• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

7.3 y-pipe removal?

skinny_pedal

a guy a work to today asked me if i would lend him a hand on changing his y-pipe for the turbo on his 01 powerstroke. i said let me do some research before we start. anyhow, anybody done one? they a pain, easy, basic or special tools? :awesomework:

My up-pipe gaskest blew out so I strugled replacing the pass side up pipe and gasket and when I finaly got to tighting the bolts for the up pipe the Y pipe casting broke where the bolt threads in for the up pipe gasket. I then had to remove turbo to replace Y pipe. OK, the point is it takes a litle more tim to pull turbo but makes Y pipe replacment easy. (2001 F-350)

My up-pipe gaskest blew out so I strugled replacing the pass side up pipe and gasket and when I finaly got to tighting the bolts for the up pipe the Y pipe casting broke where the bolt threads in for the up pipe gasket. I then had to remove turbo to replace Y pipe. OK, the point is it takes a litle more tim to pull turbo but makes Y pipe replacment easy. (2001 F-350)

so can be done in a slow weekend? you would recommend removing the turbo to do it? can the y-pipe be rewelded?

so can be done in a slow weekend? you would recommend removing the turbo to do it? can the y-pipe be rewelded?

Do it in 4 hrs or less with average joe skils, I would remove turbo, no reweld, buy new. Also the up pipes should be new or they wont hold a gasket very well. Look at the up pipes where the dounut gasket rides, any wear in that area will make new dounuts leak. better off replacing Y pipe, up's and gaskets if you are in there. I cant remember if you need 12 point sockets for the up bolts? if so thats the only special tools needed.

Do it in 4 hrs or less with average joe skils, I would remove turbo, no reweld, buy new. Also the up pipes should be new or they wont hold a gasket very well. Look at the up pipes where the dounut gasket rides, any wear in that area will make new dounuts leak. better off replacing Y pipe, up's and gaskets if you are in there. I cant remember if you need 12 point sockets for the up bolts? if so thats the only special tools needed.

ok, how fun is the turbo removal then? i wanna help the guy out. i just want to know what im getting myself into

remove down pipe, unhook wastegate actuator, unbolt turbo, when re instaling turbo there are 2 o- rings that seal oil as it goes in and out of turbo, you should make sure those are good or new (another common leak area). Not rocket sergery just hard to get to the back of the turbo laying accross the engine.

Latest posts