price on their site I got a pop up good for 25% off my order, plus they have free shipping for orders over $75. So after tax I got it for $160 and it has the standard parts store lifetime warranty.

The new alternator should be here today.

I've been doing some reading and I think I'm going to rebuild my OE alternator myself. I can get a complete kit for $60 shipped.

https://alternatorstarterrebuildkits.com/

I pulled it apart today to verify what was wrong with it. The slip ring on the rotor is totally shot, same with one of the brushes on the voltage regulator.

36ab12915730ec6cdbb45e4a3eec90d1.jpg

05613fdef117e02d79444c8ed516566d.jpg

The kit comes with a new slip ring and voltage regulator, so it should be pretty easy to take care of it myself.

Got the rebuild kit today, so I decided to tackle the rebuild.

New slip ring vs old:
ea573b7b82a0a510521244ecfba33363.jpg

New slip ring installed and soldered to the rotor:
3eb85fd569de82cd9819e80d6eaa57c2.jpg

New rectifier installed and soldered on:
ffe2285d7a2be085a0d5a859540f5685.jpg

All back together:
dca72386cc77d91853a3e2c9d0cf6749.jpg

It was a pretty straightforward job, it took m about an hour to get it all back together. It was a complete kit, new front and rear bearings, rectifier, voltage regulator, slip ring, and dust caps. I figure I'll swing by the parts house tomorrow and have it tested to make sure everything is working right before I throw it on the shelf until I need a spare.

Assuming everything is working how it should, I would definitely go this route again, especially since it only set me back $60. I'd rate the job like a 6/10 on difficulty.